Why do I carry a gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought some of you folks might enjoy this:

By Maj. Lee Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.
In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.
When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.
There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.
When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

The reason I dont carry a gun:
I'm not responsible enough
48.gif

(and I pack a fairly mean right hook)

Very good points. I can't argue.
But I don't carry a gun and I would never carry a gun.
I trust in the Lord. If deadly force is used on me I'm confident my future will only get brighter.
This is a simple statement about myself and my closely held personal beliefs. If this post somehow breaks the rules of this board then Ban me for life.

Originally Posted By: BovineScapegoat
I trust in the Lord. If deadly force is used on me I'm confident my future will only get brighter.
This is a simple statement about myself and my closely held personal beliefs. If this post somehow breaks the rules of this board then Ban me for life.

It's actually a good thing that there are some folks with your philosophy. Gives the bad guys some easy pickin's so they'll hopefully leave the better-prepared alone. The Lord is the one who gave you the opportunity to protect yourself...up to you to decide. Let's not get this thread locked or deleted by injecting religion.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman

It's actually a good thing that there are some folks with your philosophy. Gives the bad guys some easy pickin's so they'll hopefully leave the better-prepared alone. The Lord is the one who gave you the opportunity to protect yourself...up to you to decide. Let's not get this thread locked or deleted by injecting stupid/rude comments .

FIX'T

Last edited:
SWSportsman,

Nice read, I liked it and thank you.

I carry everyday because I can. Anytime I go anywhere with my 80 year old Dad he will ask "boy you got your piece with you" and I'll tell him of course I do and off we go running around town doing stuff. He feels safe and I'm glad to be able ensure his/our safety, to the best of my ability. No one has ever looked twice at us loafing around on Saturdays and I would like to keep it that way.

When the guards seized Jesus, Peter had a sword. Used it to cut the guards ear off. If the disciples carried weapons well then......

Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

That seems like a great categorization on the face of it, but the more I live, the more convinced I am that there is no difference between persuasion and coercion. One may be more easily employed, more effective, or more sustainable than the other in a given situation, but there is no boundary between them. That's why salesmanship works, and why we have laws to restrict it.

I'd say reason and force are at the extreme ends of a spectrum. They are not discrete categories. If you put a gun in someone's face and they comply, to some extent they are making a "reasonable" choice to comply so that they are not killed; likewise, if you have a powerful reasoned argument for something, a reasonable person will be to some extent "forced" to accept it on pain of irrationality.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction

Agree fully and wholeheartedly.

the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm

How can this be the case "in a truly moral and civilized society?" In such a society as described in the previous sentence, there would be by definition no need for firearms among the general population.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

Isn't this another form of force, i.e. psychological? Where is the boundary between "you can't persuade me by force because I have a gun" and "it's my way or the highway because I have a gun"?

This argument depends on the assumption that the person carrying the gun is fully confident that he is reasonable at all times. I can't speak for anyone else here but I certainly wouldn't have the courage to claim that for myself, and I think that anyone who does is by definition unreasonable...

Not that I think carrying a gun is unreasonable, of course. That'd be silly. I just think you have to be careful about your justifications.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Agree 100%.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

Agree 100%. This is an excellent point. The assailant has forfeited his rights to come out of the confrontation uninjured. The only person's injuries we should even consider are the victim's, and a gun can prevent them entirely in many situations.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone.

Another excellent point. This is a very legitimate perspective that is widely held and unfairly ignored.

It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

Disagree. It's not a civilized act in and of itself. It's compensation for the existence of uncivilized people.

Originally Posted By: rewote500

When the guards seized Jesus, Peter had a sword. Used it to cut the guards ear off. If the disciples carried weapons well then......

Jesus also said "love thy enemy"
I think that can loosely translate to "don't shoot them".
I respect and appreciate BovineScapegoat comments and wish more people thought like him/her.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofastman
Originally Posted By: rewote500

Jesus also said "love thy enemy"
I think that can loosely translate to "don't shoot them".
I respect and appreciate BovineScapegoat comments and wish more people thought like him/her.

Well I know that. Jesus rebuked Peter for using it. And yes he did say love your enemy. All I am saying is that Peter carried a weapon while following Jesus. Didn't say it was right or wrong, just saying he did it.

I wish we had an option of being able to carry up here, because I would in a heartbeat. Not all us Canadians are anti-gun or against carrying firearms. We have just as much crime in the big cities here as there is in any big US city. Anytime I have mentioned to someone that qualified citizens should have the ability to carry a concealed firearm for protection, I get looked at like I grew another head. The anti-gun mentality here is disgusting and embarassing as alot of people think that all Canadians are anti-gun. Little do they know there are 7 million firearm owners in Canada.

I love my enemy. But, no way will I allow my enemy to harm my family, friends, or I. Already lost my right to defend and protect my property by useless politicians.

Carry to be 'left alone' and not to be taken advantage of!

I drive a car, ride a motorcycle, dress the way I dress, sail a boat, and carry a gun; all simply because I can and want to!

Quote:
I drive a car, ride a motorcycle, dress the way I dress, sail a boat, and carry a gun; all simply because I can and want to!

Hate monger!
grin2.gif

You don't have a right to drive a car or ride a motorcycle on public roads it is a privilege given to you.

I choose not to carry a gun personally, although I have respect for those who choose to do so. It's your right (unless prohibited by municipal laws). I've never felt the need to carry. I have never been intimidated by anything I have encountered in my 49 years to justify the use of deadly force. Don't forget your weapon can also be used on you by an unarmed mugger who would have instead just beaten yer a$s. If you encounter an armed criminal, you'd better know what you're doing or the consequences will be worse than if you were just compliant with the criminal. Having said that, I'm careful where I go, avoiding any potentially dangerous areas.

Self-defense is the necessary act of good people. Murder is the unnecessary act of bad people. I wish we lived in a world without violent, evil people, but it's simply not possible.

Yes, it is a noble thing to sacrifice your life for a great cause, but it is a despicable thing to refuse to defend yourself from a life-threatening attack, since it becomes a cowardly suicide. Anyone who refuses to defend other people in life-threatening danger becomes an accomplice in their murder.

Those who believe Jesus was a complete pacifist should refer to the cleansing of the temple. He used a scourge of cords to chase everyone out, dumped their money, and overthrew tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back