Harley Davidson - Formula +

Good Evening, I am assuming the Formula + is a gear lube, not a motor oil. It's for the Primary and Transmission. Harley doesn't state the specs, which is really poor if you ask me. Does anyone know what the specs are? Is it a 75w/90 gear oil? Secondly, Baker Transmissions recommends Spectro 75w/140 for the HD transmission, would there be any difference in using Mobil 1, or Valvoline or Amsoil in the same spec? Is there something special about Spectro? Thanks.

I believe the formula plus is a 40 wt oil, I use rotella 15w40 in the primary and 75w140 motorcraft synthetic gear lube in the trans. I get the motorcraft cheap so that's what I use.

LC

Use any good name brand gear oil in your trans. Formula+ is nothing but a 50 weight oil. Nothing special about it. I have been using Rotella 15w40 in my primary with excellent results. Harley-Davidson Formula + ( Virgin oil analysis* Blackstone Labs) Petroleum based. (Made by Citgo) Ca 169 P 230 B 210 Zn - none No other elemental additives. Viscosity - within SAE 50 range. Listed as a GL-1, does test out as a GL-3. Published specs: Specific Gravity: 0.857 Pounds per Gallon: 7.14 Viscosity, ASTM D 445, cSt at 40°C: 168.04 cSt at 100°C: 20.10 Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270: 139 Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 2983, cP at -26°C - 28,800 cP at -40°C - n/m Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °F (°C): -60 (-51) Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °F (°C): 507 (264)

Last edited:
Believe it or not this is exactly what I wanted to see, I wish I could find the UOA or VOA from Blackstone. I feel using a straight weight oil in the transmission is best for the bike so if its a 50 weight that is great or 85/90 is fine too. If the Primary + is truly a simple straight weight oil there is no question that is what is best for the transmission as it can never shear down because its a 50 weight oil and cant go lower like a 20/50 or 75w/90 can

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Believe it or not this is exactly what I wanted to see, I wish I could find the UOA or VOA from Blackstone. I feel using a straight weight oil in the transmission is best for the bike so if its a 50 weight that is great or 85/90 is fine too. If the Primary + is truly a simple straight weight oil there is no question that is what is best for the transmission as it can never shear down because its a 50 weight oil and cant go lower like a 20/50 or 75w/90 can
I have used Harley formula lately , but have used Bel ray in the past . Harley recommends doing it every 20000, so I don't they are picky on the oil . Some riders say they can feel it shifting easy will Bel ray , but maybe a little more noise . Jake

I've used many different fluids in my dyna. For the tranny redline shockproof is king. I use Rotella in my primary. Stock clutch and 107hp/115tq. The only time I felt it slip was when I had m1 15w-50 in the primary. Drained it for rotella and 20000 miles later no problems. And no clunk into first either.

Just done a service on the sportster, put 360 oil in the engine and formula + in the primary . I pull a service at 2500 mi ,but do the trany at 5000 or so Jake

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Believe it or not this is exactly what I wanted to see, I wish I could find the UOA or VOA from Blackstone.
The info from the VOA was already posted- Formula+ VOA Red Line makes a 75w-110 gear oil that is about the same viscosity as the Formula+. I used Red Line MT-90 in my Sportster primary/trans, seems good so far (about 2000 miles)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Just serviced my primary with Harley Formula+ yesterday. It's what my indy Harley shop recommended.
Of course they recommend it. They sell it don't they. I laugh at these harley guys who buy harley branded fluids thinking it's somehow great when the reality is the product is formulated by the lowest bidder(citgo) and voa shows a barely additized product with minimal anti-wear agents. I guess harley thinks so much of their engines who needs a strong additive package. Rotella is more stout and cheaper. You aren't paying for the harley label,your paying for the oil. I own a harley and I've already been taxed with the higher purchase price and higher cost parts. I refuse to pay extra for oil just because it's branded with a harley logo. Makes me laugh. Reminds me of the title of a dubbie brothers song

They also sell several other brands of oil, but the 2 guys that own the independent shop I use have 50 years of Harley experience between them and I took they're advice. It's a chain case...you could probably p-ss in it and it would be fine. I had them change the primary oil when it was in for a new set of tires...the cost of the Harley primary oil was $6 according to my invoice and it takes just over a qt. I use Valvoline VR1 conventional 'which was $4 a qt on sale at Autozone' in the engine and Redline Shockproof in the transmission. The Redline was $16 for the qt....yes a bit pricey but I'll run it for at least 10,000 miles and maybe more. If you are 'taxed' by the cost of owning a Harley, maybe you should sell it and buy a Hyosung. I've never heard of the dubbie brothers...but I have seen the Doobie brothers in concert a couple of times. Oh....I rode 160 miles today....69 degreesF....eh!

Last edited:
There are several UOA's out here that show the plain-Jane Harley conventional HD360 20W-50 actually turns in good numbers. I think that what most folks have a problem with is that it's more expensive than other oils that turn in as good as, or better numbers. While it's true that the HD Formula+ is basically a manual transmission lube with little additives - take a look at the flashpoint .... it's a good base. ... and you don't need motor oil additives in a transmission/gear case where there is no combustion. Lastly - DO NOT use gear oil or anything rated GL4/5 in a Sportster transmission or a big twin primary chain case. Gear oil can sometimes be unfriendly to yellow metals - and your stator is in there.......

Last edited: