Harbor freight in trouble

Messages
9,098
Location
Virginia
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Bring manufacturing back to the USA. USA Especially pharmaceuticals. I don't mind spending more $$$ to have more Americans employed.
You say that, but given the prevalence of Chinesium outlets and the fawning over HF stuff on here, I suspect that the vast, VAST majority, even if they say they agree with you, will continue to shop for the cheapest "deal" out there, regardless of COO. That's the reason for the rise of the Dollarama, HF, Princess Auto...etc in the first place. People aren't willing to pay US-made money when they can get a "deal" on something produced offshore.
+1000000
Agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 
Messages
36,248
Location
ME
Originally Posted by Trav
There is something about high quality that really pushes all the feel good buttons for me even if I can have only one not 10 of something. If you know what real quality is its hard to accept crap, most young people unfortunately will never know what high quality really is.
And then you're not swimming in stuff, you force yourself to stay organized, and can start a job without prep. Like having an expensive pen or set of sunglasses. That said, this only works for some people. LOL If I drop a socket in a splash shield, I have another the same size in my road box, and I can finish the job. First socket shakes out when I drive off, I find it and recover it.
 
Messages
5,857
Location
Tn.
With the world of software, maybe tools like HF sells are becoming extinct...maybe a few old buzzards like myself have old tools of days gone by that don't fit anything new anymore-- or since working on new autos is loaded with computer board data, who needs a 1/2 socket set or bigger anymore...I'm not convinced the young men of today are reaching out to wrench turning for a living --IMHO....I'm 74 and I approved my own statement..lol..former HVAC Mechanic,,yes I have ancient tools of the 90's...
 
Last edited:
Messages
12,635
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
With the world of software, maybe tools like HF sells are becoming extinct...maybe a few old buzzards like myself have old tools of days gone by that don't fit anything new anymore-- or since working on new autos is loaded with computer board data, who needs a 1/2 socket set or bigger anymore...I'm not convinced the young men of today are reaching out to wrench turning for a living --IMHO....I'm 74 and I approved my own statement..lol..former HVAC Mechanic,,yes I have ancient tools of the 90's...
Good point. Probably less wrench turning as a hobby or on the side of their regular job. I have a hydraulic press for wheel bearings and such. But how many people going forward are going to have a press, drill press, or mig welder in their home garage? Probably a lot less in the next decade.
 
Last edited:

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
45,594
Location
New Jersey
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
With the world of software, maybe tools like HF sells are becoming extinct...maybe a few old buzzards like myself have old tools of days gone by that don't fit anything new anymore-- or since working on new autos is loaded with computer board data, who needs a 1/2 socket set or bigger anymore...I'm not convinced the young men of today are reaching out to wrench turning for a living --IMHO....I'm 74 and I approved my own statement..lol..former HVAC Mechanic,,yes I have ancient tools of the 90's...
Good point. Probably less wrench turning as a hobby or on the side of their regular job. I have a hydraulic press for wheel bearings and such. But how many people going forward are going to have a press, drill press, or mig welder in their home garage? Probably a lot less in the next decade.
Based upon what? I see lots of young folks taking on new hobbies, putting up videos on YouTube, etc. More stuff is more disposable, more parts sold as modular components. That's true. But a drill press or welder?
 
Messages
12,635
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Based upon what?
Nothing other than what i see around me. Of the 50 or so close to me employees, only one does his own brakes. In my own family circle, other than my father, they don't turn any wrenches.
 
Messages
374
Location
Northeast Georgia
Stopped in my local HF store today. They're having a "parking lot sale" event this weekend. The place was absolutely packed with people. Looked like they had plenty of inventory to go around. Bought a creeper...for $20. It's pretty dang nice. I'm 6ft and 220lbs. I fit in it very nicely and it's pretty comfortable. Casters are decent.
 
Messages
14,513
Location
The Old North State
Just back from HF, first time in couple weeks. had parking lot sale. Spoke to a manager, asked how supply was realizing answer may not be 100% accurate. Said some stuff back ordered, but still getting product. Store look fairly well supplied/stocked, but I had nothing specific in mind to purchase. Mostly seeing this thread wanted to see how bad if at all. I was expecting something much worse. Otoh at the grocery store, for some items, that's another topic. Some aisles almost surreal. As for HF topic generally, reading it's mostly same yada yada seen here for many years about their products and coo. That includes the same old hypocrisy from several that have purchased and posted products from HF then criticize others doing same. Typical do as I say not as I do behavior. But they can rationalize their HF purchase in their own mind. I could link a thread or two proving it, but no point.
 
Messages
524
Location
Lead, South Dakota
Originally Posted by Y_K
It simply tells me, if they can live good lives on $2.50 per hour, the purchasing power of their currency is much higher there than the manipulated exchange rates (and they have more than one) suggest. I wish more Americans would think hard who they give their money to. Self-destruction has many forms, but usually is associated with shortsightedness. Automation will sure bring a lot of surprises to all interested parties in the near future.
The average Chinese worker is not living a very good life, and in fact is living one that virtually every western worker would (rightly) find unacceptable. Chinese factories have had to erect suicide nets because so many workers would rather jump off the roof than clock in for another shift. There is some currency manipulation going on, but the average Chinese person is still much, much poorer than the average American.
 
Messages
39
Location
Tennessee
Maria: "Peter, why is the US dependent on China's manufacturing facilities for so many critical items that are needed in the US?" Peter: "Why? Simply because of sweatshop labor, lax environmental regulations and the targeting of US industries from Chinese companies who are propped up by the Chinese government to undercut US manufacturing with low prices."
 
Messages
4,371
Location
N.C.
Originally Posted by 2015Corolla
Maria: "Peter, why is the US dependent on China's manufacturing facilities for so many critical items that are needed in the US?" Peter: "Why? Simply because of sweatshop labor, lax environmental regulations and the targeting of US industries from Chinese companies who are propped up by the Chinese government to undercut US manufacturing with low prices."
I saw that this morning as well. I kept waiting for him to mention greed from large USA companies......but it never came.
 
Messages
392
Location
U.S.A
Companies will turn to sweatshop labor to increase profits for as long as they can. If HF can produce a wrench overseas of $.25 it makes no sence for them to produce in America for $.75.
 
Messages
12,635
Location
North Carolina
Originally Posted by Sayjac
As for HF topic generally, reading it's mostly same yada yada seen here for many years about their products and coo. That includes the same old hypocrisy from several that have purchased and posted products from HF then criticize others doing same. Typical do as I say not as I do behavior. But they can rationalize their HF purchase in their own mind. I could link a thread or two proving it, but no point.
I have bought things from HF. Some things i like, some i don't. I buy USA as often as i can, when it is feasible. Some things, you really don't have a lot of choice. Some things, like brake line wrenches really need to be a quality wrench like snap-on or proto. Some things i would like to buy domestic, but were 10 times higher and simply too expensive, like tool chests.
 
Messages
14,513
Location
The Old North State
Originally Posted by spasm3
…..I have bought things from HF. ………….
Just to clarify, the main reason I posted this thread was the first paragraph not quoted your reply. I thought reading the title and visiting the local store yesterday I'd see HF with little or no product on shelves. As noted, not at all the case. So to me the title of thread should appropriately have a question mark at the end of it. That said, I have no expectation that will happen. Second paragraph quoted, just happened to read several comments as I was going to post and it was like deja vu all over again. As I always attempt to do, what I posted there is factually accurate and for sake of brevity won't repeat. What one chooses to buy, where and for what reason(s) their business. In my case no one is providing funds to me to dictate what product or where I should purchase any item. Perhaps my age a factor, but I truly don't give a fiddler's what anyone thinks about it either. So your purchase from HF (or not), it's all good with me.
 

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Messages
45,328
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Sayjac
As for HF topic generally, reading it's mostly same yada yada seen here for many years about their products and coo. That includes the same old hypocrisy from several that have purchased and posted products from HF then criticize others doing same. Typical do as I say not as I do behavior. But they can rationalize their HF purchase in their own mind. I could link a thread or two proving it, but no point.
Hence my post. You'll have folks blather about it, but then shop there anyways. Personally, I've never darkened the door of an HF or Princess Auto (seemingly their Canadian equivalent) but when I see talk about the exodus of Western manufacturing, a lot of people talk a big game but when the chips are down, they shop based on "the deal" not COO.
 
Messages
14,513
Location
The Old North State
^^^^And thus my follow up comment after seeing extreme agreement notation with said post knowing that HF product purchase(s) had taken place. Point to note, those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. However, not really surprised.
 

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Messages
45,328
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Sayjac
^^^^And thus my follow up comment after seeing extreme agreement notation with said post knowing that HF product purchase(s) had taken place. Point to note, those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. However, not really surprised.
thumbsup
 

Y_K

Messages
2,754
Location
WA (USA)
There will be no shortages. In fact, we shifted our Great Depression Overcapacity to them. They will realise this soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see Coalition of 8 rule in a new iteration again. (that is different from the current 8 Angels rule they are enjoying)
 
Last edited:

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
45,594
Location
New Jersey
Originally Posted by Sayjac
As for HF topic generally, reading it's mostly same yada yada seen here for many years about their products and coo. That includes the same old hypocrisy from several that have purchased and posted products from HF then criticize others doing same. Typical do as I say not as I do behavior. But they can rationalize their HF purchase in their own mind. I could link a thread or two proving it, but no point.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
^^^^And thus my follow up comment after seeing extreme agreement notation with said post knowing that HF product purchase(s) had taken place. Point to note, those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. However, not really surprised.
Incredible. You must have some vested interest, or a real desire to be offended, to be going on like this. I ignored your first post on this, but youre just going on and on now... why? Yeah, most any reader on here knows precisely why you went off like this. Ill pull it up at the bottom of the post to be entire transparent (unlike your posting - why not call out by name and purchase???? You threatened to, why wasnt it "worth it"?). Its just amazing, so you're arging my (and bbhero, and Mr Nice's) endorsement to bring manufacturing back to the USA? Our willingness to spend more to do so? Youre arguing the reality of the vast majority pursuing the cheapest "deal" out there at the cost of jobs and domestic manufacturing??!? Or what? Glass houses? Ive been clear when Ive found a best in class thing sold there (specifically, their smallest aluminum jack). Ive also been clear forever that its a fun store to walk through. And? Your point is what then? (hint, you have none - the global manufacturing reality is something we are all subject to) If youre going to call someone a hypocrite for buying foreign goods - guess what, its impossible not to. So Im not sure if your point is dramatic, hypocritic in itself, or just plain stupid. I know you claim to be able to link posts and threads, claim no point, but if you did, it would be quite clear that finding best offers and best in class items is a reasonable and rational. It would also be quite clear that I put money where my mouth is when buying tools and items where the lights are still on in the factories. Im sure your next step will be for you to play it cool and claim via plausible deniability, by not naming posts or names that it wasnt about the ones Ive cited. Any reasonable person would recognize it, so again Ive included the subject posts below.
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Bring manufacturing back to the USA. USA Especially pharmaceuticals. I don't mind spending more $$$ to have more Americans employed.
You say that, but given the prevalence of Chinesium outlets and the fawning over HF stuff on here, I suspect that the vast, VAST majority, even if they say they agree with you, will continue to shop for the cheapest "deal" out there, regardless of COO. That's the reason for the rise of the Dollarama, HF, Princess Auto...etc in the first place. People aren't willing to pay US-made money when they can get a "deal" on something produced offshore.
+1000000
Agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^
I ignored it the first time, but you keep going on... Why? Enough already. I stand by my position. Not sure what you think youre going to get out of trying to frame people as hypocrites.
 
Top