Rotella T4 in Kohler Courage 18hp Twin

From what I've read on this board, it seems like I should likely consider using an oil with a higher zinc content than I have been in my Kohler 18hp Courage Twin.

I had been using 10w30 Cub Cadet branded oil at every change for the first 50 hours and just switched to 10w-30 Supertech HM Full Synthetic this year but after seeing the zinc numbers in the Rotella T4, I think I may switch over to Rotella T4 10w30 going forward. Mowing season is anywhere from 60 to 90 degrees when I run the mower so I think I'll stick to 10w30.

Any opinions on T4 vs T5 for that Kohler?

T5 will last longer and stand up to oxidation a little better. The real reason I use it is I find it much more common and I can get it at Walmart cheaper than T4 10W-30 when I can find it.

I have the same engine in my Cub Cadet.. not sure why 15w40 wouldnt be an option with only usage at 60+ degree days. What benefits do 10w30 give you over 15w40?

I have the same engine in my Cub Cadet.. not sure why 15w40 wouldnt be an option with only usage at 60+ degree days. What benefits do 10w30 give you over 15w40?
I'm not sure, I'm just not very adventuresome with oil weights as I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject so I just use whatever weight the manual says to use.

However, I'll definitely look into 15w40 T4 as it seems that is a very popular choice for OPE on this board, I plan on starting with T4 next Spring.

Reactions: MM8
Back