HD Syn 3 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get some opinions on what you guys and gals think of Harley Syn 3 motor oil. HD said Syn 3 would hold up better here in S/W Fl. due to hot summers.
I just had my first oil change per HD's recommendation at 1k miles and they recommended the Syn 3 20-50w. They also sell Redline oil.
The next oil change is due at 5k.
My bike is a HD 2012 XL1200C.

Many thanks for your 2cents worth.......for or against HD oil

It's a "semi" synthetic oil and priced typically high... as are all oils at the Dealer.

Not a bad oil, and the conventional HD 360 oil also seems to hold up OK for 5k oil changes. There are a couple used oil analysis about that - somewhere on this board.

If you want synthetic, then the the favorites include Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 and Amsoil MCV 20W-50. These appear to give better performance than the HD Syn3 and many times they actually cost less.

My 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Klotz1
Syn 3 is good oil although for the price I would upgrade to the Red Line for sure!

THIS!! Let's put it this way - the HD oil is adequate but at the price they charge there are simply BETTER options. I have used Mobil 1 V-Twin (and even car oil at one point) oil with good results. I currently am using Redline motor oil, trans and primary fluids and am completely satisfied. If your dealer sells Redline - get it...or go to the Redline site and buy their Harley Kit with everything (but filter) included for a great price shipped to your door.

I had a Buell Blast for a short time and Syn 3 is what I had the dealer put in the engine & tranny/primary holes; it did ok...flowed better in cooler temps (below 45 degrees Farenehit) than conventional 10w-40 motorcycle oil and starting in February this year was good and fas

I always run Schaeffer's in my air-cooled H-Ds. I was using the #705 Racing 20W50 till they came out with their #707 V-Twin formula. I can't say I noticed any difference between the two.

Any 15-50 or 20-50 will be as good or better than the Harley oil.
I use Mobil 1 15-15 or Rotella 5-40 in mine. Less noise with the 5-40 and oil temps are the same.

I know I am being irrational,but I think 5K oil changes on a new,super lean,hot running,south Florida Sportster is just too long. I like affordable $5 a quart Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic and would change at 2500 max.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hal2626
I know I am being irrational,but I think 5K oil changes on a new,super lean,hot running,south Florida Sportster is just too long. I like affordable $5 a quart Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic and would change at 2500 max.

I totally agree, 5K miles is just too much with these hot engines! I go 2500 & use a Synthetic 20w-50.

Why change early? Have you done UOA to see if your oil is bad? The HD engine with its roller-everything is actually pretty easy on oil. Especially since it does not share its sump with a clutch or gearbox.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Valvoline VR1 20w-50

HA-HA ! That stuff holds up very well !

We're running it in three bikes now. Got five cases of the "SM" when it was on sale. Final cost: $2.29/quart

grin.gif

Since my warranty is 2 years with HD and they offer Redline I'll probably used Redline over Syn3.
I do agree that Mobil 1 is probably a lot better than HD oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back