Greatest Country Song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
The latest country music doesn`t cut it. The current crop needs to listen to what has been posted here to get their act together. Plus they all sound the same , nothing to distinguish one from another.

There are many good country artists today. Unfortunately they don't play the majority of them on modern radio. Chris Stapleton, Eric Church, and Jamey Johnson do get some airplay. But you never hear guys like Shooter Jennings, Hank 3, Todd Snyder, Margo Price, Sturgill Simpson, Elizabeth Cook, Old 97's, Turnpike Troubadours, Lukas Nelson, and The Bottle Rockets.

If you have Sirius XM, check out Outlaw Country channel 60. They play modern, real country mixed with some classic outlaw stuff from Willie, Waylon, Cash, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Jerry Jeff Walker, etc. They have some wonderful personalities as hosts including Mojo Nixon, Elizabeth Cook, and Shooter Jennings.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
The latest country music doesn`t cut it. The current crop needs to listen to what has been posted here to get their act together. Plus they all sound the same , nothing to distinguish one from another.

Speaking of it all sounding EXACTLY the same. Give this an honest listen and laugh your tail off the entire time!!

Amarillo By Morning is so darn good. Hard to argue with that. Garth did a great job on Much Too Young. It's not the same but it's up there, too.

This place is funny, in a bad way. I posted a county song on here and it was deleted, why was that?

So I'll try again Frank Zappa...Harder than your husband. And yes it is a county song!!!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Wichita Lineman is one of the best songs ever. Glen Campbell is one of the best musicians there will ever be. He was also part of the Wrecking Crew,the most talented group of musicians there will ever be as well.

I didn't realize until a few months ago that Glen was an absolutely butt kicking guitarist...I mean, just incredibly good. Fast, precise, good tone, everything...I think he's one of the greatest of all time for any style of music.
This isn't even the best clip I found of Glen shredding, but I think Roy Clark was one heck of a guitarist and Glen makes him look like an amateur here. Not trying to knock Roy, Glen was just a rare talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-sExIVBVaw

The trouble is there used to be great Country (& Western) music being composed, now it's all about the performers combined with the lyrics / melody, which is either pure pop or comes from what could be described as a lame formula. So before you could have a Buck Owens composition (or a Glenn Campbell composition, or a Hank Williams composition) sung by Owen or Glenn or Hank or sung by another good singer and it's all still good, maybe even great.

Now, it'a all about the "~Boys" or some other solo artist but the songs, the composition, come from hired guns who write to a formula (clever lyrics are a bonus) and then is massaged by producers who come from the pop and rock world half the time ... and the up-and-coming ones are pop producers through and through.

I mean, Taylor Swift used to write and perform what was arguably identifiable country music; maybe you haven't seen what she's doing today but it's as far from country as Australia is from my back yard. And why? Managers and Labels don't want to make country music anymore, they want to make music that appeals to everyone, and that means pop music, rap influences, songs "featuring" some other artist from another genre to "fuse" the appeal, and so on.

Sad, really. You have to seek out good country music today, and you even have to know what the buzzwords are (hint: they call it "Americana" now) to find it on the radio or via streaming.

Campbell was a great guitarist ... that comes from *composing* songs as a musician ... but he's not unique in that respect from the country ranks. People like Merle Haggard and countless others, if you play, will amaze you at what they are able to do on an instrument.

First off, I really like (mostly modern) country music. There are a bunch of talented artists out there, but there are definitely some bad ones. Here's a couple funny videos that makes fun of the way mainstream modern country is these days... not that I don't like it lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Wichita Lineman is one of the best songs ever. Glen Campbell is one of the best musicians there will ever be. He was also part of the Wrecking Crew,the most talented group of musicians there will ever be as well.

I didn't realize until a few months ago that Glen was an absolutely butt kicking guitarist...I mean, just incredibly good. Fast, precise, good tone, everything...I think he's one of the greatest of all time for any style of music.
This isn't even the best clip I found of Glen shredding, but I think Roy Clark was one heck of a guitarist and Glen makes him look like an amateur here. Not trying to knock Roy, Glen was just a rare talent.

Man that was AWESOME!!!!

Man that was AWESOME!!!!

Oh yeah, I love listening to those boys go at it!!
So many great clips from old TV shows to watch on YouTube...stumbled across this one with Eric Clapton and Carl Perkins appearing on the Johnny Cash show, believe is it the only time Derek And The Dominos appeared on TV (Duane Allman had already passed on). Legend is that Eric was high as a kite and Johnny was stone drunk...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW1BFtWPbX4

Man, does that bring back memories. Both Glen and Roy were just magnificent in that performance. Was that from the Hee Haw show?

David Allan Coe...The Ride. The opening makes the hair on my arms stand up every time I hear it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ride_(David_Allan_Coe_song)

I think Midnight in Montgomery is an homage to The Ride...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back