Heat Pump Water Heater

Digging this back up since I have a bit of a functional update. Actually, more of a piece of advice for anyone who has bought a Rheem Proterra.

Go ahead and spend the $20 and order a new set of 4 thermistors.

Oooh this is great and timely info. I installed one of these at the mother in law's a few years ago, works great but lately the compressor has been shutting off. Threw some low suction error or something (don't really the number literally just deleted it earlier today), shutting the whole thing down for a bit seems to reset everything, but it keeps recurring. I'm not local but should be able to repair over Christmas if this is in fact the issue.

jeff

Oooh this is great and timely info. I installed one of these at the mother in law's a few years ago, works great but lately the compressor has been shutting off. Threw some low suction error or something (don't really the number literally just deleted it earlier today), shutting the whole thing down for a bit seems to reset everything, but it keeps recurring. I'm not local but should be able to repair over Christmas if this is in fact the issue.

jeff
99% chance that is the case. By all accounts the actual compressor assembly is solid, it's just let down by the thermistors.

When mine went out I was shocked at how much power the elements use. I know that's what I used to use to heat my water, but when you use about 3kw on an average summer day, and all of a sudden you see the usage shoot up to 12+kw it is a little bit of a shock to the system and feels super wasteful.

Last edited:
Ok so it happened again overnight per the app. Getting error A006 Suction Temperature Too Low, along with a hardware alarm that the filter is clogged. I had them wash the filter off so don’t believe that’s actually the problem. Consistent with the thermistor issue?

Ok so it happened again overnight per the app. Getting error A006 Suction Temperature Too Low, along with a hardware alarm that the filter is clogged. I had them wash the filter off so don’t believe that’s actually the problem. Consistent with the thermistor issue?
Most likely.

There is a key combination you can press to display the thermistor readings and cycle through them. One of them will be way out of whack.

A004/005/006 are all thermistor related.

This guy shows how to get into the thermistor check mode.

1702299688104.jpg

If you go into test mode you'll probably see that the 'ST' temp readout either isn't reading, or it is reading far too low. It should start to slightly climb up towards ambient when the compressor is running.

Back