Green Diesel Engineering Tune

Rolled the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel over 120,000 this month and to celebrate, she gets a GDE tune module to 'wake her up'.

Supposedly, this tune jumps up HP by 30 and Torque by 60.... all with stock hardware, exhaust, etc.

I am wondering what this will do to my OCI.... I guess only time will tell but wondering how tunes have affected your oil and life of your oil.

I'm wondering why the need for a 'tune'? Tuners often advance injection event timing, which can gain more power, but the detrimental drastic rise in pressure isn't worth the cost. Banks Power has a good dyno video on this subject. After seeing the large pressure increase for a slight bit of added power, I would never 'tune' my Duramax.

I have run 30k plus miles on my tuned 2011 LML duramax with no issues. It is mainly is kept on the hot street tune or race tune from Duramaxtuner, and all emissions equipment is entact. I have posted a uoa here before. I highly recommend their tuning on the LML.

I need to change the oil in the next week, so I am very tempted to send a sample in to BS. Then 10k miles later with the tune in place, test again.

I'm wondering why the need for a 'tune'? Tuners often advance injection event timing, which can gain more power, but the detrimental drastic rise in pressure isn't worth the cost. Banks Power has a good dyno video on this subject. After seeing the large pressure increase for a slight bit of added power, I would never 'tune' my Duramax.

Coming off the dealership lots, the EcoDiesels were 'decent' in performance, but after the settlement between the EPA and FCA, the new flash caused the truck to have dangerous turbo lag, it absolutely drinks DEF and MPG fell off. Green Diesel Engineering is widely known for tunes that not only raise the performance of the truck (HP, Torque, MPG, less DEF, etc.), but also make them cleaner. Any EcoDiesel owner that dropped the coin for the GDE Tune says it is hands-down the absolute best money they have spent on their truck.

Your engine makes 260 hp and well over 400 ft/lbs of torque. I doubt you'll notice a difference.

We shall see.... Every ED owner that added GDE notices a very pleasant difference.

Find it kinda hard that a tune can turn up the power AND the emissions. I mean, would FCA have done that in the first place if it was possible?

I sure did like my VW after I got it tuned. But it wasn't tuned for emissions, that's for sure--it didn't smoke, it wasn't like that. I think the tune largely took out whatever VW did to make a flat torque curve--it certainly had a huge peak afterwards, but I could now feel the power fall off as the revs climbed.

My guess? If fuel economy stays the same, then the OCI is fine. Under high boost yeah the oil takes more abuse--but if you're not on it enough to take an mpg hit then it must not be all that hard on the motor oil. Just my SWAG.

My guess? If fuel economy stays the same, then the OCI is fine. Under high boost yeah the oil takes more abuse--but if you're not on it enough to take an mpg hit then it must not be all that hard on the motor oil. Just my SWAG.

Yeah and I agree and I think if any additional stress, wear and tear occur, it will be when I am pulling the camper over the 10-12k passes in the Rockies.

We are also planning a 3-4 week RV trip out east to see some sights of America we haven't seen.... Smoky Mountains, Appalachians, NC Coast, Niagara Falls, Boston Brews and Maine Lobster. That trip will reveal a lot.

I have run 30k plus miles on my tuned 2011 LML duramax with no issues.
My question is when will the tune cause a problem with engine longevity? Head gaskets, cracked pistons, cracked rings, broken crankshaft, etc.

Find it kinda hard that a tune can turn up the power AND the emissions. I mean, would FCA have done that in the first place if it was possible?

I sure did like my VW after I got it tuned. But it wasn't tuned for emissions, that's for sure--it didn't smoke, it wasn't like that. I think the tune largely took out whatever VW did to make a flat torque curve--it certainly had a huge peak afterwards, but I could now feel the power fall off as the revs climbed.

Sure but FCA warranties the emission system (ie. DPF service life) for X miles/years.

My question is when will the tune cause a problem with engine longevity? Head gaskets, cracked pistons, cracked rings, broken crankshaft, etc.
It definitely can. Later model LML engines were having issues with cracked pistons, regardless of being tuned or not.

Diesel tuning is now regulated by the epa. If the tunes are not certified by the epa, the tuning company will get shut down. Idaho Rob(ATP) was shut down and even Kory Willis(PPEI) had a fine and delay until they could certify their tunes. This is the reason I went with whom I did.

I have several friends with tunes in them, they love them. It shuts of EGR which is a killer of these engines. Too bad you didnt do it new as intake in this thing will have a HUGE amount of soot in it. Pull egr tube off and look inside intake.....bad news

I have several friends with tunes in them, they love them. It shuts of EGR which is a killer of these engines. Too bad you didnt do it new as intake in this thing will have a HUGE amount of soot in it. Pull egr tube off and look inside intake.....bad news

Yeah, a EcoDiesel owner I have exchanged several messages with told me that after he installed the tune, his oil wasn't pitch black at the OCI any more. It was darker, but nothing like before the tune.

No doubt my intake isn't as it was new. Suppose I should look into cleaning it. I know there is a company in Denver that will dive into the engine to give it a good cleaning, but I don't think it is cheap. Probably something I need to do myself over a weekend.

Oh my frickin goodness!!!! This is a whole new truck! Turbo lag is gone. Engine noticeably runs smoother. Get-up and go is way quicker. And.... MPG! I live in the country, so I drove 55-60mph, 13 miles out and 13 miles back and this was my mileage. .....Nearly unbelievable with a 4x4 and 34" tires.

Even removing the air box, took me 30 minutes to install, along with the AlphaOBD code setting (VIN & Injectors).

Nothing but BIG smiles here!

uHztxQu.jpg

Oops, I see I should have said "turn up power AND turn down emissions".

Assuming the calculated MPG is correct, If you didn’t calibrate the ECU for taller tires, it will read higher than actual. I believe GDE used to offer that service.

From the GDE website....... for the 3.0L Ecodiesel.

Fuel Economy improvements 2-4mpg.
Very broad torque/performance curve for better drivability.
34hp, 60 ftlb over stock.
Reduced lag with pedal input, more responsive and predictable behavior.
0-60 mph about 1.5 seconds quicker than stock.
Improved combustion efficiency for reduced soot formation. Reduces frequency of regeneration events.
Reduced soot loading in the engine oil. Can extend service interval if testing oil.

Back