Gunk Brand Engine Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow members

Getting ready to change oil for the upcoming summer months. I decided I would try a quick motor flush, would like to try Auto RX next time around but need a qucik fix now. Engine had a little bit of crud around the filler cap but nothing major, from what i could see peering down at the internals is that it was a bit dirty and somewhat "gritty" I am switching to a HDEO 15W-40 this oil change and I thought that combined with a "motor flush" would be a good start. I am aware that it is basically either a diesel fuel or kerosen in a bottle but my question is regarding the instructions. It says to use on a cold engine and to add it to crank for 5 mins at idle. However shouldnt I be at operating temp to get better flow and more crud out of the oil that is being held in suspension? I guess what i am asking is there anyharm to add this flush to a hot or normal operating temp engine? what is the harm in adding it to a hot engine. I know not to drive with it in the crank but cant I go for a spin down the higway for about 5-8 mins come home with an at operating temp engine then park it and ppour in the flush for 5 mins at idle? Does that sound ok? any thoughts or comments good or bad are welcome.

Sorry for the long winded post
smile.gif

Gunk is highly volatile which is why they say add to a cold engine.

My rec. would be to run the HDEO and then order some ARX or LC for future cleaning.

I would use the Gunk as directed by the maker .

I would also think about fairly a short interval after use with a cheap oil .

That kinda depends on how crudded up the motor is but never the less residual Gunk Flush will be in there so a short change would be advisable IMO .

Gunk flush if not done regularly from the beginning of the life of the engine will cause large chunks of deposits to loosen and become free in the engine clogging your oil screen/pump. DONT DO IT, do an ARX treatment over a long period of time. the quick fixes are never just that.

I've used it once. It's not that bad of a product. I used it in a hot engine without problems. Don't know why it says to use in a cold engine as solvency should increase with temps.. A comparable product, "Bardahl engine flush" says to use in a warmed up engine...so I think it's OK.

I wouldn't drive the car. Obviously the lube is thinned out by the product and the protection won't be there. Secondly, you are overfilling the crank by adding the product and I wouldn't recommend putting a load on the engine as a result.

Cold engine...easy.....flash point and autoignition temperatures MAY be a little problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back