Has your first year of retirement gone as planned?

Yes it has and I love it.. Retired since 2017 and each year after has gone great also...

Similar story to the OP (grampi) retired now for the last 5 months. I had a little bit of a trial retirement and left my main occupation at 62/63 ish and worked part time for a bank, easy, relaxing 5 hour weekday job and amazing benefits for part time including roughly 5 weeks of PTO/Holidays and full health ins. Health ins was the main reason for working until I was 65. It was about the benefits and I like working, thankfully I too am in pretty good shape and not concerned about having enough money. At the same time, in all honesty I wonder sometimes if I will ever have to modify my pretty much carefree lifestyle as far as not being concerned about maintaining that "carefree" feeling, we will always survive just fine. But I guess that goes for most people even those not retired yet, who knows the future.

I never really expected I would be happy not working at all, so this part time job I actually thought I would be working until my late 60s just because it was enjoyable and I like being around people. I ABSOLUTELY loved it! In reality 50% of my pay was just going into the company 401k and the left over change was just spending money.

Well things changed, working weekdays then turned into working rotating Saturdays on sometimes a 6 day work week at another branch that was open on Saturdays, like all companies look for maximum profits, this affected EVERYONE in our Monday through Friday branch.
No thanks .. I quit a month before medicare kicked in at 65. Worked out perfect and I still MAY decide one day to work part time at a bank again IF I get bored and IF its a 20 hour workweek on weekdays. I too was worried about getting bored, my wife will still be working for another 3 years or so. I too have income other then SS and other then my wifes paycheck. I am fortunate enough to continue to save money.

As the months wear on, Im not bored and not considering going back to work *LOL*
Our home, now 15 years old since built, to us, is starting to need some attention even though to others its really nice, I also like working around the house in all things including landscaping and continue to do so, so in the coming months repainting the interior will be a project and that is a big one, will do what I can but we have some rooms with 16 foot walls and ceilings, most likely have all the ceilings done by someone and most walls except the tall ones myself.
Next will be new flooring all around in most rooms except the hardwood rooms and then most likely update all appliances, they still look new but want to be proactive and replace before break and have a like new home too.

Hobbies? Hmmmm ... my wife and I do most things together, though I do have a motorcycle and still not sure how much I we/will be riding, I feel like Ive "been there and done that" Im not so sure what other places on the bike I am interested in, though I love riding. We also have a small Chaparral runabout in mint condition, 2008 that I want to install a new depth finder on, replace the trailer wheels and bearings...

So that is my list, still wonder to myself if I will want to go back to work for a Mon-Fri part time job once my projects are done but as of right now, well, I just don't get it!!! The days are flying by and not sure when I will ever have time to go back to a part time job and the desire too is down by 50% or more! It just amazing, get up in the morning, make coffee, drink two big cups, go online and the morning is almost past before I start my day!

Oh!!! Yes!!! One big thing since retiring and this WAS big for me. I joined a gym, for now, 8 classes a month at Orange Theory, always sort of took care of myself and pride in that. So far Im the only male in my family who has avoided diabetes and major heart disease. I do have some minor plaque in my arteries revealed by a recent Heart Cauterization, minor enough that my cardiologist says with my healthy eating and low cholesterol its very possible I may never need any intervention, spots of plaque is less than 20%. So in keeping with that is to make sure I get enough cardo exercise and this gym certainly does that.

But this was the first time joining a gym with group coaching too. It took a little bit of a self generated push to join, lets face it, no longer a spring chicken that I am and walking in this place with the young people and young girls behind the desk, well... I was AMAZED! They are all great! No way do I feel out of place, just awesome staff and a few older people work out as well.
What sort of started me on this was looking at my health benefits, this place is more of a premium gym and my health Insurance is one of the few that pays for a premium gym, so I thought, what the heck, let me check it out, and ... I LOVE IT.
Right now two times a week is perfect and you can do other stuff on your own, as time goes forward, MAYBE Ill go 3 times a week.

I guess with 5 months of retirement under my belt, I could say, I guess things are going as planned and better in the sense that I had no idea what to expect. I did know I would be ok financially but it is nice to see that it is proving itself to be true.

Last edited:
I retired at 62, the end of 2014, a little over 7 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long already. I've loved every minute of it. It's really been great since we moved into this house. I'm doing a lot more shooting out here, and we both like being out of the city. I just wish time would slow down a bit.

I wake up and suddenly it's evening.

Yeah wow. Time. Poof.

Geezer talk!

Those of you who moved to a new/unknown area - this is kinda corny - any idea how to make new friends? I know a few folks, so that helps. Joining a new church. Going to go to monthly gardening club thing. Lots of people still working or holed up. Not too lonely, still have the wife yelling at me. Neighbor is moving, other works odd hours in Fed LE.

Also forgot to mention, this year, 2022 I will be shutting down Sick Bike Parts LLC. Well maybe, plenty left to sell. A lot of work, I do all the shipping now. Hey I'm retired!

Still keeping the Amsoil gig. Income pays for my health insurance until medicare.

Wife retired just as covid19 came into play. Her NYS pension is great to have. I am 68 retired from IBM ten years ago but still work full time on mainframe computers. We finally sold our NY house and just moved to our Delaware house.

I don't really need to work, so not sure why I have not retired after our NY house sold. The team I work on is pretty good and there are things I want to accomplish at work before retiring. And as long as I am working I get super discounts on hotel rooms.

I wake up and suddenly it's evening. Yeah wow. Time. Poof.

I look at it as being the same way when I was working. Ever notice how fast time went by from Friday evening to Sunday night? As compared to how SLOW time passed from Monday to Wednesday? As they say, time flies when you're having fun. When you're retired, every day is Sunday.... Except when you go to the store and it's no longer crowded.

nother 70 y/o can echo post #16, BUT... it's all in attitude, U can change that & so changes the world around me.

I too had an identity wrapped up in credentials - expensive (time, $) just to maintain. Did alota things but last 15 yrs had
that (local) respect w/the pro ID. I wanted to shift to self employment slowly and just as I began the Great Recession hit. Not only did the job go but at late career, no 1 would hire 3, 4 yrs later (international recovery)... so lost the house too. No more worry, weight loss, fear of homelessness, increased ETOH intake, sleep issues, etc. I released all that and am now involved in an early career choice and semi-retired to antique vehicle restoration (buddy's garage) and consulting in that earlier career. Happy, active, never needed $ and now its obvious as seen from that SSRet.I. amount 8^ )

Will turn 62 in April. Really want to retire but 401k is down quite a bit and I still have a mortgage. May be interested in a part time job for extra cash. I want to work, but need a complete change of job out of an office.

I appreciate all the advice and experience in this thread.

Will turn 62 in April. Really want to retire but 401k is down quite a bit and I still have a mortgage. May be interested in a part time job for extra cash. I want to work, but need a complete change of job out of an office.

I appreciate all the advice and experience in this thread.

With recession looming and lots of bad news on the horizon, your 401K most like will be lower in April.

Access your situation and make some difficult decisions. The boom times are over.

Applied for Social Security to start Jan 2023

Taking a bit early gives me ~$2700 vs. $3100 in 2.25 years. It could be argued either way. IMHO.

My 90 year old dad was telling me to take it two years ago. So he's an influencer!

Also, need some new tools.

Taking a bit early gives me ~$2700 vs. $3100 in 2.25 years. It could be argued either way. IMHO.

My 90 year old dad was telling me to take it two years ago. So he's an influencer!

Quit my job in Nov 2018. Was making great future plans then the c19 hit and the real estate frenzy, we are still climbing out of that dang hole.

I am Just about to apply for So Sec in April of next year at full retirement age. And Medicare part B at the same time and maybe a medigap plan, IDK Medigap sounds like a waste if it doesn't limit annual out of pocket expenses. part C is too limiting possibly. I hate thinking about medical ins, I don't go to the doctor unless dragged by the ambulance or the spouse :)

Just waiting a couple years more past FRA to collect social security leaves money "on the table" that then takes over a decade to just break even.
and then you will be bumping into required min distribution from the 401 (K) so you will likely be too "cash flush" in your 70's
if you have a substantial nest egg.

after 55+ years of working since age 12, enjoy it!

There is the get it while you can theory.

Back