Great day for me :) My garage is happening

I'm pretty sure the floor is going to be at the base of the blocks. I know the excavators are coming and according to the contractor "they have a lot to do"

Hopefully we'll see in a few days. My brain still can't imagine what it's going to look like

I probably missed it, but why block?
not sure, I hired a contractor and that is what he is building. He is renovating 2 houses and building this garage.

I will add I think most of the structure is going to be wood, designed to match the other structures on the property

Last edited:
not sure, I hired a contractor and that is what he is building. He is renovating 2 houses and building this garage.

I will add I think most of the structure is going to be wood, designed to match the other structures on the property
It’s matching existing buildings. Makes sense now.

Dirt work has started. There have been dump trucks rolling in here constantly today. I lost count after 15 loads.
PXL_20220901_201841821.jpg

PXL_20220901_201851338.jpg

PXL_20220901_201905447.jpg

PXL_20220901_201921862.jpg

That's a good bit of fill dirt! Looks like it's coming along.

I have a forklift and scissor lift scheduled to arrive tomorrow to start building mine. Earlier this week, weather forecast was a beautiful, but hot Labor day weekend, and scattered showers Tues & Weds of next week. So I pulled trigger on equipment delivery. The further the week went along the rain kept moving earlier and earlier, and all the sudden it's intermittent thunderstorms all weekend. Such is my luck in 2022 and for my garage project in general. Still contemplating whether to postpone or persevere, but I've got friends helping that probably don't want to be in the rain all day.

Hope weather is good for you and that you keep making good progress!

Did you need a geotech eng stamp for your permit?
Not sure, I have just let the contractor handle all that stuff.

Day 2 dirt work. Boy there has been a lot of dirt hauled up here. Second day of a constant stream of trucks. Remember that the back wall was 8' high

PXL_20220902_211022085.jpg

PXL_20220902_211050148.jpg

Not sure, I have just let the contractor handle all that stuff.

Day 2 dirt work. Boy there has been a lot of dirt hauled up here. Second day of a constant stream of trucks. Remember that the back wall was 8' high

View attachment 115267
View attachment 115268
Where I live, that fill they added on the sides of the walls nearing those slopes would start to disappear quick during heavy rains.

But soil conditions, fill type, etc plays a part and might not be the same in your area. Nonetheless, I’d question the contractor how he envisions water runoff / erosion on that side.

Did they do any compacting on all that dirt?

Where I live, that fill they added on the sides of the walls nearing those slopes would start to disappear quick during heavy rains.

But soil conditions, fill type, etc plays a part and might not be the same in your area. Nonetheless, I’d question the contractor how he envisions water runoff / erosion on that side.

Did they do any compacting on all that dirt?
They have been compacting it. Also I asked about the water issue and they said "wait until; we are done" LOL

I worked for a cement company one summer a very long time ago. One thing I learned is cement can be made in a variety of strengths. Bridge mix will resist crack when it freezes and usually will not crack when a cheaper cement in the same application would of, if it is thick enough and has enough rebar in it, it has some additional chemicals added to it to 1) makes it foam up so it has small air bubbles in it for room to expand and contract you can not see them but the cement in the truck does look a little different, 2) another chemical makes it take longer to dry because cement that dries slow is stronger, 3) another chemical that is added makes it retain moisture during drying because if cement remains moist while it cures it ends up being stronger. When it has all 3 and a high number of sacks per yard it is called bridge mix. The company I worked for was on the border of 2 states, and different states had different formulas for what they called bridge mix. One was cheaper then the other and the expensive one had more sacks per yard and was a better cement. It is more expensive, but if your the garage is going to see freeze thaw cycles, you might want to spring for the extra cost. Replacing cracked cement once the garage is in place is not easy to do.

Be sure to have it broomed so it has a good surface texture and is not slippery. It can be a cement with a slippery glossy surface.

Another thing is if it is not level, it is extra difficult to sand with a cement sander. A friend of mine put in a garage with bridge mix and had one section that had to be worked, and it took much longer to sand than regular cement.

When we put a walk way in beside out house we went with bridge mix. It was more expensive but has held up very well.

Last edited:
If you are putting gutters on it, bury some pipe to get the downspouts away from the foundation.

There are some pipes in it. Contractor say's it's going to get covered with mesh and gravel. Also some bigger rocks towards the bottom.

I'll say the dirt guys seem to really know there stuff so I am not that worried about erosion. Right now they are hoping for rain :unsure: said it will help with compacting it. The dirt seems like it has a lot of clay in it, it did rain today and it is very sticky stuff, my boots weigh about 100 lbs now LOL

Reactions: JC1
There are some pipes in it. Contractor say's it's going to get covered with mesh and gravel. Also some bigger rocks towards the bottom.

I'll say the dirt guys seem to really know there stuff so I am not that worried about erosion. Right now they are hoping for rain :unsure: said it will help with compacting it. The dirt seems like it has a lot of clay in it, it did rain today and it is very sticky stuff, my boots weigh about 100 lbs now LOL
Sometimes what the “contractor says” and simple physics (or actual results) turn out to be two very different things.

Be wary though and hopefully you’re knowledgeable and assertive enough to question anything that might seem amiss.

I was wrong, control cuts wnt in today as well.
You can't see it in this picture but they put a nice bevel on the edge where the garage doors are going to go.
Pretty happy with their work, now just waiting for the inevitable first crack LOL
20221004_150347.jpg

20221004_153904.jpg

More concrete work

decided to pour concrete under the side overhang, where implements and other items will be stored
IMG_20221024_124448.jpg

this is the pad for the mini split and the gen set
IMG_20221024_124433.jpg

This is the pad for the furnace if I decide to go that way. This is the only pad they put a disclaimer on (it's gonna crack)
IMG_20221024_124440.jpg

Sidewalk and steps for guest house
IMG_20221024_124455.jpg

IMG_20221024_124506.jpg

Back