Hate Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also not a fan of Win10. I know it's a solid OS but the amount of settings I had to disable in order to make it somewhat private was just insulting.

My understanding is that the new CEO of Microsoft made Windows 10 cheap because they now use MS Updates to sell you games and entertainment. Basically it's a marketing trojan horse lol.

I'm quite happy with 7 and will stay on it for many more years.

I'm running Mint with the XFCE desktop on an older machine with fairly low memory and a relatively slow processor, and it's doing just fine.
For the past 18 months I'd been running Win10, and though I hated the flat appearance at first, after doing some tweaking with Windows Shell and other things, I got used to it. On that machine it definitely needed the 8 cores and 16GB to be happy though, and it wasn't until the PSU killed the motherboard and threw me back onto this older spare box I realised just what a hog of resources it was.
Prior to Win10 I'd spent a year running Mint KDE and it was fine, too.
It's all horses for courses - I'd say for 99% of use most flavours of Mint would suit most people, but if things go slightly wrong and you have to get under the hood of Linux, it can be a pain in the arris. The one thing that Windows has in its favour is that when you need a fix, the chances are that somebody somewhere has already done it. The same is true of Linux, but sometimes it's like knitting your own string vest out of spaghetti.

Last edited:
In general, I'm okay with Windows 10 but only because I have tweaked it to my liking. For example, I disabled Cortana and the search box in the start menu, got rid of all the tiles in the start menu and shave et up the taskbar properly. I also got rid of nonsense like the lock screen.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Linux(Ubuntu) is incredible when it works, and not for faint at heart if something on your PC or notebook does not work quite right. Except to be typing cryptic command line stuff with someone leaving out a line or having different file structure so it may not work.

LOL!

I like Ubuntu, but I can totally relate to this.

I bought a used Ebay machine with Windows 8.1. Boy, was that hard to take. Seemed a big step backwards as far as ease of use. That became my machine to try Linux on. I have not looked back. That machine was upgraded to Windows 10 just so I can test it. The updates on 10 are painful. But, in your situation you may want to try the things people recommended to make your computer more like Window 7 you love.

Re: Linux, I like Mint XFCE. But, I am using a 10 year old laptop. I do not really understand how computers or operating systems work. At times you have to use Terminal, say if you want to get the printer driver to work. I do not have a clue what Terminal is.
smile.gif
It took 6 months to figure out how to install one printer driver. Windows would take 10 minutes.

The advantage of Linux is in 30 minutes I can install some variety of Linux and go online while it gets updates. Windows tends to crawl when getting an update and needs to be rebooted more often. I find Linux very easy to use now and works very well for browsing. It does not work with some video cards. The good thing is you can try it by burning it on a CD. I found it worth the effort to learn how to use Linux. Windows 10, not so much.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I prefer XP myself but I really hate windows 8 series. Windows 10 makes you do too many steps to get some things done yet other things are really nice.

The machine I'm typing this on is still on XP because it has all my project software (ACad, ect.) and it would cost many time the price of a machine and O/S to replace/upgrade the software. Its direct companion (another identical workstation that shares a monitor, etc.) is running Win 7 for more modern Inet interface, etc.

I will not go to Win 10 ... Wife has it on her laptop and I HATE it with a passion. It feels more foreign than jumping to a MacBook ... Nothing is intuitive, the reliance on hidden services, "cloud", and rent to use software is just not for me
frown.gif

I never understand these type of critiques of Windows 10. For me, it's so nearly identical, it seems almost odd to hear people complain about it, when compared to Windows 7.

When it comes to finding things, W10's search feature is better than W7, which was WAY better than any previous OS. Every laptop comes with a Windows button. All you have to do is literally depress the Windows button and begin typing what you want and, BAM, it pops up! For instance, if you want the control panel, simply depress the windows button and start typing, "control panel". By the time "C" and "O" are entered, Control Panel is displayed. So, all you have to do, is depress the Windows button, type "C", then "O", and then press ENTER.

This is mostly true for just about any program you want to start that is installed on your PC. Easy peasy, lemon sqeezy!

Others have already mentioned ways that W10 can be customized to look like W7, if you're still having issues with the above.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I prefer XP myself but I really hate windows 8 series. Windows 10 makes you do too many steps to get some things done yet other things are really nice.

Yup, I still use Xp too! I have enough work to do without tinkering with any new windows versions, seems
like we need to get paid back for the time we lose on Bill Gates products!

i don't understand why people still use Windows.... unless it's special apps that are only windows based.
Linux really has come a long way. i've been a linux user for well over 15 years, and i know maybe 4 command line commands... just no need really. it's a great user interface.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
i don't understand why people still use Windows.... unless it's special apps that are only windows based.
Linux really has come a long way. i've been a linux user for well over 15 years, and i know maybe 4 command line commands... just no need really. it's a great user interface.

I am going back to Linux very soon, at home and at work. Windows 7 has been pretty good, but support is ending soon, and I don't trust Windows to keep running without support. My job wants me to set up a Raspberry Pi to connect to CNC control boards, so I will need to brush up on Linux commands. Anything that requires Windows can by run through Wine, anyway.

Originally Posted By: Killer223

I went all Linux for about 2 years, nice OS but like everything it's not without it's own disadvantages, issues and shortcomings.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I went all Linux for about 2 years, nice OS but like everything it's not without it's own disadvantages, issues and shortcomings.

The same could be said for Windows.

I use Windows for Work, Linux for play. Linux keeps on getting better and more functional. The main advantage is it is free and has been very stable in my experience. Windows has extra costs and Windows 10 has stuff I don't want. It is a pain to maintain compared to Linux. Each person needs to decide what is most important. They both have their place. I am not looking forward to 7 going away. I support someone who can barely use 7.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: dishdude

The same could be said for Windows.

Yep, none of them are perfect.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Windows 10 is a walk in the park compared to trying to install Linux especially if you don't know all the drivers you'll need for what you have.

That doesn't even apply any longer. I had a bigger driver hunt recently with Windows than I ever did with Linux, and that's been true since XP. The only possible exceptions are printers and scanners, but if you purchase wisely, that's not even a concern. My HP printer on Linux at home was an easier install than the HP on Windows at the office.

I haven't had to mess with a driver on Linux for the better part of a decade, and the last time I did, I was just experimenting with proprietary nVidia drivers, when the ones included in the Linux distribution worked flawlessly already.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Windows 10 is a walk in the park compared to trying to install Linux especially if you don't know all the drivers you'll need for what you have.

That doesn't even apply any longer. I had a bigger driver hunt recently with Windows than I ever did with Linux, and that's been true since XP. The only possible exceptions are printers and scanners, but if you purchase wisely, that's not even a concern. My HP printer on Linux at home was an easier install than the HP on Windows at the office.

I haven't had to mess with a driver on Linux for the better part of a decade, and the last time I did, I was just experimenting with proprietary nVidia drivers, when the ones included in the Linux distribution worked flawlessly already.

As always it's YMMV. Depends on the hardware you have. It's fine if you're vanilla, but there's lots of hardware out there and not that many people running linux vs Windows so it's hard to find support for a particular problem. I always roll my own and have no problems with Windows.

I've never had a problem with support, or, more commonly, figuring things out on my own. The nice thing is, one can always try a Live DVD of one flavour or another (or many of them), see how it works and if one can live with it, and go from there.

Microsoft's practices annoy me to no end. At least if I don't like a distro's practices, there are things I can do about it, from switching to another distro, to submitting bug reports that don't go beyond some event horizon never to be seen again, to submitting bug fixes, to forking it myself if I were so motivated.

For a person who needs something to "just work," it's hard to beat Linux. Windows has a couple advantages with a couple proprietary software packages, and has tended to have the edge in gaming. When it comes to email, browsing, and general word processing and spreadsheets, operating system is immaterial. Even when it comes down to the nitty gritty of using the operating system, enough is included in Linux as part of the basic utilities to preclude what Windows users accept as paid software.

I don't have crippled archive managers, nor differing tiers of DVD/CD burning tools, nor do I have to tolerate ad ware to back up my system, for instance.

30-year IT veteran here... and I'm a bit surprised to see nobody mention MacOS yet!

I use Windows and Linux extensively for work, as well as administration of more legacy big-iron type OS's such as SGI's Irix, Solaris, etc. But honestly, when it comes to personal computing I really prefer using a Mac. Sure they have their problems too, but at the end of the day it's nice to just pick up a MacBook knowing that it's going to work without having to mess with anything. OS needs updating to the latest version? Sure, no rush--update when you feel like it, you're not forced into it like Windows 10. Once you're ready to install, it just takes a few minutes to pull down through the App Store. World going crazy about the "Meltdown" exploit of Intel's flawed silicon because patches break peoples computers? Hmm, Apple already patched it weeks ago without anyone even noticing.

I've tried Linux on the desktop a number of times, using all the popular distros and for the most part they are very nice tp use. Unfortunately all of them eventually let me down after a few months. Usually an update breaks the GPU driver, resulting in a non-bootable condition that can take ours of hunting in forums for a resolution.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I posed this question on another thread and got some good suggestions. I put Win 10 on a desktop and hate it. I can't find stuff or do things I've been doing for years on Win 7. I'm in my 60's and haven't found one contemporary who doesn't hate Win 10. I still have 7 on my laptop which I use all the time. I asked about alternative operating systems and Linux was suggested for what I do. Email, news blogs, forums, and music dl's.
How hard is it to install Linux and get rid of Windows 10 on a desktop? I've tried to wipe a Samsung Tab and install Lollipop following youtube directions and haven't been able to complete the process. Not upset about it because I couldn't use it anyway with all the bloatware on it.

Hang in there with Windows 10, just because your in your 60s doesnt mean squat.
You just need to be patient, you need to keep learning and adapting to the world. Im sure some people couldnt get used to automatic transmissions decades ago!
Bottom line in 6 months you will have it figured out, its quite simple once you do and you will see the sense to it.
Your files are right at the bottom on the screen on the task bar, looks like a file :eek:)

Anyway, as far as your question, if you dont want to learn Windows 10, well, using something else will be far,far,far,far harder for you.
It take times, my wife hated Windows 10 at first too.

Last edited:
If I wanted 2 main computers I would run linux. Since I need 1 computer that does everything.. its windows 10.

If i Had an older computer and needed basic web browsing, etc I would run linux... did they ever fix it so adobe flash works? I remember spending 3-4 hours trying to get it running.

I can see where linux would work great for some people.. just not me.

At various times I've used mint, ubuntu, and other flavors.. I'm all for having it around.
Just not a fanboy of either windows or linux.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: loneryder
I posed this question on another thread and got some good suggestions. I put Win 10 on a desktop and hate it. I can't find stuff or do things I've been doing for years on Win 7. I'm in my 60's and haven't found one contemporary who doesn't hate Win 10. I still have 7 on my laptop which I use all the time. I asked about alternative operating systems and Linux was suggested for what I do. Email, news blogs, forums, and music dl's.
How hard is it to install Linux and get rid of Windows 10 on a desktop? I've tried to wipe a Samsung Tab and install Lollipop following youtube directions and haven't been able to complete the process. Not upset about it because I couldn't use it anyway with all the bloatware on it.

Hang in there with Windows 10, just because your in your 60s doesnt mean squat.
You just need to be patient, you need to keep learning and adapting to the world. Im sure some people couldnt get used to automatic transmissions decades ago!
Bottom line in 6 months you will have it figured out, its quite simple once you do and you will see the sense to it.
Your files are right at the bottom on the screen on the task bar, looks like a file :eek:)

Anyway, as far as your question, if you dont want to learn Windows 10, well, using something else will be far,far,far,far harder for you.
It take times, my wife hated Windows 10 at first too.

I hear you. I think a lot of folks on here grew up with computers. I didn't but was able to get by for my job. In my early 50's I was in a training class to learn Office which I had to use. I got by well enough. Since I am retired, I don't have the motivation to learn new tech like I once did. It doesn't come natural to me like it does to younger folks. My Win 10 computer gets only part time use so that is probably part of the problem. I'm going to try some suggestions on here before I do anything radical. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back