Has MMO changed it's formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleaning out the garage I found a 20 year old can of Marvel Mystery Oil. It was still full. I thought it would be rusted/stuck closed but it opened right up with no problems. I also had a brand new plastic bottle. I smelled them and they both smell completely different. The old MMO is much darker red and smells very strong, very concentrated. The new stuff looks like it's watered down and has the color of transmission fluid.

Thinking back to the first time I ever used it, about 20 years ago, I thought it was dark red. The last time I used it a few years ago I thought it looked lighter and more watery. Now that I found this old container it proves my memory.

I poured a little of each into a container and the old stuff is thicker too.

the old stuff mayb thicker because it has oxidized slowly over the years.

I always recall the same smell.

Yes, the formulas are different.

Marvel Mystery oil material from 1995:

http://www.pipelinesupply.com/msds/Marval_Mystery_Oil.pdf

Petroleum oil, No 64741-96-4, < 75%

Mineral Spirits, < 30 %

Hydrocarbon odor

Current Marvel Mystery oil:

http://www.chemcas.org/msds_archive/msds_01/cas/gc_msds/64742-52-5.asp

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 64742-52-5, 70 to 80%
Mineral Spirits 08052-41-3 20 to 30%
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 00095-50-1 Wintergreen odor

"Naphthenic Hydrocarbons" is defined as:
TSCA Definition 2008: A complex combination of Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy naphthenic(64742-52-5)obtained by treating a petroleum fraction with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst.
The combination of Distillates(petroleum,hydrotreated heavy naphthenic(64742-52-5) contains relatively few normal paraffins.

Last edited:
I'm not very good at knowing what those chemicals really mean, is the new formula better or worse? Or is it just adapted to todays different oil blend?

Originally Posted By: carwreck
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 64742-52-5, 70 to 80%

I like the current formula. Based on my research Naphthenic Hydrocarbons lubes and cleans better.

Last edited:
I would hesitate to use the old MMO.
Not because of what it SHOULD contain, but because of what it 'morphed' into after 20 years. Chemical changes almost certainly occurred.

The chlorinated material in the newer formula is dichlorobenzene, a very powerful solvent. In the lab, when hot, this will dissolve just about anything, including a lot of polymers.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I would hesitate to use the old MMO.
Not because of what it SHOULD contain, but because of what it 'morphed' into after 20 years. Chemical changes almost certainly occurred.

Sell it on EBAY!! Like the old White cans of Pepsi, or JOLT Cola!
thumbsup2.gif

Wouldnt put that in my car. It would explode.

Might be worth going to the "horses mouth" per se over at MarvelMysteryOil.com
smile.gif

But yea, if the formula DID/HAS changed through the years, I'm sure there was a good reason for the change, likely for "compatibilty" with modern motor oils....?

Curious, what do/did the directions state on that can?

And what is/was the UPC and stock/part #? Pics?
smile.gif

From Rich Kelly at MMO Forums:

When Marvel Mystery Oil is tightly closed and properly stored, it can last an indefinite period of time. A simple way to check if it is still good, is to pour it into a clean, clear plastic bottle. If the solution is still red and clear, it is OK. Also, check to make sure there is not dirt or deposits in the bottom of the can. If this is also clean, then there is no problem at all with using the Marvel Mystery Oil.

The upc says 77874 00013. It's a 32 OZ metal can, not really sure if it's 20 years old but it's still pretty old looking.

Dichlorobenzene bad for ozone even if it lacks fluorine. Those gosh darn halogens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back