Hardwood floors vs. LVP

You did see this disclaimer....​

INTERNET SALES ALERT!​

The best way to ensure that you are getting a geniune Provenza Floors, Inc. Hardwood and/or Waterproof LVP product with full warranty coverage is to purchase from a local Authorized Provenza Retailer.

The Provenza Floors, Inc. Manufacturer Warranty will only be honored if the purchase is made through an Authorized Provenza Retailer. Any Provenza Hardwood and/or Waterproof LVP product determined to be purchased through the internet will void the manufacturer warranty. See our Internet Sales Policy for full details.

Ha.......GREAT thread. We just bought another house and it has some engineered wood flooring with a decent wear layer, but it looks really bad in spots. Scratched and dented. Kids have written into it with hard items........... separating........yuckie. Stairs, office and most of upstairs has nasty used carpet.

Bamboo is beautiful and some what hardy but is not "waterproof"

Real oak, maple, walnut, etc....expensive and pets do a number on it

LVP is nice but detracts currently............maybe not in the future though.

Ima talk to some people

Great thread!

Ha.......GREAT thread. We just bought another house and it has some engineered wood flooring with a decent wear layer, but it looks really bad in spots. Scratched and dented. Kids have written into it with hard items........... separating........yuckie. Stairs, office and most of upstairs has nasty used carpet.

Bamboo is beautiful and some what hardy but is not "waterproof"

Real oak, maple, walnut, etc....expensive and pets do a number on it

LVP is nice but detracts currently............maybe not in the future though.

Ima talk to some people

Great thread!

We ended up purchasing what is considered a higher end LVP. We paid $4.25 per sq foot. It felt great under my feet and installers/customers spoke highly of it. I'll report back after it's installed. This product for our life/kids/location was a good fit. What makes this LVP different from others is it is sold in mixed lengths. I find that to be very uncommon and a positive for the look my wife wanted.

Good luck on your search!

Reactions: GON
We are leaning toward LVP big time. Entry is stone, kitchen, baths, laundry are tile. I have come to DESPISE carpet. Animals use it for toilet paper, every booger that drops from anyone's oversize proboscis, any cooking odor, public hair, dust and their mite buddies, show scrapings, sock sweat.....just goes into the forest floor on down into the chem sponge. GROSS. I suppose I don't mind some kind of replaceable rug in places, even a runner clamped on stairs. We have the estimator out on Monday.

I'm also considering LVP to replace carpet I have a couple questions.

Does LVP need to be glued down, or does it float like the laminate planks do?

Does LVP have any VOC concerns like other vinyl products?

I'm also considering LVP to replace carpet I have a couple questions.

Does LVP need to be glued down, or does it float like the laminate planks do?

Does LVP have any VOC concerns like other vinyl products?
My LVP floats and as far as VOC concerns, look for a flooring that is Floorscore certified or GreenGuard certified.

We ran into a couple issues in our search:

1) I told the wife we should have carpet on the stairs for safety. The estimators said things along the same lines. Wife wanted "NO CARPET", I get that and she then conceded we would put tacked down runners. OK.............the last and very sharp estimator pointed something out. We have wide cascading steps. One side of the arc is radiused and the other cut at an angle. Seems odd in words, looks OK with carpet current BUT no way suitable for LVP. Just cannot trim without looking cheesy. Steps will get high end HD carpet. Resolved.

2) OK the bathrooms and kitchen will stay stone tile. It looks fine, wife is OK with it. Problem is, it's near 3/4" build up. WE struggled with underlayment (in current conditions) build up underlayment is crazy expensive. I was surprised at this. We will go with high end transitions. I hate this, but here we are.

3) We looked high and low for LVP that was fairly light color didn't look cheapie and found they do exist. We started to drift to hardwood..........but then snapped out of it. We ended up with Mannington Adura Margate Oak Coastline. Which is on the thicker side.

4) BUTTTTTT..................we are stuck, with cats and dogs and full house do we go with Adura Max and Rigid ???? Please does anyone have input/knowledge?

On a farm, our house gets lived in, so the LVP seems very appropriate. Regarding beveled edges - it seems that it would collect dirt, cake batter, manure, etc. (we have a mud room, but still.....). Anyone with experience about this?

I have Adura Max in our house and really like it. It seems very scratch resistant but we don’t have pets. The matte finish looks good and it has some grip to it. The beveled edges don’t collect junk. It’s solid plastic and has the underlayment attached so it is totally waterproof and chemical resistant, in fact the instructions mention that you can use mineral spirits or just about any water-based chemicals to clean it if you have to.

Pablo - I'm wondering the same thing about carpeted stairs. Some manufacturers make molded LV treads that look pretty good.

In this video they test what material is more slippery as a stair tread. Vinyl, hardwood, carpet.

The house I'm in now is less than 20 years old. Came with prefinished oak hardwood installed in some areas. The floors have scratches from dogs, cats, foot traffic and moving furniture around. It's also bleached from the Sun. 25 years ago I resurfaced the oak flooring in the house I owned at the time. Old school oil poly. Had to leave the house for a couple days it smelled so bad. My ex-wife is still in the house and I went over to see the grandkids last month. She has two large dogs and different animals running around the house. Not a scratch on those floors. You could notice right away how solid they are. Assuming modern pretreated floors come coated with something other than oil based poly. Whatever it may be it doesn't seem like today's hardwood floors are very durable.

Picked up some LVP samples at Home Depot today. Rigid core and solid core in the pic. Same price. The rigid core has a longer warranty. Are either of these the type that floats and snaps together?

Attachments

• 20210408_121150.jpg
    20210408_121150.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210408_121437.jpg
    20210408_121437.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 11
Back