Head gasket repair in a bottle

Ok I know these products aren't the best way to solve an issue. I bought my little 96 2.3 ranger and it leaks coolant into #1 cylinder. Seems to do it when cold and stops when it's warm. No oil coolant mixing etc. The truck isn't worth tearing it down and I'm pretty sure this leak has compromised the cylinder wall some. Rust/pitting etc. So it's the perfect candidate for a fix like this. What product do you guys recommend? First hand experience is nice to hear. Will those stop leak tablets work for this? Let me know what you would use. Thanks everyone.

How many miles are on this '96?
A 4 cylinder engine isn't worth a head gasket?
Don't post this on the Ranger board (ha-ha).
It's not worth it to me personally because of the compromised cylinder wall. I'd rather drive it as is and then down the line look for an engine if I was going to keep it around. I may do that I guess it depends on how long the sealer works for 😂😂

It may work for a little while, but I wouldn't plan on putting it in a vehicle that you plan on keeping more than a few months. That stuff gets everywhere. If it doesn't work, you will need to do a lot more work than replace the engine, as it will be in the heater core, radiator, and the entire cooling system.

I'm pretty sure this leak has compromised the cylinder wall some. Rust/pitting etc.
Based on? Did you put a borescope down in and compare to other cylinders, or do a compression test?

If it has not gotten so bad as to cause the start of hydrolocking that cylinder, and not so rusted out that you expect it to end up in a junkyard soon anywyay, then head gasket replacement seems the right choice, assuming it is not a warped head or crack.

It won't work. If it were in a low pressure water jacket area, it might, or a porous block. In your case the pressure of combustion won't allow it to get to the correct area to seal.

Wheelman, Don't do it. Look for an engine. I would think that engine is plentiful. Like others have said....you are asking for trouble with other components of the cooling system becoming clogged.

Based on? Did you put a borescope down in and compare to other cylinders, or do a compression test?

If it has not gotten so bad as to cause the start of hydrolocking that cylinder, and not so rusted out that you expect it to end up in a junkyard soon anywyay, then head gasket replacement seems the right choice, assuming it is not a warped head or crack.
Yes I used a boroscope to inspect it

Attachments

• 20220907182609347.jpg
    20220907182609347.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220911_220556.jpg
    IMG_20220911_220556.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 39
It won't work. If it were in a low pressure water jacket area, it might, or a porous block. In your case the pressure of combustion won't allow it to get to the correct area to seal.
Well I do think it is just a low pressure water jacket leak.

Compression was also about 40 PSI down on that cylinder

The question is, how is it getting into the cylinder. If it's like intake manifold, you might have a chance.
I'm not sure maybe somebody with more knowledge on this engine will chime in but I don't think coolant can get in from the intake on this engine

I tried Bars once in a Ford 3.8. It lasted about a month before it blew and hydrolocked the engine which is what yours will eventually end up doing. A 2.3 wouldn't be very difficult replacing with a junkyard engine providing the body is good making it a worthwhile project.

Get the more expensive Blue Devil product, not the pour and go version. And follow the directions. It's not cheap but worked on a Mustang GT that had a slight steam issue from the exhaust off and on.
^^^This. IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS, then it will help without plugging your heater core or radiator. Those who lazy up and just pour it in, or don't follow all the steps from the extensive directions, those are the ones who end up with clogged up cooling system. And then blame the product.

I put two bottles of K-Seal (not the head gasket version) in my car, about a year apart, for a timing cover leak. It stopped the leak (knock on wood) and the cooling system has no gunk anywhere, heat gets warm as fast as it should. I've had no ill effects from it. Replaced both head gaskets and no clogged up coolant passages anywhere visible. Can't speak for the other products.

Back