Green Diesel Engineering Tune

Just seems odd that FCA would leave that on the table.

I wonder the tune removes a flat torque curve and/or exceeds input torque on the transmission. Dunno. Going to guess it doesn't matter too much for someone who isn't WOT all the time, though, even if the tune could cut into reliability.

I wonder the tune removes a flat torque curve and/or exceeds input torque on the transmission. Dunno. Going to guess it doesn't matter too much for someone who isn't WOT all the time, though, even if the tune could cut into reliability.
The tunes actually flatten the torque curve. The factory tunes are designed with many safety limited installed, and yes, most tunes do back of some of the safety measure a bit in the calibration, but they are still present. On most race tunes there are still some safety measures in place.

You are correct, if you are not into the throttle all the time on a hotter tune, are you doing much damage to the engine? I would suspect not. Keeping things cool is paramount with all engines, and especially diesels engines. More fuel is more heat. Treat them nice and they will be happy.

Drivability is greatly improved with a proper tune. If for nothing else, I am extremely please with how my truck responds to throttle input the most, and second is the added power. Win win.

Assuming the calculated MPG is correct, If you didn’t calibrate the ECU for taller tires, it will read higher than actual. I believe GDE used to offer that service.

I have the AlphaOBD and I keep the tire size accurate. Right now they are 275/65R20.

They left it on the table as emissions are now higher....lol

Nice to see GDE operating again. They are a popular company on the Jeep Forums, both for the Ecodiesel and the OM642. I believe i am correct in saying they had issues with the environmental authorities.

Nice to see GDE operating again. They are a popular company on the Jeep Forums, both for the Ecodiesel and the OM642. I believe i am correct in saying they had issues with the environmental authorities.

Yep.... EPA got after them, along with nearly all of the other 'tuners' in the industry.

GDE is claiming their tune for the 2021 Ram EcoDiesel (also in the Jeep Wrangler) is a better tune than prior to the EPA messing with them.

Yep.... EPA got after them, along with nearly all of the other 'tuners' in the industry.

GDE is claiming their tune for the 2021 Ram EcoDiesel (also in the Jeep Wrangler) is a better tune than prior to the EPA messing with them.

But it doesn't shut off the EGR like it did before. So you still have all of that gunk going into your intake (less than stock though). Food for thought.

I'd be running their tune if it was easily obtainable in California 🐻. Fyi.

20210103_131329_01.jpg

These tunes typically run right up to the edge of design limitations of the transmission. Especially with regards to initial torque at low RPMS. Sometimes the torque limitations also appear later on up in the gears (ex, 6th gear with the ZF8HP)..

These tunes typically run right up to the edge of design limitations of the transmission. Especially with regards to initial torque at low RPMS. Sometimes the torque limitations also appear later on up in the gears (ex, 6th gear with the ZF8HP)..
GDE also offers Transmission Tunes. I don't have that and not paying for it, because 30 additional HP and 60 additional Torque isn't going to negatively affect anything.

Now I agree with you regarding some of the other EcoDiesel tuners.... where some of them will do a full 'off-road' tune, requiring a full exhaust delete and EGR delete and ...... nearly 100+ HP and pushing right at 200+ ft lbs of torque. No way the engine is built for that stress.

Diesel tuning is now regulated by the epa. If the tunes are not certified by the epa, the tuning company will get shut down. Idaho Rob(ATP) was shut down and even Kory Willis(PPEI) had a fine and delay until they could certify their tunes. This is the reason I went with whom I did.

Idaho Rob tuned my Dmax about 15 years ago. I have only driven the truck 40K since and mostly I treat that truck pretty nicely, I have a modified Ford to beat on. I'm sure its not EPA approved and its faster than "most" cars on the road. Gets firm 20 MPG in Rob's tune, 4 door, long bed, @ 505 HP at the rear tires but the rear tires are slipping on the dyno due to the torque 900+. The truck will make more HP/Torque but I run 235/85/16 tires and they spin a little on the dyno.

I never heard of Rob or PPE getting shut down. PPE is in Orange County CA, I could see them getting shut down.

My trucks are hardest on the trans when the converter locks up. Both of my transmissions are built by the top builder in the business specific to the trans. John Woods/Ford, Mike lynwood/Allison.

Idaho Rob tuned my Dmax about 15 years ago. I have only driven the truck 40K since and mostly I treat that truck pretty nicely, I have a modified Ford to beat on. I'm sure its not EPA approved and its faster than "most" cars on the road. Gets firm 20 MPG in Rob's tune, 4 door, long bed, @ 505 HP at the rear tires but the rear tires are slipping on the dyno due to the torque 900+. The truck will make more HP/Torque but I run 235/85/16 tires and they spin a little on the dyno.

I never heard of Rob or PPE getting shut down. PPE is in Orange County CA, I could see them getting shut down.

Unfortunately, ATP and IdahoRob we're shut down by the EPA 2 years ago. His choices were; pay a $49MM fine and stop tuning or close his doors...

Also, Mike L. from Inglewood Transmission retired in January...

Check Rob's website. They only sell parts now. PPEI was restricted, however I think they may be up and selling calibrations again, albeit epa certified only.

I'm wondering why the need for a 'tune'? Tuners often advance injection event timing, which can gain more power, but the detrimental drastic rise in pressure isn't worth the cost. Banks Power has a good dyno video on this subject. After seeing the large pressure increase for a slight bit of added power, I would never 'tune' my Duramax.

This is only true if you use the extra power. The Cylinder pressure increase by advancing the timing is true, but the torque produced is directly related to cylinder pressure. If I can produce 100 ft-lbs with 50 mg of fuel per stroke on the stock tune, and can produce 100ft-lbs on the aftermarket tune with only 40 mg/stroke of fuel, then I am producing the same torque(and therefore the cylinder pressure is the same) while using less fuel. This is because the timing is advanced.

The only time your cylinder pressure would be higher is if you exceed the torque and hp of the stock tune which you likely won't do in day to day driving.

The emissions requirements that diesels have been saddled with is the reason there is so much overhead. In order to avoid the production of NOx, they have to force the diesel cylinder temperatures/pressures to be lower than optimal. The result is lower NOx but the trade off is higher soot, more CO2 and lower fuel economy.

An aftermarket tune typically increases the temperature and pressure, which results in elevated NOX, lower CO2, lower soot, and lower fuel consumption. The only major negative side effect to good diesel tune like GDE's, is the higher NOX production. They do their homework. Its not as simple as just bumping the boost and timing and sending it. They take a good long time to throughly test their tunes, including towing in the Rockies at max weight.

I had a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD and got a GDE Hot tune for it after a year or two of ownership. Power went from 160hp/300tq to 200hp/364tq or something like that. It was very noticeable when you laid into it.

The gas mileage increase was also huge. I went from averaging 26mpg and getting around 29 all highway to averaging 29 and getting 34-35 all highway. Its no joke what can be done with a diesel tune.

Aside from that, that thing was the biggest pile of crap ever, and the reason why I have not looked more than briefly at ecodiesels. They seem to have cut many of the same corners on the Ecodiesel as the did the CRD.

Back