Havoline observation..

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sis just bought a Malibu Maxx. The manual says to use any oil that meets GM 6094. I was thinking that this would be a great place to start using some of the AA .34 stash of Hav Syn blend, but looking at the Texaco website, the Hav conventional, and the Hav synthetic both meet the GM spec, but the syn blend does not. Does anyone have an opinion, or info why the 2 oils mentioned do meet the spec, but the probable combination of the 2 doesn't? Maybe they just didn't pay for the certification?

quote:

Originally posted by beanoil:
My sis just bought a Malibu Maxx. The manual says to use any oil that meets GM 6094. I was thinking that this would be a great place to start using some of the AA .34 stash of Hav Syn blend, but looking at the Texaco website, the Hav conventional, and the Hav synthetic both meet the GM spec, but the syn blend does not. Does anyone have an opinion, or info why the 2 oils mentioned do meet the spec, but the probable combination of the 2 doesn't? Maybe they just didn't pay for the certification?

Leads me to the next question: Does the blend in Castrol and Valvoline meet this spec? Do the HM oils meet this spec? Intersting beanoil.

Anyone know about the Havoline question he posed, and about he the question I posed of other brands?

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
It's a Chevrolet.

It ain't gonna matter in 4 years. That engine is not what is going to fall apart.

Thooks, do you think your constant GM bashing is really useful to this forum? btog is about oil. i don't think anyone here cares for you to tell them their GM is junk. go join GM bashers anonymous.
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by eddyzima:

quote:

It's a Chevrolet.

It ain't gonna matter in 4 years. That engine is not what is going to fall apart.

Thooks, do you think your constant GM bashing is really useful to this forum? btog is about oil. i don't think anyone here cares for you to tell them their GM is junk. go join GM bashers anonymous.
thumbsdown.gif

I second that!

BTW, here's my a UOA of my "junk" GM vehicle.

I took the statement to mean that GM builds a great engine that will last nearly forever, and that the body would go first, like from an accident or something. I know they won't rust out any more, like ALL cars did in the 70's, so he HAD to mean accident damage.

quote:

It's a Chevrolet.

thooks, your opinion is strong, and I respect that, but, there is too much proof for me to believe it. I driven GM since '84, and have yet to find an issue that will cripple a GM to the point of not running in 4 years, short of an accident. I recently posted about my '84 Fiero, blown head gasket, driving all the way across Florida from Clearwater to Cocoa Beach, overheating, no coolant, and the dang thing just kept going. I have a '95 K1500 in the driveway, 149,000 on the clock- runs like a top, and doesn't even breathe hard pulling the RV. Over 100,000 on a Cavalier, a Sunfire, and a Grand AM. I could go on, but I don't think I'll change your mind, nor you change mine. Now does anyone have another opinion on the question?
BTW, the Castrol website does list that all, the syn-blend, conventional, start-up, and syntec all meet the GM spec.

beanoil, i think you will have to call the havoline tech line monday. if you do please post what they have to say. i have a stash of the synthetic and the blend i got on closeout at aa.

After giving GM 4 tries and over 100K for vehicles, I can bash them whenever, however and as much as I want to.

Why do so many people think that a syn blend from a given manufacture is a mix of their conventional and synthetic oils? Its like those people that think that the addtive package for given manufacturer is the same for all grades.

I have always thought syn-blends were results of a dino & synthetic base oils mix.

I have never thought additive packages were the same for all grades.

thooks

You do have a right to bash GM products anytime, anywhere you want. Just don't do it on this forum.
It seems that if you had to go through four to find out you didn't like them. Well you know what I mean.

quote:

It's a Chevrolet.

Wow, Interesting statement.
gr_eek2.gif

My 1996 Truck just turned over 175k with nothing done to it.

My 2000 Silverado just turned in this UOA with .49 cent oil; UOA for 2k Chevy

Please post a better UOA for your non GM product.

I've owned GM, VW, Toyota, Ford, Dodge, Datsun and Honda.

The GMs were better than most.

You should think before making statements like that.
nono.gif

It just going to make people not take your comments seriously.
rolleyes.gif

Back to the orginal question, It's not going to matter what oil you use.

Just find some oil that meets API SL/SM and follow the OLM. Your covered unless you have some harsh driving. Then if you do, 3k or 3mo with any SL/SM oil.
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Wow, five whole posts before a GM bash.

I don't think the Havoline Syn Blend will hurt anything. My '04 GTO also specs 6094M and I have a couple of cases of the Hav Syn Blend from the closeout, and a couple of cases of the Kendall Syn Blend from the Big Lots closeout that will eventually go in it.

I will back thooks on this one. GM has built a pretty reliable line of engines thruout its history. The problem has been GM's transmissions, water pumps, altenators, etc... It's all about how they cut cost to stay competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back