Having a gun on you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...is no guarantee you'll not get robbed.

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

GRESHAM, Ore. (KOIN 6) — A man practicing his open carry right was robbed of the gun he was openly carrying.

William Coleman III was robbed of his Walter- brand P22 just after 2:00 a.m. October 4 in Gresham by a young man who asked him for it — and flashed his own weapon as persuasion.

Coleman, 21, was talking to his cousin in the 17200 block of NE Glisan St., after purchasing the handgun earlier that day, when a young man asked him for a cigarette, police said.

The man then asked about the gun, pulled a gun from his own waistband and said “”I like your gun. Give it to me.”

Coleman handed over the gun and the man fled on foot.

That's why conceal carry is preferred. Only the plus side, its only a P22, that's about as cheap of a handgun as you would want. Pretty weak for a carry gun too, .22 rimfire...

See it on the news (well used to, until they didn't want to tell that story anymore), Armagard armed guards robbed, and their firearms taken...always baffled me what they wore them for if they hand them over.

A 21 year old, open carrying a Walther .22 he just bought that day, in a bad neighborhood and at 2am no less.....
33.gif

He deserved to get his gun taken if you ask me. You can't fix stupid, you really can't....

Seeing that the guy that took his gun ran off afterwards, I am guessing the gun that he pulled wasn't even loaded.....

Just for stupidity's sake, here is a dancing banana.
banana2.gif

Yep, if you are out walking around in a downtown area at 2am, what are you trying to prove anyway? Most likely you are going to be in the headline news , love the banana.
banana2.gif

OC or CC.....is not the debate. Its a matter of proper weapon training, sad part is I would be willing to bet that more than 60% of the people that carry have ZERO REAL WORLD defensive weapon training. Most of them truly believe its not required, and they will be the guys involved in a situation that does not end in there favor.

Well, that's criminals for you.

If the law abiding citizen were allowed to roll up on a gang with weapons drawn first, things would be the other way around.

It is bleeding heart laws that are the greatest tool that the criminal uses.

Had the law allowed the law abiding citizen concealed carry this wouldn't have happened.

And criminals would be scared witless not knowing who may be carrying, even a grandma they try to rob.

So, again, laws keeping the weak, weak.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
OC or CC.....is not the debate.

The rest of what you said is true, but this situation would never have happened if he was carrying the weapon concealed. This is why I don't open carry out in public. Not only does it draw unnecessary attention, but it makes you a target to certain types of people, and in more ways than one.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The rest of what you said is true, but this situation would never have happened if he was carrying the weapon concealed. This is why I don't open carry out in public. Not only does it draw unnecessary attention, but it makes you a target to certain types of people, and in more ways than one.
This is the second story I've heard of an OCer being targeted and relieved of his weapon. Hardly common. And both incidences sounded very similar. If you're going to OC you do have to look like you somewhat know how to hold the thing and are willing to use it.

Last edited:
This is why, when off of your own property, open carry is a dubious idea.

Does Oregon permit concealed carry? Or is that option only available to criminals?

When someone gets the drop on you, options can be pretty limited, even if you are armed. Sounds like the kid's judgment and situational awareness could stand some improvement .

The situation would not have happened provided he had the proper training OC or not. CC or OC have nothing to do with it, even in this situation.
I rarely OC but there are times the I do, what other people think has know bearing on my decisions AT ALL (respectively) . Its not really my problem to deal with there ignorance towards weapons. Just the same if something happens I presume it my duty to protect them also, and they will be glad I was there OC or not!

Last edited:
The situation would not have happened provided he had the proper training OC or not.

This is also true.

CC or OC have nothing to do with it, even in this situation.

The fact is, if the man's gun was concealed, the opportunity wouldn't have presented itself to the criminal, and the man probably would have walked home that night unconfronted. As with most situations, a number of factors are at play...any one of which can spark the sequence of events that we read about in the news.

The situation would not have happened provided he had the proper training OC or not.

This is also true.

CC or OC have nothing to do with it, even in this situation.

The fact is, if the man's gun was concealed, the opportunity wouldn't have presented itself to the criminal, and the man probably would have walked home that night unconfronted. As with most situations, a number of factors are at play...any one of which can spark the sequence of events that we read about in the news.

I guess you would have to be properly trained to understand......

Between my father and 2 of his brothers they have served almost 90 years (combined) as LEO's. How many times within those 9 decades do you think a perp. tried to take there duty weapon ? MANY. How many times have they succeeded ? NEVER.

If the guy would have been CC and a situation would arise, he would have had his weapon taken anyway....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back