Havoline Pro-RS Hits the Shelves (Walmart)

Ouch. I was sort of hoping this would come in at a little better price point. It would have to have some absolutely stellar performance before I'd bite:

5W30 $33.47 / 6 Qts

5W20 $33.47 / 6 Qts

Edit: They didn't even bother to get the Gen3 Dexos rating for it. From the looks of it, it carries no better specs than the Pro-DS 'Lifelong'.

Looks to be the next great clearance oil, hard pass for me.

Last edited:
Havoline is $19.97; 6 qts vs. SuperTech $ 19.68; 5 qts. I'll chose Havoline.
Hav.jpg

ST.jpg

Last edited:
Havoline is $19.97; 6 qts vs. SuperTech $ 19.68; 5 qts. I'll chose Havoline.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-...OLv1CguCbCrQVcujEqBoCy-4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Not really what I started the post for. Most people are well aware of the current offerings in the 6qt boxes. Many of us were waiting for the actual availability of the Pro-RS version, and now that its here, it is a bit of a letdown being quite expensive and not looking to carry much advantage other than being made of 'plant stuff' . I'm all for renewable and bio based solutions, but I'm not willing to pay an extra 70% for it.

Based on some of the people I've met over the years, a significant percentage of people are willing to pay significantly more for what they perceive to be a "green" product as opposed to purchasing a more reasonably priced mainstream product of the same or equal qualities.

I might be willing to spend a dollar or two more per 6 quart box for the Havoline PRO-RS "more ecologically friendly" relative to the "normal" Havoline PRO Lifelong Full Synthetic, but $13.50 more is just plain nuts.

Edit: They didn't even bother to get the Gen3 Dexos rating for it. From the looks of it, it carries no better specs than the Pro-DS 'Lifelong'.

The weird this is that the oil is 0.9% ash which suggests that it was probably formulated for Dexos1Gen3 compatibility, I think it's odd that'd you launch a product right now and still only certify it against Dexos1Gen2, but I guess nothing else in the Chevron portfolio is currently D1G3 so maybe they're waiting closer to September for their changeover.

Ouch. I was sort of hoping this would come in at a little better price point. It would have to have some absolutely stellar performance before I'd bite:

5W30 $33.47 / 6 Qts

5W20 $33.47 / 6 Qts

It’s about the same price as Castrol Edge EP or Valvoline EP, which makes sense.

The marketing materials were pretty clear about targeting the “ultra premium” market.

I don’t have an issue paying premium pricing for premium performance. The bio base oils can actually be very good.

It’s about the same price as Castrol Edge EP or Valvoline EP, which makes sense.

The marketing materials were pretty clear about targeting the “ultra premium” market.

I don’t have an issue paying premium pricing for premium performance. The bio base oils can actually be very good.

Valvoline EP is $25.97 at Wally’s which is a couple of bucks more than their Advanced Synthetic. At $33.xx, the Havoline Pro RS is well beyond that price difference.

I believe consumers will pay a few dollars more for a premium product but this is beyond that and it’s disappointing. The Havoline Pro DS is $19.xx and now on rollback at $17.xx. Almost half the price of the RS.

Valvoline EP is $25.97 at Wally’s which is a couple of bucks more than their Advanced Synthetic. At $33.xx, the Havoline Pro RS is well beyond that price difference.

I believe consumers will pay a few dollars more for a premium product but this is beyond that and it’s disappointing. The Havoline Pro DS is $19.xx and now on rollback at $17.xx. Almost half the price of the RS.
Valvoline EP is $25.97 for 5 qt. The Pro-RS is $33.47 for 6 qt.

6 qt of Valvoline EP would be $31.16. So IMO, the price is competitive for the same (or higher) level of performance.

This contains at least 25% plants base oil ( group 5 )which cost more then pro-ds oil for castrol bio was $45-$50 for 5 qts jugs

This contains at least 25% plants base oil ( group 5 )which cost more then pro-ds oil for castrol bio was $45-$50 for 5 qts jugs
How do you know it is designated a Group V base stock per API Annex E? Does it not meet the requirements for Groups I, II or III?

There's a rebate for $15 off your next oil change if you get a Havoline Pro RS oil change at select Havoline Authorized oil change providers, what a rip, also the nearest place to me is 150 miles away in Columbus, Ohio
You'd think if that launching a new product you'd make a more lucrative rebate to try to rope in new customers.

I have read all plants base oil is consider to be 100% synthetic there only 2 group poa group and group 5 where ester ,AN,plant base oil. I have add link old post https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/plant-based-engine-oil.333969/
There are essentially three groupings of Group designations, Group I, II and IIII which are chemically similar but differ in sulfur and unsaturated compounds as well as viscosity index. Then Group IV which is PAO. Group V is for anything that doesn’t fit into any of the other groups. I guess I’m not sure that the specific bad stock component under discussion isn’t something that would only fall under a Group V designation, is it an ester like in the link you posted? You can certainly produce a plant based hydrocarbon that would fall under Groups I, II or III. Is the stock hydrocracked after synthesis?

I do have any proof or link to show except one I give to above. I have read lubricant explain website where plant base oil is group 5 ( real lubeguard bio tech which plant base ester oil )

I do have any proof or link to show except one I give to above. I have read lubricant explain website where plant base oil is group 5 ( real lubeguard bio tech which plant base ester oil )
I do agree that people need to compare apples to apples (e.g. 25% plant based oil to 25% plant based oil).

Although, if it's the same base stock that is being referred to in this article then Novvi considers it a Group "III+". 🤷‍♂️

Back