Headlights Trifecta

Usually when walking around at night I always encounter at least one car without headlights on. Today was 3 cars. Usually I try to shout headlights and point at their headlights, but sometimes the drivers have no clue what I'm talking about and they continue driving blissfully unware that their headlights aren't on. Today the first one didn't get it either, but she was at a stoplight and I yelled headlights 3 times before she got it. Second one was just passing me and I just shouted headlights once but then I saw his taillights come on after he passed me and the faint glow of his headlights. Third one was making a turn and I shouted headlights at him and he turned them on. Not sure why I even bother. Sometimes I never say a thing.

I used to go around trying to correct people for this type of stuff, many different examples not just headlights. These helpful pointers are like unsolicited advice and never appreciated. I've mostly stopped, which is all around a sad commentary on human relations.

I just flash 'em.
But I'm walking around, not in a car. You think I should carry a flashlight around and hit them with it? I don't think they'd get it.

When I'm in a car and I flash them from behind, it never seems to work. I do it several times too and they're completely clueless.

But I'm walking around, not in a car. You think I should carry a flashlight around and hit them with it? I don't think they'd get it.

When I'm in a car and I flash them from behind, it never seems to work. I do it several times too and they're completely clueless.
Maybe It is just my old eyes, but I did not see anywhere in that add that the number of lumes that flashlight puts out on high?

Maybe It is just my old eyes, but I did not see anywhere in that add that the number of lumens that flashlight puts out on high?
Oh, they always post bogus numbers so I wouldn't really believe them as you get number all over the map. Sorta like any 18650 battery that's over 3400mah is probably fake. I've seen 10,000-15,000 mah batteries advertised. But the XHP50.2 is one of the brightest ones out there that you can find in an 18650, I think the XHP70.2 is brighter but you don't find them in 18650 form. But maybe 2600 lumens.

Last edited:
Maybe their lights don't work....or they are stoned.
Yeah, that's why I wonder why I bother, maybe they'll get pulled over for driving without their lights on if they're stoned or drunk.

But I see drivers do illegal things right in front of a police car and they do nothing.

My favorite is when people with DRLs don't turn them on at night and then the tail lights are off. They see their headlights and don't realize that those are the only ones illuminated.

Usually when walking around at night I always encounter at least one car without headlights on. Today was 3 cars. Usually I try to shout headlights and point at their headlights, but sometimes the drivers have no clue what I'm talking about and they continue driving blissfully unware that their headlights aren't on. Today the first one didn't get it either, but she was at a stoplight and I yelled headlights 3 times before she got it. Second one was just passing me and I just shouted headlights once but then I saw his taillights come on after he passed me and the faint glow of his headlights. Third one was making a turn and I shouted headlights at him and he turned them on. Not sure why I even bother. Sometimes I never say a thing.

This is a good way to get shot around here.

Best policy these days is to just leave people alone. My Dad recently mentioned to someone he was following in to a grocery store that their brake lights were not working. The response was "I don't care. Mind your own business."

I mentioned to someone at work that their brake lights weren't working. Their response was "I know. I will let my extended warranty take care it next time I am in for service."

I mentioned to another co-worker that they had a headlight out. Their response was "I know. Been like that for a few months."

Our neighbor honked at a car that was backing out of a parking spot without looking at Walmart. When they got to the main intersection to leave Walmart, the other driver jumped out, punched out their driver's side window, and then sped away. A chase ensued, 911 was called, and the driver was eventually arrested.

I don't say anything anymore and just mind my own business.

I don't say anything anymore and just mind my own business.
You never know who is having a bad day/life or methed out and may decide to take it out on you. I'm getting too old to where I wouldn't fare very well in trying to protect myself. I don't even like making eye contact with people when I drive.

You never know who is having a bad day/life or methed out and may decide to take it out on you. I'm getting too old to where I wouldn't fare very well in trying to protect myself. I don't even like making eye contact with people when I drive.

Agreed! My grandfather honked at someone for cutting him off in traffic, and the other driver followed him home and sat outside his house for several minutes before finally driving away.

You simply never know.

Agreed! My grandfather honked at someone for cutting him off in traffic, and the other driver followed him home and sat outside his house for several minutes before finally driving away.

You simply never know.
I've had that happen a couple of times. Last time I think it was someone who merged onto the highway doing like 50 and cut across 3 lanes of traffic so that was too slow and they almost crashed into me. Really leaned on the horn on that one and they went ahead and merged anyway. They tried to follow me at the exit but I just switched lanes and make a turn and lost them at a light.

You sound like a crazy person!

I do something similar. I yell at people that I think their tire maybe a few pounds low!!! No instant gratification in my line of work...

Last edited:
Back