Ground strap broke off down spark plug hole

They're the plugs every website seemed to say fit. The 2 sets look different now that I compare, with the new actually being shorter KIMG0261.JPG

Vacuum(shop vac)clean so you can look through when done.
Tube(flexable to move around in hole)and duck tape to seal around hose and tube.
This worked for me when I dropped something in my oil pressure sending unit holevon a 5.3.
This is a blind hole at the back of the intake. Was relieved when this worked

Thanks for all of your help. I have inserted a new plug finger tight and the noise persists. I have been told it sounds like piston knock, there is no cure. I should look into a compression test, but really just get a new car. It is throwing code p106. Thank you for your help. Any further suggestions are welcome. This is my first time changing spark plugs and although it has been fun and educational I do not know if this car thing is for me any longer.

UM, whenever doing a plug job (or any job) compare the old parts with the new ones to make sure they are the same. If unsure compare with manual, item numbers, etc.

Pistons hitting plugs means they are too long.

As for pieces falling in, I did a plug job recently and found that some porcelain had fallen in some time before and it caused no problems. Not ideal of course.

Use my tip from 6 years ago, Powerbait and a fishing pole to fish it out?

The ground strap on a spark plug is steel. It can probably be fished out with a magnet.

But if the engine was cranked over with that bit of steel in the cylinder, it’s entirely possible that it got caught between the piston and head and caused permanent damage. It may even be embedded in the piston itself, causing the piston to hit the head on every stroke.

An expensive lesson in verifying and comparing parts.

If the noise is there with the correct plugs installed, and the debris removed, then there is permanent damage.

I will try to fish anything out when my friend with more tools is around. I had done all of these plugs a few months ago. I got a p316 code on one plug and noticed it was sticking out much further than the others today. I was just trying to redo one of them.

Here is a video of the sound it is making

It's the L shaped ground strap. Bigger than a tip. The noise started after I noticed it missing from the plug and read running the engine with the plug out will blow out debris. It does not make that sound with the plug out but does with the plug inserted loosely. I had just replaced the alternator with a bad bearing yesterday and marveled at how nice it sounded.

I think there is not much to do now but see if it drives around like that. I am so sorry bitog'ers I feel like a disgrace to all car diy'ers.

How can you tell? Whenever I hear an engine running with a plug out, it's as loud as one without a muffler.
I made a video of it and got the opinion it was a normal plugless sound. Maybe the opinion was wrong. I have uploaded it as well

If it’s peened a few divots into the piston top or cylinder head, the sharp edges will retain heat under load and cause preignition. I learned that the hard way.

Back