Have not changed oil in 6000 miles... advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run M1 10-30 ... havent changed it in 6000, adding 1 qt every 1500 miles.. installed a new filter at 5000. ( Purolator P1 ) Mostly highway driving in Northeast.

Could I extend it to 10000 with the adding due to oil leakage / burnoff? 3.5L Chrysler '93 . thx.

Last edited:
I would want to find out why you are consuming a gallon in 6000 miles. What car, mileage, year, engine, OCI history?

Last edited:
What's the oil capacity of your engine?
Presuming that M1 is good for 8~10K, at your rate of turnover you could almost skip the oil changes altogether.

It's 6 qt's, since I use a full-size filter.. . others have suggested that I never changed the oil again 175k on engine.. just the filter...

But I'm thinking 10k OCI with filter swaps at 5k.. I don't care about the extra $$ spent...

With that consumption I would not run synthetic. My Aerostar consumes a quart every 1200 miles or so. At that rate of consumption I would think you could extend the OCI some. After all, you are putting a lot of fresh oil in.

try mobil one high mileage
You can go 10,000 miles on m1 considering all the top offs you do
Personally i would use a high mileage oil and change it every 5000-6000 miles

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
What's the oil capacity of your engine?
Presuming that M1 is good for 8~10K, at your rate of turnover you could almost skip the oil changes altogether.

Agree - just stop changing it!

10k no prob...just stop changing it haha...i would try hi mileage oil next though....my GM oil life monitor shows 68% oil life left on my 09 G5 with qs synthetic...oil has 3200 miles on it...dont worry about the 10k

Originally Posted By: Nick_Escalante
I run M1 10-30 ... havent changed it in 6000, adding 1 qt every 1500 miles.. installed a new filter at 5000. ( Purolator P1 ) Mostly highway driving in Northeast.

Could I extend it to 10000 with the adding due to oil leakage / burnoff? 3.5L Chrysler '93 . thx.

The consumption is flat? Like clockwork? No fouling on the plugs ..no smoke anywhere? No soaked air filter? I'm not sure how the domestic air box was setup, but my 92 Mitsu 3.0 merely had a foam pad that left a stain on the dirty side of the air filter.

Check your PCV valve.

Find out exactly what is happening to the oil, if you don't already know.

If it is dripping onto the road/chassis, then you could likely just skip oil canges altogether and just do filters, adding whatever oil is cheap or free (hec&, I have some you could have).
If the oil is burning due to bad valve guides/seals (ignore it), fouled PCV (fix it), bad rings (clean up w/ARX to make sure they're working right), etc allowing it into the combustion chamber, then it's introducing mass amounts of partially burned @$#& to the oil and you may be better off looking for cheap syn blends and changing at 6-8K to make sure the muck doesn't accumulate.

K

Last edited:
10,000 mile OCI is no problem. You don't need a filter change at 5000 either, but I would switch over to the M1 10-30HM oil. After a few thousand miles you may see some improvement in oil loss.

It would be wise to switch over to synthetic if you are burning oil as opposed to leaking oil to the outside.

Have look at the "Oxidation of Oil Article" topic.

Originally Posted By: tig1
10,000 mile OCI is no problem. You don't need a filter change at 5000 either, but I would switch over to the M1 10-30HM oil. After a few thousand miles you may see some improvement in oil loss.

Yea, the 10w-30 High Mileage is good stuff (IMO). Being a little thicker, it might curtail the engine's rate of oil loss. Also, the extra cleaning goodies should help free any stuck rings (a remote possibility if you've been running Syn for a while.) I'd skip the Auto RX, IMO a good syn should do just as good a job.

IMO, with your rate of oil turnover, 10K OCI is more than safe.

175K and using a quart every 1500 miles, mostly highway miles, I'd definitely use an HDEO 15w40 conventional oil. Cheapest you can find, even SuperTech from WallyWorld.

You might even get lucky and slow your rate of consumption a bit.

Nick,

If your heading in that direction then I'd consider using Mobil 1 "extended" along with a good filter that'll handle a year long OCI type oil changes. My personal preference would be do an OCI every 6 months to be safe. I don't feel confident doing once per year OCI on my cars if I went by the months instead of actual miles driven.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back