Car Insurance ID Card

What top secret information do you people keep stored on your phone that you're afraid a cop will access and somehow monetize at your expense?
It doesn’t really matter. You’re submitting to a search by handing anyone an unlocked phone.

Oh you got a text message from So and so 5 minutes ago while you were driving? Did you read it while in motion? Etc etc etc

In the right or in the wrong, it’s still submitting to a search.

It doesn’t really matter. You’re submitting to a search by handing anyone an unlocked phone.

Oh you got a text message from So and so 5 minutes ago while you were driving? Did you read it while in motion? Etc etc etc

In the right or in the wrong, it’s still submitting to a search.
I have nothing to hide on my phone, and getting a text is no proof that you were reading it.

Which do you prefer? Insurance ID card printed and kept inside your wallet or the image saved in your cellphone? I have a jpg image of the ID card in my cellphone now, but would like to know if others here have done the same.
Glove compartment of the vehicle holds the insurance and registration cards. I’ve never carried them in my wallet and I certainly never even considered handing over my phone. I never will either.

Last edited:
I always keep the hard copy in our cars...just old-school I guess.

I have nothing to hide on my phone, and getting a text is no proof that you were reading it.
I have nothing to hide either. Just not opening up to an unnecessary search for someone to start making assumptions.

Handing a LEO your unlocked phone just opens you up to the possibility of you sitting in jail for the night because the officer swears up and down they saw a text message come through on your phone that said something about illicit drugs. True story, first hand experience.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pew
I keep a paper printout of the insurance document clipped to the windshield visor along with the proof of registration. I'm not going to antagonize a LEO by rummaging though the glockbox. I also have both documents along with other documents backed up in digital form on my phone.
^^^ This ^^^

Not many folks keep a weapon on the visor …

I use my visor a lot so keep nothing up there, and besides I don't plan my life around getting pulled over by the police. If it happens I'll just ask if it is OK to open the glove compartment.

What an odd mix of responses...I thought glove box was pretty standard. How much crap do people have in there that they have to rummage through to find reg and insurance cards? Wallet seems like a dumb idea, particularly because I drive 3 different vehicles including the bike so I'm supposed to keep 3 registration cards and 3 insurance cards in there? Nope.

Which do you prefer? Insurance ID card printed and kept inside your wallet or the image saved in your cellphone? I have a jpg image of the ID card in my cellphone now, but would like to know if others here have done the same.
Which one does the police officer to whom you’re giving it prefer?

I use my visor a lot so keep nothing up there, and besides I don't plan my life around getting pulled over by the police. If it happens I'll just ask if it is OK to open the glove compartment.
I'm not planning my life around having to show my papers. Just handy to have the documents in reach and where it's obvious what I am reaching for. I get nervous when my girlfriend reaches into her purse. I can't remember when I last had to show my license and registration. I use my visor also all the time. It' function is not hampered by the clip and the documents and neither does anything go flying even with the top down. With the visor folded up, the papers are out of sight.

I have an iPhone, which has Apple Wallet. My insurance card is on my Lock Screen, I'll hand my phone to the cop, doesn't matter to me, they can't get in it.

Android doesn't have that? Looks like this:

IMG_3180.jpeg

I'm not planning my life around having to show my papers. Just handy to have the documents in reach and where it's obvious what I am reaching for. I get nervous when my girlfriend reaches into her purse. I can't remember when I last had to show my license and registration. I use my visor also all the time. It' function is not hampered by the clip and the documents and neither does anything go flying even with the top down. With the visor folded up, the papers are out of sight.

That's genius, make important docs within a few inches reach.

I have an iPhone, which has Apple Wallet. My insurance card is on my Lock Screen, I'll hand my phone to the cop, doesn't matter to me, they can't get in it.

Android doesn't have that? Looks like this:

View attachment 156587

Not that I know of natively for android. There's screen pinning in android which will lock the screen to the app but the user will still have to open their insurance app/card details first.

Back