Guy next door

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the guy next door let me use his Cub Cadet rider to cut the yard and I decided to check the oil .. What oil? .. Bone dry so all I had was a quart plus of Shell RTS 5w40 synthetic. The motor is a Koler Courage I think around 18hp and it took just over a quart. Was this the wrong oil to add? Did I just trash this guys rider with the wrong oil?

He may have trashed it by running it out of oil, but what you put in is probably one of the best OPE oils out there.

Some old drain oil would have been better that what was in it...which was nothing.

I'd tell him you added oil. He may have been planning to add some himself and forgot. If he proceeds to add it w/o checking, it will be overfull.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I'd tell him you added oil. He may have been planning to add some himself and forgot. If he proceeds to add it w/o checking, it will be overfull.
I wouldn't. If the mower blows up next week it'll be your fault.

depends on the neighbor, I'd tell him you checked the oil before mowing and it was low so you added.

Either way your possible friendship is screwed if it blows up a week after you used it.

Your neighbor aint too bright. And when, not if, his engine blows, of course it will be your fault, because you added oil. After all, it was running fine until you tinkered with it.

If I was in your shoes, I would do several things.

1) Tell the neighbor that the engine was CRITICALLY low on oil and could have blown up at any minute.
2) Teach him how to do an oil change. That engine has never had an oil change and the owner has probably never checked the oil since new.
3) Advise him to check the oil at least once a month.
4) If he is too incompetent to complete the above, tell him that you don't mind doing it for him if he brings the parts/oil to you.

I borrow my neighbors 13hp leaf blower. when I am done it gets:

1. oil change
2. carb & air filter cleaning
3. new spark plug
4. power washing

Costs me about $12 and he is very appreciative because I am now his annual maintenance. If I borrow something I like to give it back in better shape than when I got it.

Last edited:
Depending on how ethical your neighbour is (or isn't) hopefully you did him a favour. Next time, check the oil right in front of him so he can see how neglectful he is and not have it be your fault.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Did I just trash this guys rider with the wrong oil?

No you just saved that guy a huge repair bill.

When I owned a Cub Z-Force zero turn mower with a Kohler Courage 20hp V-twin, Cub recommended Rotella 15w40 for the engine, in the Cub manual. Look up any Kohler recommendation and it will be 10w30 just like most others. I personally like 40wt variants for small air cooled engines.

I would tell him. Being completely honest is the only way to ever be,no matter what. Also,when I borrow something,I take full responsibility. If it bites the dust while or immediately after I use it,I feel it's my responsibility to either replace or help replace the item. What I would've done in your case,is inform him before I even attempted to use it,that it had no oil,and then go from there.

Originally Posted By: Doog

1. oil change
3. new spark plug
4. power washing

Costs me about $12 and he is very appreciative because I am now his annual maintenance. If I borrow something I like to give it back in better shape than when I got it.

**** DANG. Can I let you borrow a bunch of my stuff???

JP

Just don't make the mistake of mixing synthetic and non in a motorcycle crankcase with a wet clutch or draining regular oil and replacing with synthetic. A new clutch may be in your future.

Your neighbor isn't this guy, is it?
laugh.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3443403/1

Originally Posted By: Doog

1. oil change
3. new spark plug
4. power washing

This. It goes a long way with people to show that you respect their stuff and appreciate that they lent it to you. Years ago my grandfather lent my uncle his lawn mower. My uncle hit a big rock and needless to say he bent the crankshaft and returned it broken. My grandfather rarely lent out any tools since then, and its understandable why.

Before I bought my rototiller we needed to till the garden. I recently changed the oil on his commercial mower so he thought I was able enough to use his rototiller. After I borrowed it I changed the oil, gave it a tune-up, and washed it. He was so impressed that it looked like new that now he insists I can borrow anything I need.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back