Heat Pump Water Heater

ctechbob

Did the attic duct help?

I'd think that pulling hot air into the unit would be beneficial.

I have a 1st gen AO Smith hybrid water heater, going on 11 years old now. I'm still quite happy with it. As I mentioned, it cools my garage, and this is really nice when living in South FL. But getting into the truck when the garage is cool really helps, as both my wife and I are heat intolerant now.
I haven't quite made it to the attic with it yet, as it stands now it comes out of the cubby it's in and runs about 6 feet away along the ceiling. Far enough away from the unit so as not to mix the cold exhaust into the intake. I don't have any solid numbers about the effect, but it has got to be slightly better since it gets the hottest air in the garage all the time and doesn't mix with the cold. One day I'll finish getting it up to the attic, that project is just a little further down my list.

Funny this came up. I just installed mine yesterday. It’s a Richmond from menards, but is made by Rheem. Looks just like OP’s.

We’ll see what it does to the power bill.

Yes, I know I'm really pushing the clearance on this one, didn't have a lot of choice though. With nothing in front of it like that it still appears to breathe well enough.

Least I put an end to the 3 week long ordeal.

I saw mention of it online, and I think it is really dumb of Rheem to plaster that you should be in 'eco mode' all the time. Basically it runs the elements and the heat pump instead of just the heat pump. Only reason I could see that setting being better is if you're in an extremely cold climate, but for me, I'm just locking mine in HP mode and leaving it until winter. I might play around with the combined mode then.

View attachment 95939
You are missing the heat trap for the cold water intake. Might make it more efficient.

image.jpg

ctechbob

You are missing the heat trap for the cold water intake. Might make it more efficient.

View attachment 114564
No, I'm not. I used an inline trap instead of building one.

ctech,

You could run the flex duct up to the high point in the attic, then put a small fan to blow air down the duct (something like a 5-10 CFM fan would help.... ), put the fan on a relay to turn on when the water heater is running...

You'd pull HOT A** air from the hottest air of the home and the water heater would have plenty of it, even in Winter.

I'm a 100% gas water heater fan boi, but if these HP Water Heaters get better, I might switch. I feel like you could run one fairly easily on a generator.

ctechbob

ctech,

You could run the flex duct up to the high point in the attic, then put a small fan to blow air down the duct (something like a 5-10 CFM fan would help.... ), put the fan on a relay to turn on when the water heater is running...

You'd pull HOT A** air from the hottest air of the home and the water heater would have plenty of it, even in Winter.

I'm a 100% gas water heater fan boi, but if these HP Water Heaters get better, I might switch. I feel like you could run one fairly easily on a generator.

Lol, that's a lot of work for what would probably be a little gain.

I'm pretty happy with the setup now, which is why I haven't been in a burning hurry to get the duct punched through to the attic. The intake/exhaust is far enough apart they don't mix, and the garage is usually plenty warm. I'm still going to punch it through to the attic, it is just far down on my list of to-do's, especially since the wife made me drag home 2 jet ski's that need work before we can use them next year.

Yay, projects!!

I am late to the game on this deal.
I just tried to order one of these water heaters and the price changes back to regular pricing when I enter my shipping address.

I am late to the game on this deal.
I just tried to order one of these water heaters and the price changes back to regular pricing when I enter my shipping address.
They must have realized what was happening. I'm glad I got mine for $999.99