Car Insurance ID Card

HAHA! And aren't cellphones bulky these days? I only take one when I expect a call or will be out all day. They barely fit in a pocket anymore.

Yea I hate how big cellphones have gotten. I have small hands so the new iPhone SE I ordered for work would have been the perfect size for me if I was in Apple's ecosystem. On android's side there's nothing that small, especially with wireless charging which now only comes on the mainstream/expensive android phones. I can't even get my thumb across my Pixel 6 screen if I'm holding it firmly. One of the big downsides of consumers thinking bigger is better.

Why wouldn't you keep it in your wallet along with your drivers license?

And who takes their phone every time they go out?
I have enough junk in my wallet without adding another card that I may only need once or twice a year .
WHO takes their phone every time they go out ? Most people do . You are an anomaly .

Which do you prefer? Insurance ID card printed and kept inside your wallet or the image saved in your cellphone? I have a jpg image of the ID card in my cellphone now, but would like to know if others here have done the same.
I use both, except that I keep a copy of the insurance information in the car not in my wallet. Likewise for the registration.

Last edited:
I keep my insurance ID cards with the vehicle's registration in the glove compartment, because that's where I am most likely to need it for some reason. Plus, if I lend the car to someone they will have access to it. Don't count on being able to use your cellphone after an accident. It may fly off its mount and under the seat, or be smashed to bits. I've been on the scene of several accidents where dazed people were unable to locate their cell phones.

I keep a paper printout of the insurance document clipped to the windshield visor along with the proof of registration. I'm not going to antagonize a LEO by rummaging though the glockbox. I also have both documents along with other documents backed up in digital form on my phone.
I like that idea.

Which do you prefer? Insurance ID card printed and kept inside your wallet or the image saved in your cellphone? I have a jpg image of the ID card in my cellphone now, but would like to know if others here have done the same.
Ideally both so when you forget one or the other of wallet/phone you're still prepared for the officer. We get 4 printed ID automatically so one in wallet and one in car for both cars, the third failsafe.

I keep a copy of the insurance information in the car not in my wallet. Likewise for the registration.
So if a thief steals your car in the middle of the night while you're sleeping and gets pulled over, he can just reach into the glove compartment when the cop asks for insurance and registration and he will be allowed to continue driving?

So if a thief steals your car in the middle of the night while you're sleeping and gets pulled over, he can just reach into the glove compartment when the cop asks for insurance and registration and he will be allowed to continue driving?

They'll be given a ticket and allowed to continue even if they don't have that information.

They'll be given a ticket and allowed to continue even if they don't have that information.
Or they will be asked more questions they can't answer like what is the name and phone number of the friend that let you borrow the car. No correct answer and they may get arrested.

Reactions: Pew
It would never occur to me to keep it on my phone. There's a paper copy in the glove box and I recently printed another for my wallet when we rented a car.

Of course I could download the entire policy from the insurance company website in about 2 minutes if I really needed it.

I've never had a police officer ask for car insurance info. Just license and registration.

I've never had a police officer ask for car insurance info. Just license and registration.
California requires proof of insurance. A driver would be asked for such any time s/he is stopped.

I was stopped in Iowa or Nebraska last year and the officer requested proof of insurance.

What top secret information do you people keep stored on your phone that you're afraid a cop will access and somehow monetize at your expense?
Probably links to various 500,000-mile Toyota Sequoias we are looking to buy and flip....

I keep the card in my wallet because I don't always bring my phone with me.

My iPhone is my wallet.

More and more states are accepting digital drivers licenses too so they would be on the phone.
I keep my insurance ID cards with the vehicle's registration in the glove compartment, because that's where I am most likely to need it for some reason. Plus, if I lend the car to someone they will have access to it. Don't count on being able to use your cellphone after an accident. It may fly off its mount and under the seat, or be smashed to bits. I've been on the scene of several accidents where dazed people were unable to locate their cell phones.

My iPhone stays in my pocket. I don’t use it while driving.

Back