Griot's Garage Machine Sealant Kit $200

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Griot's backing plate is almost six inches. The Meguairs pads' velcro does not go all the way to the edge but the Griot's backing plate diameter is larger than the Meguair's velcro but obviously smaller than the pad. So, the backing plate cut in to the pad. A matching pair (i.e. same manufacturer of the bp/pad) most likely would not have resulted in this mishap.

Last edited:
Ah I see, that's also why the Harbor Freight polisher destroys the Harbor Freight pads ironically.

You can get a new pad or backing plate but if you know you're going to continue using a pad with a certain diameter velcro then it's easy enough to cut a strip off the edge of the current backing plate to match the size of the velcro on the pads you use.

You can cut down the backing plate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyRGJDbCFA

With that said, something tells me you may be using way too much pressure on your DA and tilting your machine more than you need to. I've used incorrectly sized backing plates before (in the manner you described) and have not killed any pads as a result.

Regardless, I would either cut down the backing plate to 5" or get a proper backing plate for 5.5" pads.

I have been pretty happy with the Buff & Shine 5.5" orange pads -- they've been my go-to for most tasks. Very inexpensive and last a long time -- even when I loan them out to my amateur friends. I would also get some of the green ones for finishing or AIO products.

Man, it has not been my day! I used Meguiars rotary backing plate with the adapter and disaster struck. The pad flew off and the buffer shaft hit the paint :-( Poor Camry lost the paint on its door. I recall hearing similar incident in another forum. Even the direction of the threads should prevent such a thing from happening, the vibration of DA must have caused the adapter to come loose from the backing plate.

Which 5" backing plate would you guys recommend? Or I could start purchasing larger pads and continue to use the Groit's backing plate. I don't feel I can trim the backing plate as shown in the video.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Man, it has not been my day! I used Meguiars rotary backing plate with the adapter and disaster struck. The pad flew off and the buffer shaft hit the paint :-( Poor Camry lost the paint on its door. I recall hearing similar incident in another forum. Even the direction of the threads should prevent such a thing from happening, the vibration of DA must have caused the adapter to come loose from the backing plate.

Which 5" backing plate would you guys recommend? Or I could start purchasing larger pads and continue to use the Groit's backing plate. I don't feel I can trim the backing plate as shown in the video.

That's unfortunate to hear. It happens.

I would get a standard 5" backing plate for DAs and some 5.5" pads. I'll send you a PM.

Why does a pad cleaning brush cost so much? How is it different from a bristle brush or even a generic tooth brush? Of course the shape of the handle is different but that should not turn a $1 brush in to $20 brush! Or is this going to turn out yet another of penny wise and pound foolish mistake?

I put the GG Pads in the washing machine with towels.

Cleans them great!!
thumbsup2.gif

Why does a pad cleaning brush cost so much? How is it different from a bristle brush or even a generic tooth brush? Of course the shape of the handle is different but that should not turn a $1 brush in to $20 brush! Or is this going to turn out yet another of penny wise and pound foolish mistake?

I have a short bristled leather brush from Detailed Image that was a few dollars. To be honest, pad cleaning on the fly will only get you so far. Pads get saturated and loaded up with product and removed clear. Plus they get warm. It's really best to just swap out the pads after a few sections.

Can somebody positively confirm if Meguiar's DMF6 6" DA Microfiber Finishing Disc will fit correctly on the GG6 backing plate? It is claimed to 6.25 (159mm) in size.

Can somebody positively confirm if Meguiar's DMF6 6" DA Microfiber Finishing Disc will fit correctly on the GG6 backing plate? It is claimed to 6.25 (159mm) in size.

They 6” Meguiars MF Finishing discs fit perfectly on a 6” BP. I know this because my Rupes 21 backing plate is 6” and the discs fit fine on it.

M205 with the finishing discs make a very good combo for moderate correction. I still follow-up with a foam polishing pad and HD Polish (M205 should still work for this) to remove the light haze that microfiber discs generate.

With that said, I am not the biggest fan of these pads because they require more care to use. They need to be cleaned frequently, preferably with shop air, to remove the built-up debris. If they are not cleaned properly, they will leave tick marks on some paints.

If you do not have shop air, I would get at least 4 of the discs, clean them with a brush/towel after each section, and swap them out frequently.

I must be doing something wrong. I followed the instructions to the letter. Washed, clay barred, Machine Polish 3, followed by Cleaner Wax – all Griot Garage products, including the random orbital and pads. Car looked great afterwards. A day or two later (naturally!) I was caught in a 45-minute rain. The rain quick beading up by the end of the shower. May I assume there’s still some wax left on the surface in spite of the fact rain no longer beads up? Or am I to conclude that Griot Garage products don’t last very long at all?
frown.gif

That is strange. I wonder if one needs hot temperature curing i.e. keeping the car in the sun after applying the products. If your car already had sun and heat exposure afterwards, then I am all out of ideas. I used only Meguiars products for polishing and waxing, so I can not comment on the longevity of the GG cleaner wax but it has good reviews.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back