Hard Workers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading this thread I'm visualizing what my late dad, a WWII veteran, would say...he'd probably say that if they put high fructose corn syrup in everything back then, if we sat on our heinies because of video games, and had oversold toxic drugs to ameliorate the effects of other toxic drugs, we'd have been just like what you see today. A generation that gets effed by the society versus one that has to rise up because of a World War and people coo about...Pops was a realist versus a sentimentalist.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Good gene pools.

Agreed. The older folks that work hard, do so because they can. Those who can't, just sit around watching TV.

Many people don't want to just "sit around".

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER
Work smart, not hard.

I have heard that several times in the construction field and it always comes from Lazy people and it's usually never as efficient as just lets get it done.

+1 The problem with that saying is usually the person being smart has more to do with finding clever ways to cut corners and
sidestep responsibility for poor outcomes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Good gene pools.

Maybe some of it is genetics, but it also has a lot to do with not sitting around stuffing their face with fast and processed food, smoking or chewing on tobacco, while drooling over the latest ignorant television show. And while I don't involve myself much in the health of those around me who are my age, I don't know of anyone who is active who also spends their day popping various prescription pills or the latest fad supplement. Most of the folks that I know that have always led a healthy lifestyle make an annual visit to their doctor for just a routine checkup, and nothing more.

I see a stark contrast between people my age who have kept themselves active and in shape and those who didn't. By 70 it's pretty clear who will soon be in a nursing home or other assisted living facility, and it's also clear who will keep active and fit for a long time yet. Taking care of yourself throughout your life has significant benefits as you age.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I hate to say it but... Some older people from that generation are tough as nails, but probably not in their best interest. I've seen plenty of older folks completely ignore warning signs and overall health because they don't want to complain, and want a job done. Staying active is surely important, but there must be a balance. In the above example, working that long in the heat could be tough for a younger, in shape person. but for someone of that age, it could cause all sorts of problems.

Chances are, if they've made it as long as the original poster's example, they're smart enough to determine when it's too hot outside.

And while I'm not quite that old, I have no problem going out and working (or being physically active) in the heat and humidity. I know a lot of septuagenarians, quite a few octogenarians, and even a couple nonagenarians who have no problem with working on warm summer days.

There is no question that Jack Lalanne lived a long life due to his lifestyle. But even he, the mighty health nut, fell well short of 100 years old.

However, worldwide the percentage of people who live extremely long lives remains only slightly improved. It's said that lifestyle choices can extend or shorten your life by a decade. Going well beyond that requires good genes. My father lived to 70, mostly due to bad habits. Using the best data we have today, the best I can hope for is 80, "IF" I have perfect habits. I'm 52 and I don't think I'm going to make 80, despite very careful habits, daily gym, and nothing but salad and fish for meals. I'm simply deteriorating rapidly.

Today only 0.0173% of Americans live to 100, put another way, only 1 person in every 6,000 reach their 100th birthday.

Jeanne Louise Calment, the oldest person we've documented, managed to achieve such an advanced age. She smoked until the age of 117 and reportedly ate a couple of pounds of chocolate a week. She also rode her bike until the age of 100 and lived on her own until 110.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER[/quote
Key word: Construction field.

How about IT? Or the service industry? Or transport or warehousing?

Its entirely possible to over-work, a.k.a. Hard. Concepts like to let the machine do the work, only touch everything once, make for a more paced and productive workday or worknight.

So, I disagree with what you say.

Seems my clarification went right over everyone's head.

Same way you can overcook a steak, you can overwork. That also is smart vs hard.

Working smart also encompasses working hard for the part that is not overworking.

What I find interesting is the new generation will go to the Gym to work out but hires someone to mow their lawn. They eat healthy, work out but shy away from any type of physical labor. Iam pretty sure picking potato's would kill half of them.

It's a little off-topic, but follow me. I came across this video the other day about a young man who at 17, built his own car back in 1931. Jay Leno had some interesting commentary on the subject.

I better get off this time waster and go trim those bushes!

What I find interesting is the new generation will go to the Gym to work out but hires someone to mow their lawn. They eat healthy, work out but shy away from any type of physical labor. Iam pretty sure picking potato's would kill half of them.

Society says only uneducated people get dirty and sweaty.

I agree with you that most young folks are lazy.

You couldn't be more right.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

You couldn't be more right.

I totally agree as well.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
There is no question that Jack Lalanne lived a long life due to his lifestyle. But even he, the mighty health nut, fell well short of 100 years old.

However, worldwide the percentage of people who live extremely long lives remains only slightly improved. It's said that lifestyle choices can extend or shorten your life by a decade. Going well beyond that requires good genes. My father lived to 70, mostly due to bad habits. Using the best data we have today, the best I can hope for is 80, "IF" I have perfect habits. I'm 52 and I don't think I'm going to make 80, despite very careful habits, daily gym, and nothing but salad and fish for meals. I'm simply deteriorating rapidly.

Today only 0.0173% of Americans live to 100, put another way, only 1 person in every 6,000 reach their 100th birthday.

I read an economist some years ago, as Oz started pushing back the retirement age that pointed out that the arguments being used were a con.

Hi premise was that once you survived to around 20 (infant mortality, and all sorts of teenage misadventures), you lived to x years +/- y (I forget the exact naumbers), and that "x" hadn't really changed.

The AVERAGE age profile increased because we are much better at surviving childhood these days, but to use THAT metric to base retirement policies on was dishonest use of statistics.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I read an economist some years ago, as Oz started pushing back the retirement age that pointed out that the arguments being used were a con.

Hi premise was that once you survived to around 20 (infant mortality, and all sorts of teenage misadventures), you lived to x years +/- y (I forget the exact naumbers), and that "x" hadn't really changed.

The AVERAGE age profile increased because we are much better at surviving childhood these days, but to use THAT metric to base retirement policies on was dishonest use of statistics.

Absolutely correct, we have fewer young deaths than years ago. There are many reasons for this. And, this fact does not change human lifespan one bit.

We have the same push here to raise the retirement age. However, they use the statistics from the generation of smokers, who died early.

Anyone who looks at graveyard headstones from the 1800's will regularly see people that lived lives as long as those today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back