Have you driven a Ford lately?

Yikes, do you think they will replace the stained parts? My local dealership would probably fix the bad gasket and tell me to go on my way.
Based on my past experience with a certain Ford Dealer, they would replace the gasket and when I asked about the stained parts, they would say "You bought a cheap car - and then tell us we do a bad job."

And that's an accurate quote.

Wouldn't you say that was on the upper limit of ok? I mean, I get it, it was after 160k and 8yr, not a bad run really, nothing lasts forever, but to me, as an utter appliance driver, I would find myself telling myself "it's cheaper than a car payment". Which much of the general public won't.
I thought far better than ok.

My business partner has a 2015 F150 3.5EB as well and it too has been problem-free. He has about 90K miles on it right now, totally dealer-maintained, and he's been happy. It is a pavement queen, however - no towing and no real hard driving. Haven't most of Ford's issues been more recent though?
So this F150 has 105K miles on it now and almost like it was engineered to fall apart at 100k miles it now needs $10K of work. He went out one day to start it and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The transmission ECU went out causing all sorts of problems, it needs new gaskets in multiple places due to oil leaks, CAM phasers also need to be done, the water pump is leaking, as well as a few other preventative issues that are easier to do now while they're in there. If $10k gets him another 100k miles then it's a good deal but if it's just the beginning...

This truck is 100% dealer-maintained and he has followed every maintenance item in the book to a T. This truck does no towing and most 50/50 in town to highway miles.

Nope I haven't driven a droF lately.
DZmL2Wd.jpeg

"Have you driven a Ford lately?"

Yep. Every day since 2005.
I was a Chevrolet muscle car freak since about age 15 yet when it came to trucks..... my first new truck was straight six GMC pick up. After seeing the quality (NOT) of that 1982 where the paint just flaked and peeled off and the truck always needed work to the cheap interior.
I became a FORD truck man for life after driving one. Had the F150s and even the full sized Broncos... (all my Fords had the 5.0 engines) I cant speak of Chevy truck quality or Ford as of late but the quality of Ford truck interiors and the paint and just the over all dependablity of the Fords I owned sold me when I was using - buying trucks to pull boats and hunt and fish. Taking them deep into some woods and pretty wild places. Only got one stuck once in the backwoods and never had them in repair shops. The Bronco is one I wish I had held onto. I would not have one of the newer ones. It is a disgrace that Ford CEOs and Managers all went along with the plan to STOP making cars except for the Pony! Ford produced many a nice cruiser auto in their time.

sorry PW, post 128. Poor data set for me to do much w/. I'd need to know his attention to maintenance during that time. If some of that is just going now that's durability. If replaced last wk... "p. poor". Also different models w/in same co.s can vary on durability, build quality. AND thru yr changes even same model can improve/deteriorate. It's all krazy (making for me). If I were to buy new the research would B enormous. I go for used & reports, info has rolled out to make it easy on me for a 2 - 3 y/o car purchase. Trucks I hold onto near lifetime (mine)

My Navi is getting to be a basket case. The only thing that is really hard to live with is the air suspension deciding to let itself down rather than pump itself up. Every cold morning now it seems like. I just wait for it to warm up and then go start it and it will pump itself back up again until the next time.

I work from home, if I really had to rely on this vehicle to commute to the office every day I'd probably have to get something more reliable. But as it is I'm just going to let it be for now. It has newer tires and brake pads/rotors that are already paid for, why not get your money's worth? Never mind the 5 other issues you can live with.

I like some Fords for sure, especially the trucks. But I will agree they've been slipping. Seems like you'll hear of some F-series going many 100's of thousands of miles or "my truck sucks at only 10K miles". Unfortunate indeed. If I were to buy a truck today, it would be a Nissan Titan XD, or a '18-21 Tundra.

In 2017 I was debating to buy a diesel truck. I tested the three big names; Ford, GMC, and RAM. The Ford had the best acceleration, and I was quite tempted, but I wasn’t crazy about the quality of the interior and parts of the exterior. The GMC was beautiful on the outside, but had some weird design features on the inside. The Dodge RAM interior reminded me of first class seating in a 747. The truck bed side storage compartments were nice. Unfortunately, my GF talked me out of it because she didn’t want to be climbing in and out of the cab. Just as well because I would be making huge payments that I couldn’t justify. 🙄

So this F150 has 105K miles on it now and almost like it was engineered to fall apart at 100k miles it now needs $10K of work. He went out one day to start it and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. The transmission ECU went out causing all sorts of problems, it needs new gaskets in multiple places due to oil leaks, CAM phasers also need to be done, the water pump is leaking, as well as a few other preventative issues that are easier to do now while they're in there. If $10k gets him another 100k miles then it's a good deal but if it's just the beginning...

This truck is 100% dealer-maintained and he has followed every maintenance item in the book to a T. This truck does no towing and most 50/50 in town to highway miles.

Without knowing how old the vehicle is this information is useless. Gaskets get old and brittle, then crack. I see them all the time on the 2000 Camry I maintain.

The “see what I mean - you cannot trust the engineers” comments are interesting… I think the point is more or less not trusting people on the internet over the engineers.
When you need to remove the cab of a pick up to work on the engine why would I trust an engineer?

I am a ford guy myself and an not very impressed as of late. The big 3 are in for some trouble soon. My fusion has had so many recalls that I lost count. All really stupid stuff that anyone with a first year engineering degree could figure out. Still like the car however, just blows my mind the stuff that is overlooked.

My favorite is the bolts holding the power steering rack motor will corrode and allow the motor to disconnect from the steering rack. When this happens the driver has no way to steer the car and basically will crash. So even though the steering shaft is still intact it will just turn free.

Back