Has your cellphone replaced your watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Never. A watch just isn't about time for some people. The less contact i have with a cell phone the better.
I have the phone out of necessity otherwise i could care less about the thing and even less about a smart phone.

Agreed! 100%

Originally Posted By: gold01ca
Originally Posted By: Trav
Never. A watch just isn't about time for some people. The less contact i have with a cell phone the better.
I have the phone out of necessity otherwise i could care less about the thing and even less about a smart phone.

Agreed! 100%

X2

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Don't have a cellphone and don't want one.

If an emergency crisis arises, you will regret that decision. They cost less than $1 a day and packs your life and/or health insurance inside. It may also help protect someone else....... even a stranger like me someday.

About six months ago, I put my everyday $29.95 Timex Indiglo that I purchased in 2007, away in the jewelry box for good. I use my cellphone for time nowadays.

No. Phones are getting larger and toted around less often at least in my case. I wear a watch, but I see a lot of younger folks without them checking their phones for the time.

My watch is a 15 year old Timex Indiglo Expedition. I timed the previews and other commercials at the theater yesterday while waiting for the movie 'American Sniper' to begin. The movie started at 1:35 pm, 25 minutes after it's advertised starting time and I didn't have to dig for my phone one time. I left my phone in the car, unlike some movie goers around me.

I wear a watch and would feel lost without one. I do have a Tracfone, which I carry at times. Never ever going to get tied to one of those things.

Matter of fact I also collect watches, yet to acquire a Rolex, but do have a TAG to impress myself.

When I was a patrol officer, I wore a G-Shock watch every day. In that line of work you need to be able to look down and note the time at a moments notice for documentation purposes.

Now that I am no longer in that line of work, I don't wear a wrist watch every day and my cell phone works fine for when I need the time.

No, I still wear a watch everyday. But I am older and I think that's the trend.

What is funny is watching the younger soldiers today try to replace a watch with a phone/smartphone. When they pull some huge iPhone 6 out and the Sergeant Majors eyes bug out, I have to laugh (quietly). All kidding aside, it still amazes me to be out on an FTX at night and see a sudden glow in the woods as someone checks the time with their phone. No matter how much someone gets chewed out for it and we all get warned about it, someone will pull the same stunt on the next FTX.

Last edited:
Wore a watch for decades and had several of them. It was like breaking an addiction when I stopped wearing one. The cell phone is only one possible clock. There are clocks on everything. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a clock, a fact I am reminded of at every stinking time change. I basically got tired of the thing sliding down my wrist when it was cold and feeling like a tourniquet every time it was hot.

I still like the look of them, on other people.

Don't have a cell phone and don't want one. My 32 year old Seiko keeps perfect time, and when it goes south, I will purchase another Seiko. No Invictas that look like alarm clocks for me.

No. I carry a cell most of the time, but to pull it out of a pocket and push a button is more work than looking at my wrist.

That said, the battery died on my watch, and I'm not missing it. Yet. I'll probably regret that at the gym, because once I take my glasses off I won't be able to read the clocks on the wall there.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Don't have a cellphone and don't want one.

If an emergency crisis arises, you will regret that decision. They cost less than $1 a day and packs your life and/or health insurance inside. It may also help protect someone else....... even a stranger like me someday.

About six months ago, I put my everyday $29.95 Timex Indiglo that I purchased in 2007, away in the jewelry box for good. I use my cellphone for time nowadays.

I bought a dumb tracfone. It would go two weeks if not a month on a charge--longer if I turned the unit off. Six bucks a month, and it was $20 or $30 for the phone. Which lasted a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: RW1
No, I still wear a watch everyday. But I am older and I think that's the trend.

I remeber when quartz watches came to market, the Swiss thought their mechanical watches would slip into oblivion. Some even sold the rights to the movements to other companies.

Now the mechanicals and mechanical chronographs are making a huge comeback and at some hefty prices. A lot of younger people are experiencing the fascinating mechanical marvels of engineering just like we do.
If it cost more than $20 its not about time anymore.

I have worn a watch before when I was younger and started again after I got my current job where you can't have cell phones out at any time for any reason.
I just couldn't get used to it on my wrist. Kept irritating me and I eventually ended up with like a rash where the stainless backing contacted my skin. It wasn't like I wore it 24/7 either, it came off for showers and bed. So I stopped wearing it again. I don't forsee trying to wear one again.
I just use my phone to check the time covertly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back