Havoline ProDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your way too emotionally invested in a random online comment simply stating what happened when my oil was changed. Gas mileage can 100% be affected by oil. Surely someone would get better gas milage if the they put in redline versus supertech conventional. Better oil would have better lubricating properties which would cause the engine to run more efficiently which in turn would give you better gas mileage. Maybe 4mpg seems drastic. However it happend. What would I possibly have to gain by making this up? I'm not partial to any brand. If you would like I could try the valvoline synthetic blend again and see if it went back down.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
I think your way too emotionally invested in a random online comment simply stating what happened when my oil was changed. Gas mileage can 100% be affected by oil. Surely someone would get better gas milage if the they put in redline versus supertech conventional. Better oil would have better lubricating properties which would cause the engine to run more efficiently which in turn would give you better gas mileage. Maybe 4mpg seems drastic. However it happend. What would I possibly have to gain by making this up? I'm not partial to any brand. If you would like I could try the valvoline synthetic blend again and see if it went back down.

Nope.

When going from a heavier oil to one of the Mobil Advanced Fuel Economy oils, in Mobil's testing, the improvement was UP TO 2%. So, if you were getting 12MPG, a 2% gain, being generous, would yield 12.24MPG. You are claiming a 33% increase in fuel economy, which is completely impossible.

It is even more clear you have no idea what you're talking about whatsoever.

Your other trolling post about Purolator filters got locked, now it's here for some goofy statements about motor oils.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
When going from a heavier oil to one of the Mobil Advanced Fuel Economy oils, in Mobil's testing, the improvement was UP TO 2%. So, if you were getting 12MPG, a 2% gain, being generous, would yield 12.24MPG. You are claiming a 33% increase in fuel economy, which is completely impossible.

And this is a brand change.

Originally Posted by kschachn

It is even more clear you have no idea what you're talking about whatsoever.

Your other trolling post about Purolator filters got locked, now it's here for some goofy statements about motor oils.

It has been here before. The comment style is familiar.

I am getting 20.3 at this moment and all short trips. I have put just over 2k and nothing has changed as idle time is up with short trips. I am still hoping that Havoline 5w20 gets some love from Havoline to upgrade it to at least Dexos approved which has fuel mileage tests or get the GF-6 certification cause I still am looking for an oil to go all year without fuel mileage dropping. Yes they're test and yes it is minimal but none the less still relevant. The Synthetic Blend is working great so far. I will be going Pennzoil Platinum if I can get 5w20 before rebate is over. Still not due for oil change for 3k more miles. I quit logging since my dash estimate is accurate as long as I don't reset every tank according to Fuelly. I stand corrected as it should matter in tenths of mpg not 2 mpg as I figured out by seeing pumps start at zero some time and sometimes not as well as tank cutoff is temperature depending. Only problem I have is I can't stick with an oil for more than one change. Going OLM or once a year with Synthetic is new thinking for me thanks to BITOG.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I am getting 20.3 at this moment and all short trips. I have put just over 2k and nothing has changed as idle time is up with short trips. I am still hoping that Havoline 5w20 gets some love from Havoline to upgrade it to at least Dexos approved which has fuel mileage tests or get the GF-6 certification cause I still am looking for an oil to go all year without fuel mileage dropping. Yes they're test and yes it is minimal but none the less still relevant. The Synthetic Blend is working great so far. I will be going Pennzoil Platinum if I can get 5w20 before rebate is over. Still not due for oil change for 3k more miles. I quit logging since my dash estimate is accurate as long as I don't reset every tank according to Fuelly. I stand corrected as it should matter in tenths of mpg not 2 mpg as I figured out by seeing pumps start at zero some time and sometimes not as well as tank cutoff is temperature depending. Only problem I have is I can't stick with an oil for more than one change. Going OLM or once a year with Synthetic is new thinking for me thanks to BITOG.

I believe I read an article that said Chevron Oronite's GF-6 ready add pack was going to be universal for their PCMOs.

I'd expect it to be the same with the current GF-5 add pack. It's highly likely that the synthetic 5w-20 meets the dexos1g2 standards, they just aren't paying the licensing fee for a grade not typically used in GM vehicles. It's par for the course for chevron, who are notoriously stingy with marketing and labeling.

Tiger
You keep saying "nothing has changed except the oil". When you read the comments of people who are telling you about the potential variation of fuel at each fill up as well as the variation of temperature and humidity and what affect that can have on fuel economy do you think to yourself. Well that makes sense? Or do you still insist absolutely nothing but the oil changed from run to run over the time period? I'm honestly curious to know.

Also please take just a moment and think about this not in MPG but think in %. If you got 20mpg say and later you got 18 that's 10% change right? Remember what Mobil says that by switching from a higher grade say 10w30 to a 0w30 you could save as much as 2%. See the difference? A 10% change is big. Just think about all the variables maybe even ones you have not considered or that you are not even aware of. If you filled up the tank and the nozzle clicked once is that an exact level of fuel? Do all pumps dispense exactly the same amount of fuel regardless of temperature? And what if that tank of fuel was blended such that it provided 3% less MPG simply by itself? Can there be variability in wind that you encounter during your drive? Lastly I know what your saying about Chevron / Havoline mentioning fuel economy on their PDS for 0w20 but please know that's more of a marketing piece. They are simply saying that 0w20 is used to help with fuel economy and it is by the auto manufacturers to squeeze every last tiny drop out of the CAFE tests. It doesn't mean the 5w20 isn't fuel efficient. Remember at operating temperature they are identical. Just saying I don't think your being honest with yourself when you say nothing else changed from tank to tank but the oil.

I am new to this Forum. I reached out via Corvette Forum and received some info re ProBlend Race Engine additive. So here is what will be done
My need is to reduce heat in a twin turbo 74 Corvette. I will be adding oil cooler and intercooler of course. Currently have Lucas Brake oil as 350ci Holbrook Racing Engine has just been completely rebuilt. (42 years garaged had some effect). I will be using ProBlend oil for engine and Wetter Water for cooling system. Currently the FITech Injection system hand held readout shows avg temp of 203-210 with an avg rpm of 1800-2300 rpm. (Being gentle with new engine) After it has about 400 miles under it the ProBlend will replace Lucas. I will promptly advise of real engine temp. I know oil cooler and intercooler will be an integral part of reducing heat but Heat is not my friend and everything that helps to reduce heat will increase performance. (Mostly)
The FITech offers about 40 different engine readings, if anyone has an Interest in this project stay tuned.

A889AFE8-3606-4CB3-87F6-CA56FCE69EF0.jpeg

26098685-1C3B-4DB3-9323-98C8C2FD9B0C.jpeg

445FBFC5-0645-4A32-8FF2-26ADAC006F4B.jpeg

D866B71E-28A2-47C5-A1FB-B7C458A842DE.jpeg

81727F12-7E0B-4B64-AD68-3E54EA361DD6.jpeg

B9D22195-C44E-4DF1-A5F9-98EF9EE6FB34.jpeg

Originally Posted by Jake777
Tiger
You keep saying "nothing has changed except the oil". When you read the comments of people who are telling you about the potential variation of fuel at each fill up as well as the variation of temperature and humidity and what affect that can have on fuel economy do you think to yourself. Well that makes sense? Or do you still insist absolutely nothing but the oil changed from run to run over the time period? I'm honestly curious to know.

Also please take just a moment and think about this not in MPG but think in %. If you got 20mpg say and later you got 18 that's 10% change right? Remember what Mobil says that by switching from a higher grade say 10w30 to a 0w30 you could save as much as 2%. See the difference? A 10% change is big. Just think about all the variables maybe even ones you have not considered or that you are not even aware of. If you filled up the tank and the nozzle clicked once is that an exact level of fuel? Do all pumps dispense exactly the same amount of fuel regardless of temperature? And what if that tank of fuel was blended such that it provided 3% less MPG simply by itself? Can there be variability in wind that you encounter during your drive? Lastly I know what your saying about Chevron / Havoline mentioning fuel economy on their PDS for 0w20 but please know that's more of a marketing piece. They are simply saying that 0w20 is used to help with fuel economy and it is by the auto manufacturers to squeeze every last tiny drop out of the CAFE tests. It doesn't mean the 5w20 isn't fuel efficient. Remember at operating temperature they are identical. Just saying I don't think your being honest with yourself when you say nothing else changed from tank to tank but the oil.

Already been addressed. To many variables. All I can say is with 3k I changed and 6 month later I am still up by 4 mpg. Oils now have additives to address fuel mileage and this oil is not Dexos so unlikely to have correct additive for fuel mileage. With new specs coming likely it will change and oils will be close to the same. Oil I am running.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/daily-protection-conventional-motor-oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 74Widebody
I am new to this Forum. I reached out via Corvette Forum and received some info re ProBlend Race Engine additive. So here is what will be done...

...if anyone has an Interest in this project stay tuned.

Welcome to BITOG, and that's a good looking Corvette. I applaud you for using a dedicated break-in oil. While Lucas isn't my first choice, it's far better than not using a break-in oil. I don't agree with babying the engine through the break-in period though. I break-in my engines by beating the snot out of them. You need high heat and pressure to get the rings to seat, and there's a limited window to make that happen before you glaze the hone job. In less than 30 minutes after initial startup, my engines are at WOT and >4000 rpm. (tune depending)

It's hard to tell from the picture, but are you running any sort of vacuum spark advance? What is the spark timing currently? Spark advance plays a big role in engine coolant temperature. This is common in boosted setups where guys often lock out the timing rather low or use mechanical advance only. This, combined with a low compression ratio (again, for boost), will result in very poor combustion efficiency at idle and part throttle which causes high exhaust gas temperatures and a lot of residual cylinder heat. If you don't have it, I would add vacuum spark advance hooked up to a manifold source below the FiTech unit. This will allow it to advance the spark at times of high manifold vacuum (ie: not in boost) and retard it back when in boost to where it needs to be. The coolant temps will come way down and off-boost drivability will improve substantially.

I wouldn't recommend Havoline ProDS for that engine. What are the other specs of the engine? Roller or flat cam? How much boost? Bearing clearances? I'm also not a fan of using aftermarket supplements like ProBlend. If you need to add something to your oil, you need to use better oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back