Greetings from my new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have posted in the past, I am now working for the cupertino fruit company in their smart phone division. All I can say without leaking any confidential info is that:

1) The culture is super secretive here, your teammates may not know what you are working on, some even have a black cloth on their bench. Everyone gets a shared office and it must be locked when no one is around, on a floor that is always locked. People need to badged in every layer of security not just showing their badge. When a visitor from vendor shows up, there is a security alert that everyone must hide their stuff. Business travel is secretive, you are not suppose to tell your co-worker where you are going (other than you are going). Unmarked secret labs are everywhere and you don't know it until you are told to meet someone somewhere. All important large meetings are badged so if info leaked out they will trace down to who leaked it and fire/sue the leaker. Every conversation about a project is on codename, and you are not suppose to talk about it until he/she/them signed an NDA about the project (not just the general NDA you sign when you joined the company).

2) Free dinner! every night regardless of you working or not in the team (not the entire company though), but most people do work 10-11 hours here a day. Fridge and cabinet are full of health and some unhealth snacks, energy drinks, soda, and sometimes OJ are everywhere for free, as well as fresh fruits like orange, pears, etc that are stocked on a regular basis. Yeah, I know, you grow out of it after a few weeks and you have a family to go home to, but still exciting to see it.

3) The IT department sucks. Everything were automated and falls through the crack until you call. Desks / Ergo were set wrong and they leave it alone until you threaten to file an injury report.

4) You get refurbished computers for work, but darn it, they are powerful. I got a Xeon E5520 that shows up as 16 processors on task manager (dual socket quad cores I assume), and a dual core laptop that has 4GB of ram.

5) Equipment they buy is top of the class, but sometimes they bought the wrong thing and building a set of code for testing takes 3 hours!!! I though SanDisk was bad but that was only 30 mins to 1 hour max.

That's all I can say without getting myself or anyone else in trouble.

congrats on your new I-job.

Don't feel bad, I work for a IT services company and we use PCs that our customers have already paid the depreciation on (i.e > 3 years old)

Last edited:
Waiting for Steve Jobs to lock this thread
wink.gif

I-don't think I-PandaBear really I-works at an I-fruit stand.
Do they have honeycrisp, braeburn, or winsap there or only macintosh?

I visited a company that serves soup to all of its employees and guests. It was a tradition going back to the founder's wife cooking lunch for everyone.

task manager? Isnt that a PC thing? Youre running windows at the fruit company? Id think that one might like to use an OS that is kind of named after a type of apple they may sell...

Congrats on the new job. I know you agonized over the decision for some time, and I'm glad to hear you've got it all settled.

happy2.gif

This is some spooky stuff. The free food reminds me of dot-coms, circa 1998.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

2) Free dinner!

About 10 years ago, my computer-programmer of a wife had a job that gave you free beer buffet after 3:00 in the afternoon. Of course, the company lawyers ruined it for fear that the next employee DUI would result in a lawsuit.....
And, they were probably right.

Congrats on your new job.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
task manager? Isnt that a PC thing? Youre running windows at the fruit company? Id think that one might like to use an OS that is kind of named after a type of apple they may sell...

Different fruit I believe...

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

2) Free dinner!

About 10 years ago, my computer-programmer of a wife had a job that gave you free beer buffet after 3:00 in the afternoon. Of course, the company lawyers ruined it for fear that the next employee DUI would result in a lawsuit.....
And, they were probably right.

Congrats on your new job.

It would have been cheaper for them to hire a few designated drivers then to get the lawyer involved!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Some of the development platform we use do not support the feline operating system. That's all I can say.

Last edited:
Quote:
Some of the development platform we use do not support the feline operating system.

That is all I have to say.

Ten_Bears_by_Dances_With_Wolves.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back