Having kids.....1.5 per family the norm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Escalade is better in crash testing so its safer to transport the kids.
Sorry but that’s kind of stupid.

Also, so what’s wrong with a Tahoe then?

Does he have a Tahoe in his signature?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Al
The reality is that between 1/3 and 1/2 of marriages end up like yours (kids involved). 50 years ago things were so different.

Yes they were. I'm an only child. When my parents divorced I was just starting the 6th grade. In the school I attended there were 2, 6th grade classes of 35+ kids each, I was the only one who came from a divorced family. I literally had kids asking me what did I mean when I told them my parents were divorced. They didn't have a clue.

Today I'm willing to bet half or more come from either divorced homes, or else Brady Bunch families.

Very sad.

My last name is not what it should be for this very reason. To me, it was hard understanding why the guy with the same last name as me wasn't my grandfather. Took me about 10 years to figure out actually.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't regret having kids, just as I don't regret my parents having me and my siblings.
If everyone had such an anti-children point of view as shown in this thread, the world would be a dreadful place to live in.

Actually the world would be a lot better with 2 billion vs 8 billion.
China was smart having a one child per family policy. We wouldn't have 2 billion people living from hand to mouth.

My wife and I are both well educated and put ourselves in a position where we can support our daughter without financial struggle. My wife stays home with your 2.5 year old and we have one on the way. We have zero debt except a 55k mortgage on a beautiful home we can live in the the rest of our lives without settling. We've traveled the world, have dogs, etc.

I get no greater joy then spending time with my daughter. ZERO. I hope the next one is a boy!

I don't regret having kids, just as I don't regret my parents having me and my siblings.
If everyone had such an anti-children point of view as shown in this thread, the world would be a dreadful place to live in.

I agree.

Plus when they're old and sick.... no children or grandchildren will visit them.

Originally Posted By: Al

Actually the world would be a lot better with 2 billion vs 8 billion.
China was smart having a one child per family policy. We wouldn't have 2 billion people living from hand to mouth.

For a guy calling China smart, you seem to be ignorant of the current demographic problem they are facing. Somehow these smart policy makers never thought they would have a shortage of young people.

You obviously haven't lived in a system where a lot of your choices are dictated by people that think they are smarter than you or know what's best for you, well at least that's what they all proclaim. In reality their motives are a lot more selfish and sinister.

For a guy calling China smart, you seem to be ignorant of the current demographic problem they are facing. Somehow these smart policy makers never thought they would have a shortage of young people.

You obviously haven't lived in a system where a lot of your choices are dictated by people that think they are smarter than you or know what's best for you, well at least that's what they all proclaim. In reality their motives are a lot more selfish and sinister.

While I can understand your point, I'm not entirely sure I can agree with it. It's a tough one to call. The flip side to China is countries like Mexico that breed like rats in a cheese factory. And we see where that has led to. Certainly not a bumper crop of illegal NASA technicians flowing over the border. While government regulation may not be the best answer to over population, they are at least trying to address the problem. Instead of having 12 people in every house with the last name Gonzalez. It all comes down to the fact that it doesn't take any brains to eat and screw.

While I can understand your point, I'm not entirely sure I can agree with it. It's a tough one to call. The flip side to China is countries like Mexico that breed like rats in a cheese factory. And we see where that has led to. Certainly not a bumper crop of illegal NASA technicians flowing over the border. While government regulation may not be the best answer to over population, they are at least trying to address the problem. Instead of having 12 people in every house with the last name Gonzalez. It all comes down to the fact that it doesn't take any brains to eat and screw.

At the same time a significant amount of brain drain in the world lands in USA including Mexico and China. They attend grad and post grad school and tend to stay and build decent business. Go to a college graduation for graduates and post docs. Any tech or science field few of our own stupid citizens doing it, majority are brain drain from the balance of world......

Originally Posted By: madRiver
At the same time a significant amount of brain drain in the world lands in USA including Mexico and China. They attend grad and post grad school and tend to stay and build decent business. Go to a college graduation for graduates and post docs. Any tech or science field few of our own stupid citizens doing it, majority are brain drain from the balance of world......

Very true. Which even better supports the fact we as a nation are not coming up short if we choose not to produce so many offspring. Asians are academically smarter than whites anyway. So why not import them?

https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/hsts_2009/race_gpa.aspx?tab_id=tab2&subtab_id=Tab_1

Ok, so China and some other, much less well of countries breed like rabbits, what that has to do with US and Canada and the need to push a policy for family control?

Why would you be so willing to give up such a basic right when your country has no overbreeding problem? Once you open up that can of worms, there is no turning back.

My wife had 2 daughters when I met her. We had one more together.

That's more than enough IMO.
laugh.gif

Ok, so China and some other, much less well of countries breed like rabbits, what that has to do with US and Canada and the need to push a policy for family control?

Why would you be so willing to give up such a basic right when your country has no overbreeding problem? Once you open up that can of worms, there is no turning back.

money...
and
power...

why let a good invented crisis go to waste?

Said it better than I could.
cheers3.gif

Quote:
what that has to do with US and Canada and the need to push a policy for family control?

Comprehension is not your long suit. I didn't Say I was pushing it. I said they were smart doing it. Have you ever seen the grey sky in India and China caused by pollution?. Most of that is the production of electricity (by coal) and more people require more electricity.

The push will come and you have obviously been conditioned enough to accept it. Fair enough.
I'm not sure why you bring up China or India as example of smart.
If they were so smart, they would not have been polluting their environments and be the dumping grounds for the west. Their pollution problem is certainly not a product of overpopulation, as you implied. It doesn't take much capacity to provide lights for the people, but it's quite a different story when you have mega factories that house hundreds of thousands of people to make goods meant for our market.

That's how they get to make them cheap. Disregard for the environment, worker safety and other modern standards we are accustomed to. But sure, blame the overpopulation lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
The push will come and you have obviously been conditioned enough to accept it.
I have been conditioned to think logically and pragmatically. You haven't
T
that's how they get to make them cheap. Disregard for the environment, worker safety and other modern standards we are accustomed to. But sure, blame the overpopulation lol.

Again..perhaps you are a part of the French speaking sector in Canada..Ank can't put English in the proper perspective. I did not say that they did have pollution control, worker safety and modern standards in mind. But over population does CONTRIBUTE to their pollution

IDK Al, so far you managed to attack my reading and comprehantion skills where it was you that brought up China and their smart (according to you) one child policy, you brought up that their pollution comes mostly from from burning coal to make electricity and you said that more people need more electricity. All in the context of overpopulation.

Only now you are saying that overpopulation contributes to the pollution problem, which I agree with, but how much of a contributor it is, would be a wild guess. But it seems to be the first thing to be mentioned.

English is my second language though, so perhaps I don't know how do read between the lines of your prose.

I'm older now, and have no children, despite being married to a very wonderful, and very intelligent woman for 31+ years. Not sure why we don't have any, and never bothered to find out.

If I could go back in time, I'd have 3 children. I'll bet my kids would have been reasonably intelligent and successful, like all of my nieces and nephews.

Thoughts:

I missed out on a big part of life, the raising of children, the time with them, watching them grow, passing on knowledge etc. Instead, my various employers knew I had no children and overworked me. Despite my best efforts at having a life, I was simply a competent man, working foolish hours. Others "relied" on me so they could live their lives, while consuming all of my time under the "guise" of "responsibility" . Now that my health is poor, the best option is to leave specific "things" to my nieces and nephews. Quite simply, I screwed up.

I truly wish I had made having children a priority. In the end, that's what life is about.

Only now you are saying that overpopulation contributes to the pollution problem

I don't believe the world is "over-populated". Period.

I fly the globe. Quite simply, there are vast stretches of land with few inhabitants. We are nowhere near saturated.

If I were to guess, I'd say the earth can easily support double or even triple our current population. The infrastructure required would necessarily have to be constructed at about the current pace.

By the way, the Earth's population is expected to double in about 200 years due to declining growth rates. Plenty of time to grow infrastructure.

Last edited:
I am odd.

Married with five kids. 6 months to 7years old. Mid 30s. Married a year and a half before the first one was born. All kids were intentional. Multiple times have my wife and I had to explain this to people, even doctors, because it isn’t normal around here. With the third kid we were at a prenatal appointment with our wedding rings on and the doctor asked if I was the father. My wife and I were blown away by this but the doctor said I have to ask because it isn’t the case usually.

Money is tight now because we chose to send our kids to a private school instead of the public one. Money never factored into our descision to have kids. My wife quit working after the third kid because day care would have cost as much as she was making but she works part time when she can. She stays busy chasing the kids around and taking them to activities.

I couldn’t imagine life without all five kids.

An interesting thing we noticed after the third kid is the reactions of other people when you go to the grocerie store. If I take them by myself I am this awsome superhero dad who everyone admires. If she takes them all people look at her like she is a horrible single mom who can’t keep her legs together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back