Hate Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Thanks to all for the great suggestions and info. I'm going to try a couple of the suggestions before I change OS. Learned a great deal here today.

Originally Posted By: Rand
did they ever fix it so adobe flash works? I remember spending 3-4 hours trying to get it running.

I don't ever recall that "they" (presumably you mean Linux distribution developers) had any trouble getting Flash to function; at least certainly not the user oriented mainstream distribution - it is a simply a web browser plugin. Adobe, on the other hand, kept Flash out of version- and feature-parity relative to Windows and Mac versions for quite some time. They have since rectified that problem and it seems that the Linux version of Flash works exactly the same as the Windows and Mac version; which is to say, it stinks to high heaven. ;^)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
did they ever fix it so adobe flash works? I remember spending 3-4 hours trying to get it running.

I don't ever recall that "they" (presumably you mean Linux distribution developers) had any trouble getting Flash to function; at least certainly not the user oriented mainstream distribution - it is a simply a web browser plugin. Adobe, on the other hand, kept Flash out of version- and feature-parity relative to Windows and Mac versions for quite some time. They have since rectified that problem and it seems that the Linux version of Flash works exactly the same as the Windows and Mac version; which is to say, it stinks to high heaven. ;^)

Sounding awful defensive there. Lets not get nit-picky By They I mean so it works out of the box. or after an install without having to google for hours and provide your own tech support.

on windows you go download it and it works.(poorly possibly)

on linux I googled how to install it. fought with it. and eventually gave up. Even after googling and typing for hours.

I dont care whose fault it is.. if it doesnt work it doesnt work.
sure maybe it was adobe's fault it was gimped.
I tried cs:go in linux it had odd lags and glitches.. I dont care if it was my video card, the game,linux.. whatever.. it didnt work worth a darn.

And no its not easy for me to teach my 88 year old grandma how to use linux either.. or I'd ditch w7 at her house for sure.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I put Win 10 on a desktop and hate it. I can't find stuff or do things I've been doing for years on Win 7. I'm in my 60's and haven't found one contemporary who doesn't hate Win 10. I still have 7 on my laptop which I use all the time. I asked about alternative operating systems and Linux was suggested for what I do.

loneryder, like you, I am in my 60's and hate Win 10. I mainly use a desktop with good old Win 7, which I am very comfortable with. I bought a laptop last year with Win 8 to do secure banking and retirement fund management. I really, really, hated Win 8 so was more than happy to do the free Win 10 install when it was available. With Win 10 I was able to change the desktop to "look" like Win 7's desktop, meaning that the big "app" "tiles" of Win 10 all over the screen are eliminated.

Over a year ago I became curious enough with Linux/Ubuntu that I bought a refurbished Dell Latitude D620 with Ubuntu from an Ebay seller/refurbisher. My only previous experience with Ubuntu was with a much older, borrowed, IBM Thinkpad running Ubuntu that died shortly after I got it, so didn't have a lot of time to do much with it. Ubuntu on my current refurbished Dell Latitude took me a few tries to become comfortable. It also had a couple of quirks from time to time, but they weren't terrible. Over the months it began to run slower, which I thought was due to age, but then, a few weeks ago, an Ubuntu update became available, which I put into the machine, and it now runs faster than even when I first got it.

If my Win 10 laptop that I do finances on breaks down, I would seriously consider replacing it with an up to date Ubuntu or other Linux type laptop.

Having no experience with other Linux or versions of it, I can't say anything about them other than BITOG posters seem to like a number of them. Since I do have experience with Ubuntu, I can say that I have been satisfied with it, but only do web browsing, a little word processing (the free Ubuntu version), and email. If other software, or peripheral hardware, is important in your computer work, that may play a part in which operating system you choose.

Sounding awful defensive there.

Nope. Not at all. **If** (IF!) I cried myself to sleep in the fetal position last night it was *totally* over something else. :^)

As a tech-savvy guy it just burns me a bit that there seems to be a perfect solution out there for folks who 1) have simple needs, 2) do not want to have to know anything about computers and 3) are the least likely to have any kind of acumen about privacy and security. When I come across someone for whom this solution may be a perfect fit, I advocate aggressively. No Linux-based OS's have a Microsoft or Apple behind them to spend zillions getting noticed so Linux's annoyances advocacy and advice. We're still way less annoying and eye roll-inducing than vegans or CrossFitters.

If I wanted 2 main computers I would run linux. Since I need 1 computer that does everything.. its windows 10.

If i Had an older computer and needed basic web browsing, etc I would run linux... did they ever fix it so adobe flash works? I remember spending 3-4 hours trying to get it running.

There's been a nifty thing out for a while, called dual boot.
wink.gif
Flash works just fine, and has for a rather long time, too. I can hardly remember back when it was an issue, it was that distant. The last time I had to really get my hands dirty in Linux was around Ubuntu 6.06, almost twelve years ago, and that wasn't even so bad. The upshot was I learned more than enough then to keep me going through any potential emergency I'd come across now.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I'm quite happy with 7 and will stay on it for many more years.

Until it's no longer supported and your running a unpatched vulnerable Pc. That makes you happy?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: loneryder
Email, news blogs, forums, and music dl's.

These sound like basic tasks that just about any web browser should be able to accomplish, regardless of underlying operating system. Does Win 10 not allow you to access your email or browse internet forums, etc?

Quote:
How hard is it to install Linux and get rid of Windows 10 on a desktop? I've tried to wipe a Samsung Tab and install Lollipop following youtube directions and haven't been able to complete the process. Not upset about it because I couldn't use it anyway with all the bloatware on it.

Before you venture to a completely different OS, which you are going to have to learn, maybe try this first?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

Or try linux with windows look...

Linux Q4OS plus xp4 addon...

https://dai-trying.com/tutorials/make-your-desktop-look-like-windows/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back