New Harley synthetic 80w-140 gear released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool chart.

I ran Chevron Delo SAE 50 in my 10-speed Eaton per manufacturer recommendation, it worked great. This is behind a 12 liter CAT engine typical GVW in the 78K to 80K range, air temps in the high 80s to 100+. Never had a problem. Can't even imagine the load those gears were under. Now looking at the chart I see why.

Have always run SAE 50 or 60 in the bike (engine and trans) in hot weather, typically add a little 20w-50 in cold weather so I can kick it. Never ran gear oil, the old 4-speeds have yellow metal on the kick starter and the really older ones have yellow metal on the main shaft and countershaft. I've got a gear set that is at least 28 years old that still sounds pretty good on, shafts older than that. Nothing but motor oil.

I've rebuilt a lot of Harley transmissions over the years, about the only failures I've seen are from lack of lubrication (oil leaked out), a dragging clutch that went uncorrected, or other forms of abuse. I've seen a few sets of gears that were just plain worn out but these were older, very high mileage bikes. I've looked inside a 5-speed in an Evo FLHTC that had over 250,000 miles on it running nothing but Rotella 15w-40 and there was nothing wrong with the transmission besides a broken pawl spring.

I'm wondering how much difference any of these oils can really make in terms of wear.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
"37@100cst, the prior test 32@100cst" ... more correctly written it would be 37 cSt @ 100 C and 32 cSt @ 100 C. Viscosity at 100 C (212 F) is also knows as "KV100" (Kinetic Viscosity @ 100 C).

Even more correctly, it is 37 cSt @ 100°C and KV stands for kinematic viscosity.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Is CITGO still making/producing/blending for the OVERPRICED Harley Davidson oils?

No more overpriced then any OEM oil, bike, boat, car, truck. Hmmmm ... maybe better said there are others just as expensive *L* as others have posted in here from the "boutique" oils

I assume but have no idea if Citgo still refines HD oil. I do use Citgo's Mystic JT8 semi/syn 15/50 in my Road King - $30 delivered for 2 gallons. C Rated oil too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
"37@100cst, the prior test 32@100cst" ... more correctly written it would be 37 cSt @ 100 C and 32 cSt @ 100 C. Viscosity at 100 C (212 F) is also knows as "KV100" (Kinetic Viscosity @ 100 C).

Even more correctly, it is 37 cSt @ 100°C and KV stands for kinematic viscosity.

Not so much on the degree symbol (C and F are understood without it), but yes on the kinematic ... dang spellchecker.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back