Hardwood floors vs. LVP

My first impression of real hardwoods was in my friend's 1890 fully restored Colonial. His Christmas tree stand leaked, and he had a big, severely warped spot in the floor. With all the potential for leaks & other moisture sources, I wish I had put down a high-end vinyl, rather than the engineered wood I went with in the dining room and entry hall. It's beautiful, and so far, it's been easy upkeep, but it's only a sink or dishwasher leak away from being destroyed.

That's a great point. I have 3 young kids and a few months ago my daughter broke the water feed to the toilet, and I had 20 gallons of water flood my 1st floor. Which is one of the reasons we're replacing the flooring!

I would go with Armstrong Rigid Core vinyl planks. We bought a home in 2018. It was built in 2013. We wanted the carpet removed from the hall and bedrooms. We kicked around the same idea that you are having. We are completely satisfied with our choice. I can highly recommend the Armstrong Rigid Core products.

Reactions: GON
I'd go hardwood over LVP. It looks better, it holds it's value in resale better and you'll never have to hear..."oh, that's a fake floor, it looks pretty good. I almost couldn't tell that it is fake". For only 2 grand more? You kidding me? No brainer.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is a place for LVP floors, but for most instances I'm going hardwood. And I'm not trying to insult LVP folks...I like it, I think it looks good in most instances.

And I would not worry one bit about a dog damaging hardwood flooring (scratching it, peeing on it). Never had a problem in 12 years (two different homes, same dog). And even when hardwood gets "damaged", it doesn't look bad and can be refinished.

Looking at ceramic wood looking tile for our floors.
I got to see a variety of these when I went house-shopping with my elderly parents in Florida. We were looking for the ultimate in non-slip, and easy-maintenance flooring in a brand-new development. This stuff definitely fit the bill. Looked good too.

I got some nice laminate from Luna 11 years ago. Very expensive but looks new. You can take car keys to it as hard as you like and no scratches. That is in the bedroom rest is oak hw. Which I refinished once.

I'd go for hardwood. When I'm buying I figure in the price of replacing laminate or lino.

We have a lot of hardwood. The previous owner's dog scratched it. Mine doesn't. I'll refinish it sometime. Point is I can refinish it.

I installed vinyl plank flooring on our bar dance floor back in 2008. We sold the Bar in 2009. I went by there a while back to visit with the new owner. The floor was still there and looked great. I couldn't believe it.

I loved my dogs over the years but they trashed the hard wood floors in the hallway and bedrooms, rest of the house has carpet thank goodness. We haven't had any one come in and give us an estimate yet but it's going to have to sanded and finished.

I chuckle that luxury and vinyl are in the same product name. Nothing against vinyl, it certainly has its place.

I’d personally go with wood, except in a spot you would expect water (enclosed porch, mud room, basement, etc.).

My parents had pergo put in over 20 years ago and it still looked amazing when they sold their house last year. As kids we would slide each other across the floor in laundry baskets and the dogs never managed to put a scratch in it.

Have you considered bamboo? Should hold up to dogs better than hardwood and is waterproof.

We have some friends with a Texas heeler and a GSD. Both are pretty big for their breed. They installed bamboo last fall so I’m looking forward to seeing how well it holds up.

Before installing, you should let it sit for a month or so inside your home to get acclimated to the new humidity.

Have you considered bamboo? Should hold up to dogs better than hardwood and is waterproof.

We have some friends with a Texas heeler and a GSD. Both are pretty big for their breed. They installed bamboo last fall so I’m looking forward to seeing how well it holds up.

Before installing, you should let it sit for a month or so inside your home to get acclimated to the new humidity.

My wife isn't interested in Bamboo. Happy wife, happy life!

I chuckle that luxury and vinyl are in the same product name. Nothing against vinyl, it certainly has its place.

I’d personally go with wood, except in a spot you would expect water (enclosed porch, mud room, basement, etc.).
It really depends on the preference. This is like some people prefer natural stones while many others prefer quartz counter tops. I personally want quartz and no future maintenance trouble. Vinyl of high quality can be very nice, and it goes well with some home (contemporary, minimalist, industrial, Spanish, etc) while others would suit better with real wood (retro).

Personally I like bamboo floor and stainless steel countertop (Japanese style) the best, but they are not for every style.

I have had horrible results with bamboo and dogs. Yes, the wood itself is very hard. I think it's actually TOO hard, and as a result, the top finish layer gets destroyed with amazing ease. I have 2 friends with bamboo and had the exact same experience.

In the top part of my house, I mostly have top nailed old growth white oak, mostly quarter sawn, some sift sawn. It was installed over fir flooring in the 20's (house is 1906). I refinished it about 20 years ago, waterborne "swedish" finish, low sheen, and it's held up incredibly well to several large dogs. I don't think it's even possible to buy flooring like this any longer unless you go salvage (second growth is all you're going to get, and top nail is out of vogue), but I bring it up because it IS possible for hardwood and dogs to coexist. The new hardwoods in my part-time condo, OTOH, are pretty rough. Fortunately, they're a hand-scraped finish and the scratches don't stand out too much. If I lived there full time they'd look terrible.

I have LVP in the downstairs, and in a new house I'm building. It's the only way to go, IMO, if you have dogs and don't want to source esoteric flooring... It's not all created equal. After over analyzing this to death, I went with the New Age vinyl plank. There are folks using this stuff in their garage--and it really is commercial quality: https://newageproducts.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl-plank/

It does not look as good as wood. But, it looks pretty good--and the quality of this stuff is really high. I just installed 1,000 sq feet of it and it was easy to work with, and significantly higher quality than any of the other "premium" LVP's out there. The only downside to it is that they do not have stair nosing, so if you need stair treads you either have to source something else, or make your own (youtube can help here!).

There are folks using this stuff in their garage--and it really is commercial quality: https://newageproducts.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl-plank/

It does not look as good as wood. But, it looks pretty good--and the quality of this stuff is really high. I just installed 1,000 sq feet of it and it was easy to work with, and significantly higher quality than any of the other "premium" LVP's out there. The only downside to it is that they do not have stair nosing, so if you need stair treads you either have to source something else, or make your own (youtube can help here!).
Definitely looks like it can handle everything life can dish out. I've seen worse "mock wood" materials. It looks pretty good to me. My mother put down mock wood Linoleum in her master bath. I nearly vomited. That stuff deserved to be in my garage underneath my car tires.

Back