Has your first year of retirement gone as planned?

The biggest thing I miss about work is not being able to poop while on the clock, overtime was even better.
I always got a chuckle out of this. At least two mechanics I worked with..... tough guys, you know , manly men... YET they each had the strangest
bathroom hang ups. We certainly teased them often about them too. Neither one of them claimed to be able to poop while at the job site! They
actually said they would NOT except under extreme circumstances :ROFLMAO: do that :poop: anyplace on the job! LoL.... Still funny. Still strange to me.

I have been retired for 14 months now and really enjoy it for the most part. I had to retire from my job because the business closed. I put 900 miles on my Honda Monkey this year. I go fishing in my boat with my buddies, hunting pheasants in the fall and ice fishing in the wintertime. No debt and my wife works part time from home. I might get a part time job driving in the winter because I can't go ice fishing every day. I developed my hobbies many years ago and I can stay busy very easily and I enjoy Netflix and Amazon prime movies when it gets really cold outside. I have also racked up 81,000 miles on my 2005 Corvette that I purchased brand new. At the end of the day ITS ALL ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. Without good health you can't do much. BTW I am 67 years old.

Attachments

• ICi6Y9zoTp+lpmVUFm40Dw.jpg
    ICi6Y9zoTp+lpmVUFm40Dw.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Guj6VixkQrOdxAw56n35tg.jpg
    Guj6VixkQrOdxAw56n35tg.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 12
  • fOFNYdIDTBeLXjSuKi7MOQ.jpg
    fOFNYdIDTBeLXjSuKi7MOQ.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 12
  • MzC77cOZTfW6Zlyf1KCDIg.jpg
    MzC77cOZTfW6Zlyf1KCDIg.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 13
The biggest thing I miss about work is not being able to poop while on the clock, overtime was even better.
Oh, you're THAT guy :)

My new, micro-managing type boss was giving me grief over going into the break room 5 mins before Noon to start cooking my microwave dinner. So I brought up that I don' t use the bathroom for 15 or 20 mins every day on the clock like many guys working here do.
He still said. "It makes our Dept. look bad!" I just put that on IGNORE.

Maybe got less than the warranted annual salary increase as a result. I was in my last few years of working so I didn't care much about stuff like this.

Retired and currently part time restricted to 20 hours a week. Not sure how I would fill my time otherwise. It’s a good balance. I still dread Monday!

Seeing as we were at work for 24 hrs at a time it was inevitable that the poop fairy would arrive at some point. The bathrooms were as clean as we decided they needed to be since we cleaned them at the end of every shift.

I have been retired for 14 months now and really enjoy it for the most part. I had to retire from my job because the business closed. I put 900 miles on my Honda Monkey this year. I go fishing in my boat with my buddies, hunting pheasants in the fall and ice fishing in the wintertime. No debt and my wife works part time from home. I might get a part time job driving in the winter because I can't go ice fishing every day. I developed my hobbies many years ago and I can stay busy very easily and I enjoy Netflix and Amazon prime movies when it gets really cold outside. I have also racked up 81,000 miles on my 2005 Corvette that I purchased brand new. At the end of the day ITS ALL ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. Without good health you can't do much. BTW I am 67 years old.
sweet, what are those fish in that first photo. look like they were eating well.

sweet, what are those fish in that first photo. look like they were eating well
Those fish are perch that we caught through the ice. I have an insulated ice house and it's a blast catching them. I get my 2 person limit almost every time I go out. It only takes a couple hours. Some of them are a little small and some are large but they are very good to eat.

Attachments

• b8x2uGv+Sr2AuUPLlbC6iQ.jpg
    b8x2uGv+Sr2AuUPLlbC6iQ.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 5
  • aH8bOUfbTlSmNycgIHxDvg.jpg
    aH8bOUfbTlSmNycgIHxDvg.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 5
Those fish are perch that we caught through the ice. I have an insulated ice house and it's a blast catching them. I get my 2 person limit almost every time I go out. It only takes a couple hours. Some of them are a little small and some are large but they are very good to eat.
For many years I went fishing 3-4 times a week. When I worked the day shift my boat was hooked to my trailer in the parking lot to head to the water right after knock off time. I had accumulated so much fishing tackle a few years back I started giving a lot of it away to sons & nephews who go fishing a lot now.

Oh, you're THAT guy :)

My new, micro-managing type boss was giving me grief over going into the break room 5 mins before Noon to start cooking my microwave dinner. So I brought up that I don' t use the bathroom for 15 or 20 mins every day on the clock like many guys working here do.
He still said. "It makes our Dept. look bad!" I just put that on IGNORE.

Maybe got less than the warranted annual salary increase as a result. I was in my last few years of working so I didn't care much about stuff like this.
When I was gainfully employeed the yearly reviews every year for the past 17 years of employment was exaclty the same word for word. The boss would say I know you do not care what I think so I am not going to say anything.

Did any of you get early retirement packages to get you out the door sooner ?
I received 3 months of pay all in one check. Our company went into liquidation and I was asked to stay for 3 1/2 more years to complete the liquidation. I was told if I stayed until the end they would pay the 3 months which the company did. The 3 1/2 years worked out perfectly because it brought me to the finish line at 66 years and 2 months which was close to perfect. IMO the company was awesome to work for. Now for some odd reason I do not even feel like working an easy job especially when it's only 19 degrees outside. I do feel like going hunting or ice fishing though! Hahahaha.

Last edited:
Did any of you get early retirement packages to get you out the door sooner ?
Yes, its called a group of managers at each others throats using employees as pawns in their blame games.
I had enough of it so I bailed. Upper management was visiting from Maryland, so sometime that week I decided to type up a letter of resignation during lunch and hand it to the big guy in person..
Later that year and next, some really bad - even tragic events occurred. I am not a liberty to disclose due to the nature of the job.

No, my first yr of retirement (2008) did NOT go as planned. I retired at 51 and got married at 51 for the first and only time. The list I had before retirement got throw out the window. The plan is "there is no plan".

Retirement and marriage have been great. 65 now and counting my blessings 🙏 everyday. 👍

I am going on 70 and forgot to retire when I was 65. Now have 46+ years with mainframe computers.

Maybe go to 3 days in mid 2023. I didn't have anything else to do so I just kept working.

Back