Plant based engine oil

Just ran across Castrol new plant based engine oil on Amazon. The only cert it carries API SN PLUS and GF-5, which doesn't surprise me. Do you guy think this is the way of the future or something that will be on clearance by the end of the year?

Amazon Link

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 11.19.58 PM.png

1604982446765.png

I'm guessing the plant derived oil is " Alkenes, C10-16 a-, mixed with (6E)-7,11-dimethyl-3-methylene-1,6,10-dodecatriene, dimers and trimers, hydrogenated "

Just ran across Castrol new plant based engine oil on Amazon. The only cert it carries API SN PLUS and GF-5, which doesn't surprise me. Do you guy think this is the way of the future or something that will be on clearance by the end of the year?

Amazon Link

View attachment 33626

I ran 0w-20 Castrol bio synthetic in a Toyota RAV4 hybrid. Here is the link to the thread with UOA

The bio synthetic oil did a fine job. I would definitely use it again. Drawback to me is the $39 for 5qt jug normal cost. Never seems to be on sale when I go to buy oil.

***Edit: original link to UOA isn't working.

Last edited:
If the G-Oil and NextGen experiments taught us anything, it's that novelty marketing doesn't really pay off.

If it doesn't have superior performance at the same price, it's probably not going to sell.

If it's priced the same, with the same performance, it might sell, but probably not since you could buy the good ol 'real' oil for the same money. (Yes, I know there's not much difference in how you get the base stock, I'm thinking like Joe Consumer).

If it's cheaper (Doesn't look like it) then it's not as good as a 'real' oil. (Regardless of facts, who needs those?)

Last edited:
Renewable Lube is plant based ester. the 5w40 provided superior performance compared to the "synthetic" 502.00 oil that was on the RS6

Many esters are plant derived and used in many applications. LubeGard uses a plant grain based ester in its products and it works extremely well for what it was designed for. I would think that motor oil would be fine. Cost will be an object in selecting any oil.

Stihl HP Ultra 2-cycle oil is a palm kernel derived ester. It's chosen for the biodegradability and naturally high viscosity index. Many people complain about the smell but I love it.

Thanks for the post. I came across this organic motor oil. It’s formulated from organic plant and animal material that was cooked deep underground for more than 50 million years and then was naturally changed into methane gas. The methane gas was then brought to surface and the natural gas molecules were processed into motor oil. Then by the magic of book keeping they also made it carbon neutral. ( tongue in cheek stuff going on here.) :D

14209772-796C-4686-BF4A-3D93BCEF2D9B.jpeg

Last edited:
You asked if it will be the wave of the future or on clearance next year. My bet is they'll be blowing it out at deep discounts. Time will tell.

If it can be used with some benefit to performance and is cost effective it would be used in the standard formulations.
These separate products marketed as better for the environment (or whatever the claim) never catch on in oil.
And are destined for the bargain bin.

Well, if the oil can be priced competitively and works just as good as the other guys, I have no problem switching to it.

Its not the quality or performance - but the price thats the question.

Mother nature can put out some seriously fine product when engineered by man.

In boating with all of todays man made core materials balsa is still one of the strongest materials you can use.

Here’s a thread from 2016:

Back