Harley vs. Ducati

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to tell you: The Duc is many bikes in one and very adjustable, everything ive read as well points to it being a fantastic all rounder.

The Harley on the other hand is one bike thats Realy very good at what it does, but what it does is just one thing.. The older im getting myself i find myself daydreaming of more comfortable bikes that still Zippp !!

Congrats on your decision, i think your going to be happy with your choice.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Yesterday I went back to the HD dealer, talked some $$. A fair deal was offered, considering they have to do a dealer swap to get one with ABS in silver. But I couldn't get the Ducati out of my mind. So today I took a road trip (100 mile) back to the Ducati dealer for another look at the 2012 Multistrada. I wore looser pants, and wore my heeled riding boots this time. Much better. I know that sounds weird, but it was better. Using the heel to hook the peg let me angle my foot down w/o it creeping down the peg and operating the brake and shifter felt much better. I think a lot of it was just having cut my riding teeth on HD's forward controls and the upright seating position was throwing me off. Once I tried it again it was much better. I think I could ride the Duc for hours and be comfortable enough.

So. I've decided on getting the Ducati. They're going to call when the 2013's they've got on order arrive, they expected them this month but not arrived yet. I want the larger wind screen and slightly wider front faring as well as the engine updates for 2013 (dual spark plugs, repositioned injectors, and air bleed changes for improved low rpm fuel burn). Otherwise I'd save a grand and get the 2012 demo on the floor (has a few hundred miles). But for that extra grand on a 2013, I get to do the break-in instead of living with the break-in demo riders put on, plus the mentioned updates are well worth it to me.

I'm sure you will love it. A much more entertaining choice for sure!

Break it in HARD!

I'm stoked for sure. Hasn't come in yet. And... nothing but winter storms since I put my name down.

The Multi is a great bike, but my one concern would be the cost of maintenance. Ducati's used to be rather expensive for that. Has that changed?

Originally Posted By: whip
The Multi is a great bike, but my one concern would be the cost of maintenance. Ducati's used to be rather expensive for that. Has that changed?

No, it has not changed.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: whip

No, it has not changed.

Respectfully disagree.

The valve adjustment intervals have been extended to 15K miles or something like that for the bike in question, that will significantly reduce running costs, particularly with respect to the service intervals from 90s era Ducs.

Have you put any thought into a v-strom or an sv650? They share the same engine only the v-strom has a fairing as well as it sits taller and carries more fuel.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Sure you may have to do them less, but still....how much are they charging for said service?

15K valve service is $900 at the dealer in question. Routine service intervals are now 7500 miles. Those are $200 each but can be owner-performed to cut that cost.

Been a while since I had a Duc, but many dealers and quality independents used to charge based on whether adjustment was actually needed (it usually isn't in my experience). So a clearance check was less than an adjustment. Worth asking about.

My DS1000 engine the harder thing was the timing belt tension check. It is done with the DDS and it seems to be based on the frequency at which the belt vibrates. I remember on one of the boards we were trying to perfect a way to use a music program to tension the belts. I ultimately decided it was easier to just pay someone.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
The Harley on the other hand is one bike thats Realy very good at what it does, but what it does is just one thing.. The older im getting myself i find myself daydreaming of more comfortable bikes that still Zippp !!

There are plenty of them out there, you just need to get out and do some test riding. Many people believe that either 1) Harleys are the only comfortable bikes made or 2) you can't have a comfortable bike that also performs....they are wrong on both assumptions...

Says they are at dealers on DucatiUSA.com.

wink.gif

I took delivery of a silver 2013 Ducati Multistrada S Touring on January 12th.

1150 miles (1851 km) on it as of right now.
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I took delivery of a silver 2013 Ducati Multistrada S Touring on January 12th.

1150 miles (1851 km) on it as of right now.
happy2.gif

Your killin me. Closest to riding I'm doing is sitting on it and saying vroom vroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back