Have you ever met anybody famous?

Merle Haggard lived in Palo Cedro when I lived in Palo Cedro. He liked to be just another guy and enjoyed his privacy [not being fawned over as a performer] as a person. I grew up with Keith Hernandez the base ball player. The last time I saw him was before he left Millbrae to join the big league.

Last edited:
I've met:
Edwin Moses (Olympic hurdler)
Wally Joyner (former Angels baseball player). He was never built like an athlete and seemed genuinely surprised that I recognized him. This was during his playing days.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus and David Spade (on the same night...I worked in a gift shop next to a comedy club when I was in college)

I used to be in the same bible study group as a local detective who headlined an episode of Dateline NBC.

That I can remember.

Met Don Yenko back in 1980 and Richard Petty a couple years later. Ran into Franco Harris once along with Lynn Swan of the 1970's Steelers both were really nice guys. A girl I knew from High School dated Mark Malone when he was the third string QB of the Steelers in the early eighties, he was an arrogant piece of work. I had a class in college with Troy Benson who eventually ended up playing Line Backer for the Jets, was another really great guy to know.

I sat next to Barry Sanders in a Politcal science class in 85 ....I'm sure he got an A every test since he showed up for maybe 4 classes the whole fall sym I was at Okla State. I was about 8-9 years older than anybody in the class felt way out of place. I only needed 20 credits to grad so I could start on a MBA.

A friend and I were playing at a Par 3 in the Vancouver area in the mid-90s. A gentleman who was there alone asked if he could join us. It was Tom Wright, who at the time was best known for his role as Mr. Morgan - George's boss at the Yankees on Seinfeld. Nice guy.

Michael Douglas was shooting a movie in my neighborhood. I had been drinking the night before and was up early, a little hung over. I went out to my van at the end of the driveway to get something out of it. and he ran [jogged] by. There was a pregnant pause as I recognized him and he realized the state I was in. No words were spoken.

Mid 80's I was working the night shift [alone] in a large hanger when a man door opened and Alan Alda walked in. He was scouting for film shoot locations. Surprised his hair was all white. Few if any words spoken, we both had our jobs to do.

I met Derek Sanderson at a Sabres hockey game...must've been late 80s-early 90s. Did get an autograph but unfortunately I lost it. Seemed like a good guy.

I met Marilyn Monroe in the summer of 1960 or 61. She was doing a Grand Opening of a shopping center in Arlington Heights, IL. Not very many people showed up and she was mingling with the crowd and signing autographs. My parents had me ask for her autograph and she was very nice to me but the thing that I always remembered was how many freckles she had. She did not look the same as in her movies.

Hubert Humphrey (was friends with Dad)
Eunice Kennedy Shriver (ditto)
Robert Morse (ditto)
Charlton Heston (shook hands at an NRA event)
9th King of Thailand (shook hands at a reception. The embassy guy told me King Rama understood Americans don't bow to kings)
Meatloaf
Sonny Jurgensen
Ron Jeremy (asked if he could break in line at LAX to ask how to get upstairs. He smelled really good)
Shuttle Astronauts Beamer Curbeam and Fergie Ferguson (we worked in the same office when they were Lieutenants )
Never saw sports stars and other people on airplanes even though I flew at least six times a month for twenty years.

Most important along with Mr. Heston were Deforest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy. Some of my favorite actors when I was a kid. Both really impressed me with how nice they were.

Last edited:
Plenty of Blues hockey players and some Cardinals players. Jon Hamm the actor smelled my newborn son’s head at a Stanley Cup party in 2019. 78AEE045-9B1E-4A0D-873B-E98705D4FE14.jpeg

Looking through pics I remembered I ate NHL Commisssioner Gary Bettman’s toasted ravioli at a Blues game when they raised the Stanley Cup banner. My wife took a pic to give me crap about it afterwards. She said they brought a bowl of them in for him but I walked up and ate them. 14ED6241-97BC-4AB4-AD09-D4916113D5D3.jpeg

Back