Greatest Country Song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pike51
That's tough. Country has so many greats, you could name several and not be wrong.

But the obvious answer is David Allen Coe's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" (written by Steve Goodman). I mean, it's the perfect country and western song... because the last verse talks about trains, momma, prison, and getting drunk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAOVRkSCWmg

NOT much of a DAC fan (IF I explained WHY I would get a big 'vacation' on here
wink.gif
), but agreed on the song itself, (and I LOVE Steve's OWN version), and I will raise you another Goodman song (as done by himself), "Don't Do Me Any Favors Anymore".

My fave, which some might not even call 'country' since it is NOT mainstream, top 40, popular, Clear Channel/Sinclair dribble, is Robert Earl Keen's cover of Townes Van Zandt's "Snowin' On Raton".

It is perfect to me because of the way REK slows it down, and adds that high lonesome/melancholy pedal steel, as well as his plaintive voice.
thumbsup2.gif

Bobby Bare's 1965 "Four Strong Winds." Written by Ian Tyson. The sixties were a good time to be alive but also changed the country forever.

Last edited:
To me it's hard to nail down a favorite, so I'm going to toss out a few by era or subtype/genre

First of all, for good traditional "old time" Bluegrass songs I'd have to pick "Wildwood Flower" by the Carter Family. Johnny Cash recorded a really good version of the song too.

Hank Sr. deserves his own category, and it's hard to nail down a favorite. "I'm So Lonesome I could Cry" and "Your Cheating Heart" are real tear-jerkers. "Cold, Cold, Heart" is a song I think many guys can relate to at some point or another in their life, and you can hear the longing in his voice. There's a good amount of country and Southern Gospel crossover, and "I Saw the Light" is an incredible and uplifting gospel song.

On the sad front, "Tennessee Waltz" is a great classic. Going up through the years, "He Stopped Loving her Today" has to be at the top of the sad list. On the more recent front, "Holes in the Floor of Heaven", "The Dance" by Garth Brooks, and "Whiskey Lullaby" as sung by Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss are on my list. I should also mention a good traditional-"The Cowboy's Lament" or "The Streets of Laredo." I think the version by Marty Robbins is best known, and although this is like choosing a favorite child I have to say that I prefer the Johnny Cash version of it.

I could name plenty by George Strait. "Amarillo by Morning" keeps coming up, and I have to include that one on my list. "Love without end" is a great song with religious overtones, and "I Cross my Heart" is a just a great song.

From the "story telling" front I'll put out "Watermelon Wine" by Tom T. Hall.

Glen Campbell gets his own listing-I love "Wichita Lineman" and "Gentle on my Mind." His last song-"I'm not going to Miss You"-is sad but I know speaks to a lot of people taking care of a loved one with dementia. It's a wonderful song.

The Outlaw guys had plenty of stuff worth talking about. I've mentioned Johnny Cash a few times already, and I don't think I could list a favorite. I feel much the same about Willie Nelson. "Highwayman" sung by the Highwaymen just makes the whole Outlaw movement come together to me.

Among modern mainstream artists, I like a lot from Alan Jackson and Randy Travis. Among some of the younger acts I think that Josh Turner and Brad Paisley both deserve a mention(even though Paisley has ventured into "bro country" a bit). Jamey Johnson has had some really great songs.

Someone above mentioned both Hank 3 and Margo Price. I admit to not having listened to Hank 3 much, but when I first heard him on the radio I could have sworn I was hearing a Hank Sr. song I'd never heard before. I had to listen a bit closer and realize he sounded like his grandfather but wasn't QUITE the same(not in a bad way-just different). His yodeling was spot-on. I saw Margo Price on SNL(I think) or perhaps a late night talk show and bought her album on iTunes on the spot.

How's that for a long answer to a simple question? I love country music and I don't think I could pick a single song.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Glen Campbell gets his own listing-I love "Wichita Lineman" and "Gentle on my Mind." His last song-"I'm not going to Miss You"-is sad but I know speaks to a lot of people taking care of a loved one with dementia. It's a wonderful song.

You're 200% correct. The amazing Glen Campbell is in a league of his own.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

You're 200% correct. The amazing Glen Campbell is in a league of his own.
Glen Campbell, appearing with **** Bills and his Sandia Mountain Boys on KOB Radio in Albuquerque, 770 on your AM dial, weekdays at noon.

Two of the most 'country soulful' covers of top tier songwriters' songs for me are;

Jonathan Edwards' cover of Merle's "Today I Started Loving You Again", and

Buddy Miller's cover of Tom T. Hall's "That's How I got To Memphis" (with Buddy's amazing Wandre baritone guitar work, playing off of Al Perkins' phenomenal pedal steel mastery!)

Originally Posted By: dishdude
No such thing as a great country song.
37.gif

That's exactly the way I feel about; techno, trance, dance, prance, 'electronica', etc.
wink.gif
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back