Havoline user now uses cheapest oil I can find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I think the Havoline isn't as good anymore, I'm just sick of the purpetual price increases. It's gotten to be as expensive as some of the cheaper full syns and I just think think the price of all the boutique brands has gotten out of hand. I'm now buying Super Tech as my form of protest against the ridiculous prices. All oils are made by some brand name company anyway, so I'm sure the ST is more than acceptable oil...

All oils made now are good unless you have some high tech motor like a tdi.
Some days i can't see why this site even exists.
Not one person on here keeps their cars long enough for oci's and lab tests to be relevant.
Its more about ocd's and the American tradition of thinking we "have the best"
What a bunch of moroons.....

Originally Posted By: chad8
Not one person on here keeps their cars long enough for oci's and lab tests to be relevant.

+1
crackmeup2.gif

All that is needed is a proper rated and recommended base type oil from a quality company changed at a reasonable interval depening upon the base stock . Always been that way allways will

How much was the Havoline, that it got you all fired up. It is usually about 14 dollars a jug at my WM. This vs 10.88 for the cheapest ST dont seem like much of a stretch. Im not being augmentative, just wondering.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Not that I think the Havoline isn't as good anymore, I'm just sick of the purpetual price increases. It's gotten to be as expensive as some of the cheaper full syns and I just think think the price of all the boutique brands has gotten out of hand. I'm now buying Super Tech as my form of protest against the ridiculous prices. All oils are made by some brand name company anyway, so I'm sure the ST is more than acceptable oil...

I think Havoline is the same as Chevron Supreme. Chevron and Texaco are the same company.

In case anyone hasnt seen this,I just got the PDS of Super Tech 10W30 and 10W40.They look like very good oils.

10W30
Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60°F NA NA 0.8717
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.83
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100°C, cSt 9.3 ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40°C, cSt NA NA 67.73
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 138
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA 7000 6249
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.085
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 0.08 0.077
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.214
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.0079
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA 0.5 0.309
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92
TM
Conventional 10W-30 API Performance SN/GF-5
• Super Tech Conventional Motor Oil contains only the highest quality, hydro-treated lubricating oils and a technologically advanced additive
system, which includes detergents, dispersants, viscosity improver, anti-wear and anti-friction agents as well as oxidation and corrosion
inhibitors.
• Reduced friction for excellent protection against wear and improved fuel economy
• High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
• Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH
and ILSAC GF-3, GF-4 and GF-5.
12/9/2010

10W40

Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60°F NA NA 0.8710
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.96
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100°C, cSt N/A N/A 15.33
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40°C, cSt NA NA 106.5
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 152
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA N/A 6771
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.091
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 0.08 0.079
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.169
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.0079
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA 0.5 0.315
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92
TM
Conventional 10W-40 API Performance SN
• Super Tech Conventional Motor Oil contains only the highest quality, hydro-treated lubricating oils and a technologically advanced additive
system, which includes detergents, dispersants, viscosity improver, anti-wear and anti-friction agents as well as oxidation and corrosion
inhibitors.
• Reduced friction for excellent protection against wear and improved fuel economy
• High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
• Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH
12/9/2010

Originally Posted By: jstutz
How much was the Havoline, that it got you all fired up. It is usually about 14 dollars a jug at my WM. This vs 10.88 for the cheapest ST dont seem like much of a stretch. Im not being augmentative, just wondering.

Last time I bought Havoline it was over $3 a qt. Way too much for dino IMO...

This site makes bitog almost obsolete.

Not for me.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
I think Havoline is the same as Chevron Supreme.

Chevron Supreme: currently available (6 case limit) at Costco for $20 per case/$1.67 per qt. including the $9/case coupon.

Even at full price, $2.42/qt beats most other vendor's prices for a quality oil.

I somewhat agree but I don't see how, "American tradition of thinking we 'have it best'" fits into the argument.

.....Unless you own a 1988 Toyota, like I do.....

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: Loobed
I think Havoline is the same as Chevron Supreme.

Chevron Supreme: currently available (6 case limit) at Costco for $20 per case/$1.67 per qt. including the $9/case coupon.

Even at full price, $2.42/qt beats most other vendor's prices for a quality oil.

I love Chevron (which is basically the same oil as Havoline), and I would certainly buy it at that price, but it isn't sold in my area...at least I've never been able to find it anyway...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
super tech is a great oil at a good price...Not as good as it once was but still ok..

I don't know if I buy that it's not as good as it once was...dinos continue to get better, not worse...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Oh, Havoline is still a very good oil, it's just gotten more expensive at it's regular everyday price as compared to the way it used to be(especially when they use to have rebates all of the time). Where I shop, Havoline is still less money than other oils. A little less than name brand oils/a little more than store brand oils. I'll still buy it when on sale although these days, I only see it as a 5qts-w/filter special. Use Havoline with confidence, it's a good oil for the money!

At one time, Chevron/Havoline oils were the bargin of the oil market. Chevron's everyday price was typicaly lower than most and Havoline was always on sale/rebate...Different today!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back