Harley Davidson - Formula +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening,

I am assuming the Formula + is a gear lube, not a motor oil. It's for the Primary and Transmission. Harley doesn't state the specs, which is really poor if you ask me.

Does anyone know what the specs are? Is it a 75w/90 gear oil?

Secondly, Baker Transmissions recommends Spectro 75w/140 for the HD transmission, would there be any difference in using Mobil 1, or Valvoline or Amsoil in the same spec? Is there something special about Spectro?

Thanks.

I believe the formula plus is a 40 wt oil, I use rotella 15w40 in the primary and 75w140 motorcraft synthetic gear lube in the trans. I get the motorcraft cheap so that's what I use.

Nothing wrong with following the recommendation, I would just like to know the make up of the product.

The Spectro is a good oil. If the tranny is under warranty then I would use what baker recommends, if not, the motorcraft or other equivent gear oils would be fine

Use any good name brand gear oil in your trans.
Formula+ is nothing but a 50 weight oil. Nothing special about it.
I have been using Rotella 15w40 in my primary with excellent results.

Harley-Davidson Formula + ( Virgin oil analysis* Blackstone Labs)

Petroleum based. (Made by Citgo)
Ca 169
P 230
B 210
Zn - none
No other elemental additives.
Viscosity - within SAE 50 range.
Listed as a GL-1, does test out as a GL-3.

Published specs:
Specific Gravity: 0.857
Pounds per Gallon: 7.14
Viscosity, ASTM D 445,
cSt at 40°C: 168.04
cSt at 100°C: 20.10
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270: 139
Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 2983,
cP at -26°C - 28,800
cP at -40°C - n/m
Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °F (°C): -60 (-51)
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °F (°C): 507 (264)

Last edited:
Believe it or not this is exactly what I wanted to see, I wish I could find the UOA or VOA from Blackstone.
I feel using a straight weight oil in the transmission is best for the bike so if its a 50 weight that is great or 85/90 is fine too.
If the Primary + is truly a simple straight weight oil there is no question that is what is best for the transmission as it can never shear down because its a 50 weight oil and cant go lower like a 20/50 or 75w/90 can

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Believe it or not this is exactly what I wanted to see, I wish I could find the UOA or VOA from Blackstone.
I feel using a straight weight oil in the transmission is best for the bike so if its a 50 weight that is great or 85/90 is fine too.
If the Primary + is truly a simple straight weight oil there is no question that is what is best for the transmission as it can never shear down because its a 50 weight oil and cant go lower like a 20/50 or 75w/90 can

I have used Harley formula lately , but have used Bel ray in the past . Harley recommends doing it every 20000, so I don't they are picky on the oil . Some riders say they can feel it shifting easy will Bel ray , but maybe a little more noise .
Jake

I've used many different fluids in my dyna. For the tranny redline shockproof is king. I use Rotella in my primary.
Stock clutch and 107hp/115tq. The only time I felt it slip was when I had m1 15w-50 in the primary. Drained it for rotella and 20000 miles later no problems.
And no clunk into first either.

Just serviced my primary with Harley Formula+ yesterday. It's what my indy Harley shop recommended.

Just done a service on the sportster, put 360 oil in the engine and formula + in the primary . I pull a service at 2500 mi ,but do the trany at 5000 or so
Jake

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

The info from the VOA was already posted-
Formula+ VOA

Red Line makes a 75w-110 gear oil that is about the same viscosity as the Formula+.
I used Red Line MT-90 in my Sportster primary/trans, seems good so far (about 2000 miles)

Last edited:
I've pretty much tried the all too over the past 40+ years.Ended up staying with the Formula plus in tranny and primary.No complaints.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Just serviced my primary with Harley Formula+ yesterday. It's what my indy Harley shop recommended.

Of course they recommend it. They sell it don't they.
I laugh at these harley guys who buy harley branded fluids thinking it's somehow great when the reality is the product is formulated by the lowest bidder(citgo) and voa shows a barely additized product with minimal anti-wear agents.
I guess harley thinks so much of their engines who needs a strong additive package.
Rotella is more stout and cheaper. You aren't paying for the harley label,your paying for the oil.
I own a harley and I've already been taxed with the higher purchase price and higher cost parts. I refuse to pay extra for oil just because it's branded with a harley logo.
Makes me laugh. Reminds me of the title of a dubbie brothers song

They also sell several other brands of oil, but the 2 guys that own the independent shop I use have 50 years of Harley experience between them and I took they're advice. It's a chain case...you could probably p-ss in it and it would be fine. I had them change the primary oil when it was in for a new set of tires...the cost of the Harley primary oil was $6 according to my invoice and it takes just over a qt. I use Valvoline VR1 conventional 'which was $4 a qt on sale at Autozone' in the engine and Redline Shockproof in the transmission. The Redline was $16 for the qt....yes a bit pricey but I'll run it for at least 10,000 miles and maybe more. If you are 'taxed' by the cost of owning a Harley, maybe you should sell it and buy a Hyosung. I've never heard of the dubbie brothers...but I have seen the Doobie brothers in concert a couple of times. Oh....I rode 160 miles today....69 degreesF....eh!

Last edited:
There are several UOA's out here that show the plain-Jane Harley conventional HD360 20W-50 actually turns in good numbers.

I think that what most folks have a problem with is that it's more expensive than other oils that turn in as good as, or better numbers.

While it's true that the HD Formula+ is basically a manual transmission lube with little additives - take a look at the flashpoint .... it's a good base. ... and you don't need motor oil additives in a transmission/gear case where there is no combustion.

Lastly - DO NOT use gear oil or anything rated GL4/5 in a Sportster transmission or a big twin primary chain case. Gear oil can sometimes be unfriendly to yellow metals - and your stator is in there.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back