Great day for me :) My garage is happening

My garage build has started. The land clearing guys showed up today and started working their magic.

Build is going to be awesome 40' x 60' garage with a built in man cave in the back. I'll be able to park my airstream and tractor indoors and have a bay for working on cars.

Now I need to find a 2 post lift to buy :)

PXL_20211216_145650461.jpg

PXL_20211216_195420135.jpg

I got to get rid of all this tree stuff now :)

PXL_20211216_195402250.jpg

Congrats on getting started with your project! Details on the garage? Traditional wood frame / pole barn / metal building? Did you have to go through an elaborate permitting process where you live?

I'll be in the same boat, hopefully this spring. Planning on a 30x50 steel frame metal building, already have quotes, still working out the details with what I need for permitting before I pull the trigger on the steel package. Luckily the land where it will sit is already fairly flat with no trees. Hoping to do the building erection and pour the footers myself to keep cost down-- these buildings can get expensive quick. I need to get in touch with some concrete contractors soon and get a better handle on that side of things. I'm also planning on a 2-post lift. How thick of a slab did you go with?

Traditional wood frame and metal roof, contractor is dealing with permits but I think it is minimal or none. I think the slab is 6" but I have to confirm as I am not to good on construction details. I know a good bit of work is going into the foundation because of the slope. These guys said they need 4 solid days of prep before they will be ready for the footers. And you are right, it gets expensive fast, like real fast. However, this has been a dream and I have the resources to do it now, so full speed ahead. To save costs we are using some stuff from my house reno, like windows and such. I went with an epoxy floor and finished interior as well.

Traditional wood frame and metal roof, contractor is dealing with permits but I think it is minimal or none. I think the slab is 6" but I have to confirm as I am not to good on construction details. I know a good bit of work is going into the foundation because of the slope. These guys said they need 4 solid days of prep before they will be ready for the footers. And you are right, it gets expensive fast, like real fast. However, this has been a dream and I have the resources to do it now, so full speed ahead. To save costs we are using some stuff from my house reno, like windows and such. I went with an epoxy floor and finished interior as well.
That's awesome, sounds like you're checking all the boxes! You'll have to share some pics along the way, I'll be excited to see how it progresses. If you do find out that slab thickness, let me know. I'm considering 5" for the slab and 6" where my lift will be.

I'm trying to keep mine under $45k or so, so it'll be minimal at first (building shell, overhead door, entry door, insulation, finished slab), but I'll be stubbing up conduit and water pipe for finishing it out later.

When do you project it will be finished? I deferred mine until spring when the weather is nicer, but if I would have known it was going to be mostly 50-60+ degree days all the way through mid-December here, I would have started it in fall. With my luck we'll have a miserably cold spring.

Congratulations.Tell us your wiring plans. I would put a 200 amp service in if possible, two 50 amp outlets for future car chargers, a 40 amp 220 for a welder, ordinary outlets I would make 20 amp instead of 15 amp. 220 v for the car lift. Light up the ceiling with lots of LED tube lights etc. Think it over. :D

Garage or pole building? I’m curious if you looked into both and as to what’s cheaper.

Dad is wanting something about this size.

Congratulations.Tell us your wiring plans. I would put a 200 amp service in if possible, two 50 amp outlets for future car chargers, a 40 amp 220 for a welder, ordinary outlets I would make 20 amp instead of 15 amp. 220 v for the car lift. Light up the ceiling with lots of LED tube lights etc. Think it over. :D
I would pipe everything in 3/4” EMT minus the lights so circuits can be easily added later.

Be sure to dig the footing for your lift at the time you're doing the floor. Otherwise, if you pour a 5.5" floor now and decide to get a lift later, you'll have to cut away the concrete floor, dig it 12 inches deep then pour footings for the lift posts.

Nice size!

I tell you. 25x30 here just is not enough. BUT getting better. My 12x14 shed is now done and all yard and rarely used larger stuff is out there.

Shed:

20211213_154816.jpg

One thing maybe mentioned. This is my first well insulated shop. Oh baby, what a difference. So easy to heat!! (It's 28°F right now outside)

Last edited:
Back