Had to break out the sweatshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been so long since I needed warm clothing, that I had a hard time finding my sweatshirt. Fortunately, I found it, and it still fits. It looks like this is going to be a fairly "cold" winter here in SoCal, probably dipping below freezing some nights.

About 24 years ago, I remember snow falling within the city limits of San Diego. It didn't stick, but it didn't melt immediately either. I remember it well because I was doing some underground plumbing work at the time, and it's the year my wife was pregnant with our youngest. Since then, we've had a few winters with some pretty hard frost in the mornings, but I haven't seen snowflakes in the city. Right now they're talking about snow down to 2000 feet or so, which is pretty serious. Some folks like snow, and they won't have to drive very far to sled and frolic and whatnot.

I'm hoping to go out this afternoon on a half-day ocean fishing boat with my son, the Army sergeant. It could be called for rain, but if we go, I'll be sure to post some pics. I doubt we'll catch anything to compare with JHZR2's recent trophy, but it's possible we'll catch a ling cod or sheephead, which can be pretty good sized. I'll be happy with a sack of rockfish, as that's mostly what we catch this time of year.

Us S. Calif residents are tough. When the temps drop into the mid 30's like it did this week we put our jackets on and roll up the window while driving on the freeways. We're prepared. We are also getting a double hit this week. It's raining. The ground is wet and there are puddles everywhere. What's worse is that there are clouds and you can't see the sun. We're not worried because it rained last year, too. The clouds will be gone tomorrow and everything will be okay. We just need to remain calm and pray that we've weathered the worst of this final storm of the year and look forward to a better new year. Happy new year!

I woke up to 12 degrees today. Won't top 32 until Sunday here.

And I saw a dude on a motorcycle on the highway. Dude is NUTS.

9 degrees here, as I start to dress to change the wheel cyclinder in my un-heated garage, I recall my one visit to San Diego in December. The winter conditons of California were so brutal, why the US still forces people to live there in the winter ...

Hopefully, this won't affect California Citrus growers. So far this year in Florida, we've had some nice temps - cool enough to bring out the sugar in our oranges but not cold enough to harm either trees or fruit.

Do you know if California citrus growers can still use the old "smudge pots" to keep the groves warm?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Hopefully, this won't affect California Citrus growers. So far this year in Florida, we've had some nice temps - cool enough to bring out the sugar in our oranges but not cold enough to harm either trees or fruit.

Do you know if California citrus growers can still use the old "smudge pots" to keep the groves warm?

smudge pots may be allowed in certain air districts and also under exemptions in others. Open fires may be allowed also. The wind machines are the first line of defense usually.

It's too cold in Orange County too, it's only 54 degree in the unheated garage, too cold to do anything outside the warm house.

The mountain about 20 miles away on the East has snow down to around 1500-2000 feet, this is the first time it has snow covered in more than 20 years.

Sweatshirt and light jacket is needed now, heavier jacket is needed tonight when temperature drops to low 40's high 30's.

Where is Global Warming ? I want it !

Originally Posted By: surfstar
The wind machines are the first line of defense usually.

Those used to be really popular in these parts but now, it's a rare occasion to see one in the groves - water is our main line of defense, (though I still use the "open fire" method which the fire department calls a "warming fire").

-4F here this AM. Cold arctic air is parked over our area. According to the Omaha World Herald, it will be colder in Columbus,NE than Fargo,ND tonight. Nothing like the -51F we saw at Craig,CO in I believe February of 1985. Stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back