Guy in 5.0 Mustang challenged me this morning to a race

As a fellow GT driver i don't indulge in this type of thing anymore , but the temptation is always around ,
And don't get me wrong i enjoy letting her rip once and awhile.
But i ask all you do gooders you never break any laws or have never sped in your life ( Ya right )

Whole street racing thing aside...

What kinda dingbat picks a fight with basically the same car thats up 30 HP factory... he musta missed a memo somewhere...

His car might have been modified, but traction probably played a role in me getting the lead very early.

I filled up my wife’s 2020 Mustang GT at Shell this morning around 7:30 AM and was going out for a drive on a 4 lane country road.

A guy in a yellow 2017 Mustang GT (435 horsepower Gen 2 Coyote 5.0 engine) pulls up beside me at a red light and revs his engine 3 times obviously wanting to race. I’m in my wife‘s 2020 Mustang GT stock/ no mods (460 horsepower Gen 3 Coyote 5.0 engine). I accept his challenge. The guy is around 30 years old, I don’t know if his 5.0 is modified or if his transmission is auto or manual. I didnt lower the passenger window to talk to him. I’m in the left lane and he’s in the right lane, no passenger in either car.

I put it in ‘Track Mode‘ , my left foot on the brake and I bring RPMs up to 1500 with my right foot waiting for the green light.
This country road is empty and it’s around 70 degrees, perfect conditions. :) LOL

The light turns GREEN
- I let off the brake , I’m about 50% on the gas pedal and my tires are spinning just a little and then hook.
- As soon as the Michelin Pilot Sport tires hook I go 100% WOT, I think a full tank of 93 octane help add weight above the tires.
- The 10R80 auto transmission shifts soooo lighting fast from 1st gear up to 7th gear and at around 135 MPH I’m about 5-6 car lengths ahead of him. I’m wondering if the gap would have been bigger if I had selected Drag Mode.

Not trying to break the law…… just having some fun with fellow Mustang driver.
The 2020 PP1 Mustang (photo) with auto trans runs high 11’s completely stock. Not bad for a car under $45K

View attachment 97528
Oh, that was you? ;) lol.

The 69 351 Mustang i built for one of my twin sons, Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum heads, Camshaft, converted to 5 speed and Front disc Brakes and Electronic Ignition ran 186mph on highway at 2am, no danger
Wheel must have been balanced extremely well! I bet those tires were pretty warm after that..

As a fellow GT driver i don't indulge in this type of thing anymore , but the temptation is always around ,
And don't get me wrong i enjoy letting her rip once and awhile.
But i ask all you do gooders you never break any laws or have never sped in your life ( Ya right )
This “do gooder” did do some stupid **** back in my teenage years (1976) and severely injured my best friend in a racing type crash. I hated life for a long time while he dealt with multiple operations to correct his face. I love high performance muscle cars still but I don’t drive much over 6 mph over the posted speed limit. That incident cured me of street competition…

This “do gooder” did do some stupid **** back in my teenage years (1976) and severely injured my best friend in a racing type crash. I hated life for a long time while he dealt with multiple operations to correct his face. I love high performance muscle cars still but I don’t drive much over 6 mph over the posted speed limit. That incident cured me of street competition…
Agree 100% street racing is not smart , i don't imagine too many of us are innocent thats why i comment on the do gooder posts .
We have all done things that could have turned out really bad , and most of us have been extremely lucky i think.
Unfortunately you are witness to when things go wrong.

Almost everyone has done something that’s not quite ideal in their time, but save it for the track where everyone is a willing participant in the potentially dangerous situation. Let them rev their engine all they want.
That’s a beautiful car. My Son said that he would like one of those for his first car,…I told him that he had lost his d**m mind.” He loves Mustangs,…that hurts a bit being a Mopar guy. 🤔😂
Cheers. 🍻

I was young and dumb, I am amazed that I haven't been injured in a car wreck with all the dumb crap I've done. I still push it on safe empty three lane roads sometimes but as safely as you can.
Young and dumb is real.
Older and wiser is real too.

I've been to 150 on a bike before, only once and even at a young age after the fact I knew it was one of the dumbest things I've done.

Co-worker showed me a video of him pushing his modified Honda Civic with every model you would think of At about 180 miles an hour plus, may he pushing 200.
*just noticed the speedometer is Km/h. Still though. Had to be.. at least 160, probably faster a la Fast and Furious. Dash video, he showed me.

Racing hood, racing slicks, built engine, boosted, needle buried.....
Younger individual.
20220424_184530.jpg
20220424_184656.jpg

Honestly Officer we weren't racing! We were comparing torque characteristics simultaneously.

Co-worker showed me a video of him pushing his modified Honda Civic with every model you would think of At about 180 miles an hour plus, may he pushing 200.
*just noticed the speedometer is Km/h. Still though. Had to be.. at least 160, probably faster a la Fast and Furious. Dash video, he showed me.

Racing hood, racing slicks, built engine, boosted, needle buried.....
Younger individual.
View attachment 97598View attachment 97600
How does one safely take a picture of the speedometer buried in a civic capable of those speeds?
I know a guy I used to work with used to send pics of his Chevy Cruze doing 120 that died one morning going to work.
Now his son calls some other dude daddy.

Back