Havoline ProDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed after the oil change to ProDS 5w20 my fuel economy has dropped. I used excuse of idling, city driving etc. Have checked everything from computer codes to tire pressure nothing is off. I had a funeral to go to so about 400 miles and again I am off right at 3 mpg on average. I had time today to check bottles and website which now I can say it is oil. The only one that is fuel economy one is 0w20 which states an improvement of a 2% over other grades and 5w20 can be replaced with 0w20 to get fuel savings. All grades are for extended drains with severe driving not fuel economy
My situation 60 miles shorter on tank of fuel at 2.50 a gallon is costing me 7.50 a tank so savings on oil is wiped out by 1 tank therefore costing me more money
On the the trip before if I set cruise at 70 dash would show high 28 with average of 24.5 so checked this morning and it shows 23.6 and highest I saw was 25.3 and will know exact figure once I fill up but already know it is off. Less than 12k on vehicle with 20.9 average before change and 17 average after change
Lowest before change was 17 lowest after was 13
Now do I dump this or wait? 2500 miles on oil since April so I was going to April then decided to change at 5k since mileage is down now I know how much it costs more I just want to cut my losses and dump it. It is a shame cause I don't have any problems other than fuel mileage. Opinions appreciated.

Personally I doubt any change of oil to a 5w20 would cause a 3 mpg drop in mileage
However I might possibly be wrong on this issue but I doubt it

Changing your oil to Havoline ProDs did not reduce your gas mileage by almost 20% (20.9 mpg vs 17 mpg).
You couldn't have done that if you changed to a 20w-50....
You likely either have something else going on or your driving style has changed.

My Toyota generally uses a 5w-30 but I'm running Havoline Pro DS now 10w-30 my MPG hasn't changed enough to measure a significant difference up or down.

I don't think it was the oil. More likely it was the GASOHOL that you put in your tank. There is no need to dump the oil before your normal oil change interval. The oil didn't have a thing to do with your reduced fuel mileage.

Last edited:
I went to 0w40 and my fuel economy is exactly the same if we go by the fuel economy gauge. Switching oils cannot cause that drastic of a loss, for that would indicate HUGE pumping losses OR a huge increase in internal friction, aka heat and wear.

You've been on here since 2012 and you think going from a 0W-20 to a 5W-20 dropped your fuel economy to an extent you could actually measure it in real-word driving?

Please. Just please.

Now if you change it to something else and the gas mileage does not go up then the Havoline permanently ruined your engine.
smile.gif

Highly doubt its the oil but this is not the first story I've heard like this with causing a sudden and immediate gas mileage drop.

What oil did you use before? Are you using the same gas station, same driving pattern, same lead foot. One good goose off the red light can drink quite a bit of gas.

I would benchmark it really well at the same pump (miles / gallon / tank) over several fillups. Then switch back to your favorite oil. Test it for a few tanks and measure at the SAME pump.
If that increases your gas mileage back to where it was before, then you have good reason to not use havoline.

Originally Posted by kschachn
You've been on here since 2012 and you think going from a 0W-20 to a 5W-20 dropped your fuel economy to an extent you could actually measure it in real-word driving?

Please. Just please.

Careful there kschachn, you will be accused of contributing nothing to the forum and be labeled as a personal attack hound.

There is more to the story here. We may never know.

Please. Just please.

I got an idea kschachn... Try taking your attitude improvement medication... It only works if you take it consistently
lol.gif

No way it was the oil.... No way.

And calculation of fuel economy is really not all that easy to get solid results in real world conditions.

Just wind direction and speed of the wind can have a great impact on fuel economy. Not to mention what you can do with just using your right foot differently can do.

Couldn't imagine it being the oil. Winter blend fuel suggestion is very possible. Try different gas stations.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I got an idea kschachn... Try taking your attitude improvement medication... It only works if you take it consistently
lol.gif

My attitude is fine, it is just that I know for a fact that the problems in measuring real-world fuel economy has been explained before. It is not possible to measure such a thing as this outside the laboratory.

And beyond that, especially in Louisiana there is no guarantee the 5W-20 is any thicker than the 0W-20. It may well be thinner.

I'm not the only one in this thread saying it is whack, but I bet I'll be the only one called out for it
smile.gif

Please. Just please.

Never said from 0w20 to 5w20
I went from 5w20 to 5w20 Napa (Valvoline) to Havoline ProDs cause it was cheaper
I have logged 8000+ miles hand calculated on fuelly and I have tried everything to explain it as it started right after oil change. I now have 2500 miles and right at 6 months of data on this change which I would never have done if I didn't see such a drop. Only change was oil and once I change it I will see if it comes back. I can't explain it and still won't know until I change it
My reference to 0w20 was from the PDS of Havoline ProDs stating 0w20 could get better fuel mileage over 5w20 cause it was fuel economy oil unlike 5w20.

SAE 0W-20 is licensed under
the dexos1TM Gen 2
specification5 (License no.
D10216GL089). It is recommended for use in FCA,
Ford, GM, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan and
Toyota engines for either SAE 0W-20 or SAE 5W-20
applications. It can increase engine efficiency and
improve fuel economy up to 2% compared with
other common lubricant grades and provides
excellent engine protection in applications
recommending SAE 0W-20 or 5W-20 motor oils.

"Other common lubricant grades" is what they are playing with …

15W40 is very common worldwide !!!

Originally Posted by bbhero
lol.gif

My attitude is fine, it is just that I know for a fact that the problems in measuring real-world fuel economy has been explained before. It is not possible to measure such a thing as this outside the laboratory.

And beyond that, especially in Louisiana there is no guarantee the 5W-20 is any thicker than the 0W-20. It may well be thinner.

I'm not the only one in this thread saying it is whack, but I bet I'll be the only one called out for it
smile.gif

You realize that I'm just messing with you right ??

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back