HDMI splitter for devices with different capabilities?

I have a TV that does 4k HDR but won't pass the surround sound formats I want through HDMI (ARC).

I might start using a receiver that can handle those surround formats but can't do HDR.

Thus:
1. If I go source -> receiver -> TV, I lose HDR video
2. If I go source -> TV -> receiver (through ARC), I lose audio formats.

So now I'm looking at HDMI splitters: one output goes to the TV, one to the receiver. But I'm not seeing anything that guarantees I'll get what I want. Many look at the EDID from both connected output devices and pick the best common features, which I think means I'd lose both HDR and audio formats. Others claim to be able to handle different video resolutions on different outputs but I haven't yet seen that they'll do the same for audio.

Anyone know of a splitter that can maximize the capabilities of each connected output device independently?

Last edited:
DRM or Digital rights management. Most copyrighted media will detect and refuse to work with a splitter.

You need a new receiver that supports 4K and HDR. That is the only way this will work.

What you're trying to do isn't your television, it's all televisions. HDCP will not allow pass-thru of multi-channel audio through a second source. It will downmix it to a 2-channel PCM signal.

Monoprice does make an active HDMI selector that is recognized by HDCP as a source and will pass multichannel audio. It doesn't do HDR though, so you're no better off than the receiver you have.

Like I said, if you want multichannel audio and 4K HDR, you're receiver shopping.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going to keep looking but I appreciate the details; without a full explanation, it's hard to tell when you've hit a real dead end vs. just not looked far enough.

Per what MrHorspwer has indicated, it is likely the source being piped through the TV being stripped. Assuming this is a smart TV, if you run one of the native apps on it like Netflix, Amazon Video...etc you should get all the audio formats you are looking for being delivered over ARC. Confirm this. If that's the case, then it is the pass-through from the source to the receiver with the TV as the intermediary that's the issue and he highlighted, in which case the proper solution is to upgrade to a receiver that is capable of handling the video signal.

What you're trying to do isn't your television, it's all televisions. HDCP will not allow pass-thru of multi-channel audio through a second source. It will downmix it to a 2-channel PCM signal.
This used to be the case 10-20 years ago. I don't believe this is still the case today. Most modern TVs will pass multi-channel signal back to the receiver over ARC and eARC. The audio formats that OP mentioned (DTS MA, Dolby TrueHD) require high bandwidth, which means he'd need a TV that supports eARC as well as a receiver that supports eARC.

So, like you stated, it'll be easier just to get a new receiver with 4K HDR support.

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

Turns out there’s more than one device that does what I wanted. The one I settled on was the simplest: HDFury’s AVR Key.

I’m well aware that the “real” solution is to get an AVR or pre/pro with the features I want. The point of this experiment was to see if I could use an Integra DHC-60.5 pre/pro (apologies for calling it a receiver), which I picked up for a song. Turns out I can. There are minor (to me) caveats that I can describe if anyone cares, but where it counts, the AVR Key seems to work exactly as advertised: the TV gets uncompromised video up to 4K 60 FPS with HDR, and the pre/pro gets an uncompromised audio bitstream. Very pleased with the result!

Back