Guy in 5.0 Mustang challenged me this morning to a race

adrennelin rush asside - I'd tromp it to 15 MPH and sit back (no ego here) hope HE'd catch da cop. Watch 2, 3 mi down the rd & drive by, legal speed, to wave to them both.
Only times I was 'good' w/cops was on motorcycles - left at hi speed, turn off (some times off road) when unobserved.

A friend of mine had a 1994 300ZX twin turbo that he built up with every mod imaginable back then. Complete engine internal mods and all. He comes and picks me up one night to go driving around. We end up on the interstate, and the speedometer on those cars go up to 160mph. He casually looks over at me and says "Hold on". I was like, "Huh"? He nails it and the speedometer needle goes way beyond the 160 mark and is still climbing fast. I'm freaking out and literally crying, begging him to slow down!!

Weird how when you're in the driver's seat, it's a bad ass feeling. But when you're the passenger, it's terrifying!! Same with being on the back of a motorcycle.
Just plugging that car's specs into the top speed calculator, at 7K (so on the limiter) in 5th (overdrive) it was capable of 185mph. 160mph in overdrive was at 6,100RPM. On the limiter in 4th would have put you at just under 140mph.

Nice car, almost bought one same color but backed out. Wasn't interested in an automatic and I wasn't going to an mt82 from my nd2 miata. Waiting for a 1LE in riverside blue or rapid blue with the tremec.

It was still accelerating up to the end of that video, as per the tach.
, probably just getting into boost, maybe he had the good sense to put the phone down.

Maybe.

But.. yes.
Funny story about those Civics...I had a 96 while I was in college. It didn't have the B series that his has, but I could bury the speedometer at just over 125. I thought that little car was moving, until I got a GPS app on my phone. I was actually topping out at 112mph. That really hurt the ego and stopped me from telling people about my fast Civic.

I got out of the top speed runs quite a few years ago. If someone wants to run me these days, 95% of the time I won't respond to them. But on the rare occasion I do, I'll go from a dig up to the speed limit and back off. Works very well in an EcoBoost F150.

Nice car, almost bought one same color but backed out. Wasn't interested in an automatic and I wasn't going to an mt82 from my nd2 miata. Waiting for a 1LE in riverside blue or rapid blue with the tremec.

I want to order a 2SS 1LE with auto transmission but dealers don’t have an allocation.

1LE is a better car than a PP1 5.0

Funny story about those Civics...I had a 96 while I was in college. It didn't have the B series that his has, but I could bury the speedometer at just over 125. I thought that little car was moving, until I got a GPS app on my phone. I was actually topping out at 112mph. That really hurt the ego and stopped me from telling people about my fast Civic.

I got out of the top speed runs quite a few years ago. If someone wants to run me these days, 95% of the time I won't respond to them. But on the rare occasion I do, I'll go from a dig up to the speed limit and back off. Works very well in an EcoBoost F150.
112mph is still pretty fast for a NA 90's 1.6l... They are fun cars anyways, just not the best at pretending you're at Bonneville! My SIL in NZ has a Honda Integra Type R from Japan, with about 200hp, but its geared only to hit ~118 mph in top gear, which it just reaches at their local small track a hundred yards before the braking zone. Not a bad thing to keep your track days a bit safer I guess, as it probably would hit 130-135 mph easily on a bigger track. I think the body lift starts to become significant on lighter cars like that, at those speeds.

112mph is still pretty fast for a NA 90's 1.6l... They are fun cars anyways, just not the best at pretending you're at Bonneville! My SIL in NZ has a Honda Integra Type R from Japan, with about 200hp, but its geared only to hit ~118 mph in top gear, which it just reaches at their local small track a hundred yards before the braking zone. Not a bad thing to keep your track days a bit safer I guess, as it probably would hit 130-135 mph easily on a bigger track. I think the body lift starts to become significant on lighter cars like that, at those speeds.

I think this is an EK.

Least track suited car I've ever seen. (Bad weight distribution. Lack of weight to hook.)

Yes, very dumb to race on street.

Will not happen again.
I appreciate and respect your candor… I think you’ve apologized twice. Cool cool. I think most of us have had those moments where we’ve done similar, perhaps long ago, perhaps not as long ago. Glad you are here Dave.

-m

I want to order a 2SS 1LE with auto transmission but dealers don’t have an allocation.

1LE is a better car than a PP1 5.0
Tell me about it. I could've gotten a dealer order cancelation 1ss 1le but it was in wild cherry and I had that similar color for my nd2. I wanted blue but I kind of regret that decision. 2023 orders should be opening up soon but we'll see.

Yes, they don't drag race it! Its one of the best handling fwd cars ever made, so thrashing it around the road course once in a while is a better use for it.

I was rather in love with the either 2000 or 2001 Civic in the Fast and the Furious. I think it was the black one. The Civics in my opinion dont look as good past, what is it, 2006? (First year of new design?)

I appreciate and respect your candor… I think you’ve apologized twice. Cool cool. I think most of us have had those moments where we’ve done similar, perhaps long ago, perhaps not as long ago. Glad you are here Dave.

-m

I have to agree, I had what I think was an Orange Mustang ? miss me by inches, splitting lanes on a 2 lane road at well over 100mph. At night . Probably the scariest moment I've had on the road. Maybe a money race . Beyond reckless .

They hit the back of someone else's car about a mile down the road.

Back