Ground strap broke off down spark plug hole

Story keeps changing... vague wording like "bottom", "fused", "loose".

The situation has been discussed. I wish you the best of luck with this.

I had to drive the car about 50 miles with 5 stops yesterday for some unavoidable errands. The car runs great. The noise quieted down quite a bit the first time i hit 2k rpm, but gets loud again around that. Here is a video of the tach going from a stop light with the top down

A borescope gets here tomorrow if there is any way it will be of help. I did install a new acdelco alternator a few days ago could this just be bearing noise? I believe i have found a nice 90s pontiac, should i be worried driving the mustang to pick it up?

The plug on the far right in your picture looks like the ground strap is hitting the center electrode. Dropping anything metal into the combustion chamber is bad news. You may get lucky and that piece of metal may got out of the exhaust but thats highly unlikely. That piece of metal is bouncing around your combustion chamer which is very hot. Its only a matter of time before it causes irreparable damage to the piston crown, cylinder walls, or the valves.

If you keep driving this, then you won't have to worry about how to fix it.

You'll know it's time for a new car when a rod comes through the block. The "noise" will get louder, a lot louder.

I had to drive the car about 50 miles with 5 stops yesterday for some unavoidable errands. The car runs great. The noise quieted down quite a bit the first time i hit 2k rpm, but gets loud again around that. Here is a video of the tach going from a stop light with the top down

A borescope gets here tomorrow if there is any way it will be of help. I did install a new acdelco alternator a few days ago could this just be bearing noise? I believe i have found a nice 90s pontiac, should i be worried driving the mustang to pick it up?

Sounds devine lol

The ground strap broke off installing a new spark plug. I tried sticking a magnet in there and got nothing. I tried cranking with no plug in the hole. It rattles around pretty fiercely when I start the engine now. Anything else I should try at this point?
It's a ground electrode, not a hockey puck. leave it alone it will find its way out or burn up. You may be able to rent a borescope to look inside, still amazed that you broke off the ground electrode!!

Thanks for all of your help. I have inserted a new plug finger tight and the noise persists. I have been told it sounds like piston knock, there is no cure. I should look into a compression test, but really just get a new car. It is throwing code p106. Thank you for your help. Any further suggestions are welcome. This is my first time changing spark plugs and although it has been fun and educational I do not know if this car thing is for me any longer.
Wow. ALWAYS take the old parts out first and compare them to new. If it looks wrong it probably is.

This crazy, my neighbor came over last night with a misfire code P303 on a 2010 escape, the plugs ground had fallen off, no other damage to the plug like from impact damage. A leak down test showed it had taken the exhaust valve out. NGK plugs, correct for this vehicle, the others looked fine with good color.
I hope this is not a sign of QC issue. NGK has been making products all over the place that even as late as just a few months ago were quality parts made in Japan.

I spoke to NGK about a coil pack made in Korea that even they still had listed as COO as Japan, they asked for a pic of the coil and box then confirmed made in Korea. On the phone the agent told me they are making/outsourcing a lot of parts and a lot are being made by Wells which they bought.
Visually the coil appears lower quality than the one made in Japan I got just a few months ago. Opticat is still showing it as made in Japan.

Good morning,

Sorry for the delay in response. It was confirmed that the country of origin for U2082 is Korea.

Lela Martin

Racing Sponsorship / Technical Support – Aftermarket Division

NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), Inc.
(877) 473-6767 option 2

[email protected] | www.ngksparkplugs.com

This crazy, my neighbor came over last night with a misfire code P303 on a 2010 escape, the plugs ground had fallen off, no other damage to the plug like from impact damage. A leak down test showed it had taken the exhaust valve out. NGK plugs, correct for this vehicle, the others looked fine with good color.
I hope this is not a sign of QC issue. NGK has been making products all over the place that even as late as just a few months ago were quality parts made in Japan.

I spoke to NGK about a coil pack made in Korea that even they still had listed as COO as Japan, they asked for a pic of the coil and box then confirmed made in Korea. On the phone the agent told me they are making/outsourcing a lot of parts and a lot are being made by Wells which they bought.
Visually the coil appears lower quality than the one made in Japan I got just a few months ago. Opticat is still showing it as made in Japan.

Trav, could those NGK plugs, and the OP's be counterfeit?

Good thing it wasn't a bolt, lol.

1630464975908.jpg

Sounds devine lol

Yes, i actually like the noise. Feels like driving an agriculture vehicle. Could be mistaken for exhaust pop. Kinda loud compared to my Muffler, maybe i should make it louder. Searching youtube it sounds pretty close to a catalytic converter rattle. Maybe that is it, damage on the way out.

Trav, could those NGK plugs, and the OP's be counterfeit?

As i said before i bought them from the official msd ebay store and they shipped from holley. They are a lot more fragile than the motorcraft platinums i took out.

Last edited:
Yes, i actually like the noise. Feels like driving an agriculture vehicle. Could be mistaken for exhaust pop. Kinda loud compared to my Muffler, maybe i should make it louder. Searching youtube it sounds pretty close to a catalytic converter rattle. Maybe that is it, damage on the way out.

As i said before i bought them from the official msd ebay store and they shipped from holley. They are a lot more fragile than the motorcraft platinums i took out.
With stuff like spark plugs it's better to just go to AutoZone or any other reputable parts store. It's what, $70 for OEM iridiums once every 60-100k? Even for someone like myself who drives 5000+ miles a month that's nothing compared to replacing a broken engine.

download_20210904_091937.png

Here's a picture from the borescope. I didn't see anything too shocking in there

download_20210904_091932.png

Maybe that is the embedded piece, to the left of the word compared.

I switched back to my original alternator and the noise is much less. I'm going to exchange for another acdelco unit and see if it helps.

Back in England too many years ago to be relevant my best friend was messing with his CARB and dropped a small ball bearing in the cylinder. That really messed things up, piston was beaten to cr@p.

View attachment 69646

Here's a picture from the borescope. I didn't see anything too shocking in there View attachment 69647

Maybe that is the embedded piece, to the left of the word compared.

I switched back to my original alternator and the noise is much less. I'm going to exchange for another acdelco unit and see if it helps.
Well it did do a good job of removing carbon

Back